What Amps/Speakers with Axe FX II?

BigMac2304

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and Axe FX II XL. But I am keen to get one. But I have a question, what amp/ Speakers is the Axe FX II XL designed to be played with? Or does it even matter at all? Is it true that with an Axe FX II XL it doesn't even matter what amp or speaker you run it with and you are just able to emulate any tone with any Amp or speaker?

welcome aboard
I guess the answer would be FRFR as then you can really get the most out of the axefx but there is no hard and fast rules.

People use FRFR (full range flat response) as it then lets the axe do its thing.

Some just love the valve amp into a guitar cab sound & feel. Manufacturers make cabinets that are the best of both worlds.

People using the axe at home may just have powered near field monitors or decent headphones.. I use a PA power amp and a couple of 12" tops at home and like it.

There is ALOT of info on this subject so do have a sniff around.

I too am in a similar situation and looking to buy an Axe FX II XL+ and everything to go with it later this summer.

However by reading through many of the threads on here I've come to the conclusion that for the full effect you need to buy a decent quality poweramp, Matrix GT if you can afford it, but if not then buy the best alternative you can, be aware of what input connections are available on it (XLR, 1/4 jack?) and what it has for output connections (speakon, jack?) to deliver the sounds to your chosen cabs. Just remember that the cabs should be FRFR (again such as the Matrix FR or NL) or as close as possible to this ideal.

A lot also depends on whether you are looking at using this purely in the home environment, in a studio, or out on the road... all of these factors will steer you in the right direction.

As for me, since I gig regularly I will be getting the Matrix GT800FX but not sure if my own wallet can stretch to include the FR or NL cabs since I want to run in stereo. This means I am still considering other options.

Other people can probably advise further on cabs but even then they probably need to know what budget you have available.

welcome aboard
I guess the answer would be FRFR as then you can really get the most out of the axefx but there is no hard and fast rules.

People use FRFR (full range flat response) as it then lets the axe do its thing.

Some just love the valve amp into a guitar cab sound & feel. Manufacturers make cabinets that are the best of both worlds.

People using the axe at home may just have powered near field monitors or decent headphones.. I use a PA power amp and a couple of 12" tops at home and like it.

There is ALOT of info on this subject so do have a sniff around.

Hi Muzza Boogie thank you for your reply. I am using Line6 500x going through Stagesource speakers right now would the axe Fx work well with the Stagesource? I have also a Blackstar HT 5R tube amp. Talking about FRFR anyone has a specific FRFR to recommend to run with the Axe FX? Reason I am asking is because even for FRFR's different brands would have different sound qualities. I initially purchased a KRK Rokit 6 to run with my POd 500X but it ends up being too boomy and I have sold it and replaced it with a Line6 Stagesource.

Regards.

I never quite understood this axe + power amp + frfr cab.. Is it just for stage monitoring as if you had a real amp onstage? Can't you just have the axe going straight to foh and then have the signal sent back to stage wedges/iem (like I do)?

I never quite understood this axe + power amp + frfr cab.. Is it just for stage monitoring as if you had a real amp onstage? Can't you just have the axe going straight to foh and then have the signal sent back to stage wedges/iem (like I do)?

Sure, you can have the Axe fed back through the wedges. But it's nice to have a FRFR speaker to program with. You'll want something that does not color the sound, so the signal you send to FOH sounds good and will only need minor EQ adjustments if any.

I use a RCF NX12-SMA. It's a powered wedge, and at 35lbs or so, it's easy to lug around. It's a FRFR speaker, so as long as I play at gig volume when I program presets, they translate great to FOH.

Some people prefer using a power amp and their favorite guitar cab but for the most part, you won't be able to use the Cabinet IR's in the Axe using this method.
You can also use a power amp and passive FRFR speaker. You can still use the Cab IR's with this method.

You're right, all of these options are used primarily so you can hear yourself on stage. But using FRFR speaker/s also makes programming easier.
There are tons of threads on this subject, checking them out would be a great place to start.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and Axe FX II XL. But I am keen to get one. But I have a question, what amp/ Speakers is the Axe FX II XL designed to be played with? Or does it even matter at all? Is it true that with an Axe FX II XL it doesn't even matter what amp or speaker you run it with and you are just able to emulate any tone with any Amp or speaker?

There is a ton of info/discussions around this subject. I think the first thing to keep in mind is that every piece of equipment in a chain can color the sound, so while the Axe can produce a sound similar/very close in some circumstances to a particular amp/speaker. You have to remember that the speaker & electronics you push the Axe through will change the sound. There are folks here who can explain it much better than me but the bottom line is that I believe it does matter what amp or speaker you run with it. The speakers, the cab, the power amp can color your sound. I'd recommend looking at some of the discussions about IRs to get your feet wet.

I have a peavey 50/50 that's pretty flat with the resonance off. Problem is the cab will color it. Using it as a preamp with the cabs off sound pretty damn good. I'll have to try it with the cabs on and see how it sounds... There's always headphones :D

I do plan on getting the Matrix and either the fr212 or 2 of thier 112's for stereo. It will come at a cost. But e erything i have read or heard about just rave about the set up together.

Back
Top Bottom