Well I think I found my speaker cab

daveg62

I made a startling discovery today. I'm fairly new with the Axe-fx (less than 2 weeks) so I've been experimenting a bit with different set-ups to see what sounds best. I tried it with two frfr speakers that I have in my studio. They are DAS DR12A 12 inch 150watt speakers, not that bad really but I don't think I would use them to gig with. Sound ok if you don't push them too hard. Kind of a weird high end when you crank them. I don't think the drivers are big enough in them since they are only 50 watts for the high end. Some great sounds with the cab sims though. I can see why a frfr set-up could be the best option. But I think you really need some great speakers for that. Maybe down the road a bit, it's really the way to go.
So next I was using a ART sla-2 stereo into an earcandy 2X12 with greenmachine speakers in it. Sounded great!... or so I thought.
Today just out of curiosity I tried my Art sla-2 in bridged mode into a Mesa theile cabinet with a single EV12L speaker.... OH MY !!!! Since I only have one I'm running it in mono instead of stereo like I was running the earcandy cabinet. There's just no comparison. The theile cabinet blows it away! I play classic rock to heavier stuff and all the amp models sound so much better into the EV12L loaded cabinet..... now I just need another one :D I think these are a great match for the axe-fx.

I'm sure you're correct that the speaker and cabinet made a difference. You should also consider that you were running it bridged which gave more power to one cabinet. I would run the same setup unbridged on one channel before I drew an absolute conclusion. I'm not positive, but most solid state amps you can run with out a load. Just to be safe you could run one channel into your theile and one channel into your ear candy and pan left to right in the axe to properly A / B the setup.

No I don't think the power had anything to do with it. That amp puts out plenty of power in both modes. I actually turned the volume down to half after bridging the amp since I believe it puts out over 500w in bridged mode, 200watt in stereo. I will be a/b ing them some more though tomorrow. I just can't believe the difference that I heard today.

it's a Marshall SE100? (and a class A my old car really nice to drive in Paris ;) )

hunter said:
Ah I see a T_rex Room Mate, used to own one of these SWEET reverbs back in the day...

yeah, but for you and your Diezel, XTC.....
on the hard left - there is the Treblebooster from Paul Lenders..
THAT´s what you really should try......amazing for every Amp..

dongrosh said:
bmi said:
it's a Marshall SE100? (and a class A my old car really nice to drive in Paris ;) )

YES and YES, SE100 and A-Klasse (of my wife.....)
How do you find the SE100? How is the reduction with 18db, i think it's not bedroom level.(you need more for a 100w)(girls like so much this kind of car ;) )

bmi said:
dongrosh said:
bmi said:

YES and YES, SE100 and A-Klasse (of my wife.....)
How do you find the SE100? How is the reduction with 18db, i think it's not bedroom level.(you need more for a 100w)(girls like so much this kind of car ;) )

no, it´s no bedroom level, in that kind you need the phantom
(which i will by soon as rackunit)......

http://www.faustineamps.com/phantom.html

and we will switch to an B-Klasse.....

dongrosh said:
no, it´s no bedroom level, in that kind you need the phantom
(which i will by soon as rackunit)......

http://www.faustineamps.com/phantom.html

and we will switch to an B-Klasse.....

If you have a Phantom Don, I think I'd be tempted to come to Emmendingen around my next parent visit and bring the XTC for trying (you the XTC, me the Phantom), what do you think?

I know the phantom, just seen yesterday the video with pete thorn. Seems to works fine but i'm not sure that it works better than a Marshall SE100 or a Koch Loadboax.
The Phantom is a classic power reduction using a network of power resistors.
Have you compared the SE100 and an Hotplate. Some says that the Hotplate sucks the tone and not the SE100.

bmi said:
I know the phantom, just seen yesterday the video with pete thorn. Seems to works fine but i'm not sure that it works better than a Marshall SE100 or a Koch Loadboax.
The Phantom is a classic power reduction using a network of power resistors.
Have you compared the SE100 and an Hotplate. Some says that the Hotplate sucks the tone and not the SE100.

I know and i have seen a video are two different things IMO :)
But i trust in Pete Thorn and some other guys.....we well see (or better hear)

and yes,

i compared the Hotplate with the Marshall, forget the Hotplate, sucks totally,
the clear winner was the Marshall, a great Unit (it´s developed by Groove Tubes btw)
I love it for it´s versatility and i would even prefer it before the SPL-Tonehunter units....

Never compare with the koch loadbox?

It seems to me that the greatest power attenuators are those made with the classic network resistor(more simple it is better it works). You can do it easily for small amp the schematic is really simple and i know where to find an excel sheet to calculate the values depending on the speaker load. A lot of people have tried it here in France for small amps up to 20 watt and are really happy with it.
I have seen a picture of the inside of the faustine and it clearly looks like that. (with biggest resistors of course)
Don't know for the marshall but if the koch loadbox use the same network resistors you should get the same result.
Just asking all these questions because even if it's pete thorn even if it sounds great, it's expensiv for what it does.

I will try myself to do a simple 22db attenuator for my plexi.
I will keep you abreast.

with a single EV12L speaker.... OH MY !!!!

Daveg62.....I could not agree more I run 2 EV's in a 2x12 Carvin Legacy Cab open most of the time and I agree "OH My !!!" What a great sound.....

I've been trying out the AFX in different combinations with the eqipment that I have. As my original post says I have found that the earcandy cab just doesn't sound as good as the mesa theile. So I've been trying different amps next. I just can't seem to get a great sound out of the ART sla-2 even with the theile. Good but not great, just seems too sterile with the solid state amp. So I've kind of gone back to my original set-up with the AFX feeding the loop return of my mesa mark III and powering the combo open back speaker which is an eminence swamp thang and the theile EV12l. So it seems I still need to lug around my heavy mesa but I just can't seem to jive with the ART SLA-2 set-up. This rig does sound good though. Last night going through amp sims I was stuck on the Uberschall. Sounded awesome with a boost pedal in front.

Back
Top Bottom