Weird Speaker Drive in 5.07

Trazan

Experienced
From about 6 and up, Speaker Drive results in some weird "compression" - audio level drops. Closing on max Speaker Drive, these level dips are all the way down to zero output...

It really depends on the signal you are hitting it with. It sounds the same as before to me. High settings are simulating a speaker at failing point. If you haven't heard that before turn the speaker drive to 8 -10. That just about nails it.

I didn't ever notice anything like this before. I can't really get to that typical breakup sound before these weird level dips.

I didn't ever notice anything like this before. I can't really get to that typical breakup sound before these weird level dips.

i'll compare it with the previous firmware tomorrow but the amp block does not even appear to be messed with at all in this update.

I only fooled around back in 5.02, so it may have passed me by in 5.04b. I'll do some recordings and/or some presets.

Speaker Drive on 8.75. It sounds kinda like a speaker on the verge of breakdown on lower notes, but really weird behaviour on the higher notes:

Speaker Drive on 8.75. It sounds kinda like a speaker on the verge of breakdown on lower notes, but really weird behaviour on the higher notes:

On the high notes, it sounds a bit like a combination of "fuzz" effect and some weird "modulation" of sorts (like a random univibe or something?)

hmmm....?

Bill

Hmm...How about this preset? Not getting those weird level drops on higher notes?

Attachments

• SpeakerDriveBehaviour.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
FELIX+THE+CAT+WHISTLE+BLACK.jpg

I cranked the speaker drive on a couple of patches all the way to 10 last night and didn't get this behavior, just the typical farting speaker sound you get with the control maxed out.

Have you been in touch with support?

I cranked the speaker drive on a couple of patches all the way to 10 last night and didn't get this behavior, just the typical farting speaker sound you get with the control maxed out.

Have you been in touch with support?

And you are on 5.07? Could you try the preset I posted above? The volume dipping is seriously extreme in that, on the higher notes.

Hmm...How about this preset? Not getting those weird level drops on higher notes?

You have some extreme settings in the Amp Block.

E.g. the Bright Cap value.

Have you tried with the default Cameron CH 2 block, default Cab block settings and *just* increasing the Speaker Drive?

No delay, no verb.

Richard

You have some extreme settings in the Amp Block.

E.g. the Bright Cap value.

Have you tried with the default Cameron CH 2 block, default Cab block settings and *just* increasing the Speaker Drive?

No delay, no verb.

Richard

I've tried different amps and settings. So, did you get those insane level ups and downs on higher notes on this preset?

I like that farty breakup sound for some uses....but that strange behaviour on higher notes makes it somewhat unusable. Doesn't sound like it could be intended behaviour for the Speaker Drive parameter.

I've tried different amps and settings. So, did you get those insane level ups and downs on higher notes on this preset?

I like that farty breakup sound for some uses....but that strange behaviour on higher notes makes it somewhat unusable. Doesn't sound like it could be intended behaviour for the Speaker Drive parameter.

Here are my adjustments.

Caveat: I haven't given the Cameron's any attention in the past, so I don't have any go to settings.

I only spent 20 minutes on this one. I like it.

Speaker drive is the same as yours but doesn't have the issues your patch does. And really after 8.0 on the speaker drive, something really good happens... kinda cool for me.

Richard

You misunderstand my intentions here, Richard. I'm just curious whether this is intended behaviour, and I don't remember it happening in previous firmwares. I can replicate this behaviour on most of the original higher gain presets (at least of the ones that I tried...e.g. Plexi Treble, 1987x Treble, Highpower Brilliant) just by turning up the speaker drive to about 8. Yes, it's gone in your patch, but that's not my question. Your patch also sounds severely different.

Bottom line, I can't imagine any speaker behaving like that ;)

The range of the speaker drive parameter is far greater than you would be able to push any real speaker before it self-destructed. If it doesn't sound good set that high, simply turn it down.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I move my arm like this".

As I said above, with the preset I posted, something good happened when I went past 8 with the speaker drive. That surprised me.

The range of the speaker drive parameter is far greater than you would be able to push any real speaker before it self-destructed. If it doesn't sound good set that high, simply turn it down.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I move my arm like this".

I've experimented extensively with the speaker drive with many different patches. I think the point that's being made here is that the Speaker Drive does not behave like a real speaker being driven hard before it begins to completely drop out, and not when you would expect it to on low notes or even chords but on high notes and becomes unusable. "Turning it down" doesn't yield the desired (and realistic) result of a heavily distorted speaker.

Most speakers I've overdriven will distort a lot more and even bottom out with a buzzing noise before they self destruct, and I've never heard one behave like the Speaker Drive simulation - not even close. I simply can't get enough distortion out of the speaker before it begins dropping out and becomes totally unusable.

Since the IRs are only capable of EQ and can't simulate the non-linearity of a real speaker, perhaps several different models to choose from in the Speaker Drive control would be of tremendous help. Speaker non-linearity plays a large part in the overall sound of a guitar rig, and with all due respect, it's clearly apparent that some of us, including myself, don't consider the current model to be representative of the behavior of a typical guitar speaker and feel that our concerns should not be so casually dismissed.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom