Weird? Axe Direct tone-difference with speakers in the room!

hunter

Experienced
I was just playing around with the CAE3Ld and so I started to record some Gary Moore, direct Axe to audio interface.

Now something weird happened:
I recorded the first half of the song, but then there is this feedback part, which can't work with my studio monitors, so I stopped, kept the first half and switched the VHT2502 and Bogner 4x12 on, still direct recording, I punched in at 2:05 or sth for that feedback and the second half of the song.

Not sure what it is, either my playing changed because of the guitar cab pumping air or the response between speakers and pickups does something special, I think the second half from the feedback on sounds so much more alive and fat ... strange, because recording wise it's 100% the same direct Axe FX setup as in the first half.

Check it out and tell me if my brain cells start to crumble or I am right:
http://www.thegutbusters.com/temp/parisienne.mp3

Tis the secret to killer tones.

You NEED to have volume, you NEED to have the tone and amp/speaker output interacting with the guitar for it to feel alive and be responsive. I don't care if you play jazz, metal, or pop or anything else. If you play electric guitar, the whole interactive 'thing' is built between your tone and the guitar/strings interacting with the amplified tone.

That's the magic.

The key to great direct tones, beyond the quality of the 'tone' is that interactive component. And for decades guys that play in the room with their amps blasting or CRANK up the big monitors in the control rooms get the best tones and best playing experience.

hunter said:
Not sure what it is, either my playing changed because of the guitar cab pumping air or the response between speakers and pickups does something special,
It is the feedback loop between the guitar and the speakers that makes the bulk of the difference. The guitar body/neck vibrates in response to sound from the speakers. The body's vibration excites vibrations in the strings, which cause a signal to be generated in the pickups. The signal is amplified by the processor and amplifier and radiated by the speakers, which excites the guitar body/neck....

strange, because recording wise it's 100% the same direct Axe FX setup as in the first half.
The character of the signal from the guitar (frequency response and signal strength) is altered by the feedback loop, even when you're not using it to sustain notes.

javajunkie said:
volume and the freq response of the speakers will have a definite impact on feedback tone.

Yeah this is very true. But I was referring to the tone as such, not only when in feedback. It seems to change completely, more rounded, fatter, more dynamic ...

hunter said:
javajunkie said:
volume and the freq response of the speakers will have a definite impact on feedback tone.

Yeah this is very true. But I was referring to the tone as such, not only when in feedback. It seems to change completely, more rounded, fatter, more dynamic ...

Sorry, didn't see scotts and jays posts when I posted this one.

Yeah it makes sense. Interaction is the game, guess that's why people in studios still play in the amp room rather than the monitoring room.

Jay Mitchell said:
hunter said:
Not sure what it is, either my playing changed because of the guitar cab pumping air or the response between speakers and pickups does something special,
It is the feedback loop between the guitar and the speakers that makes the bulk of the difference. The guitar body/neck vibrates in response to sound from the speakers. The body's vibration excites vibrations in the strings, which cause a signal to be generated in the pickups. The signal is amplified by the processor and amplifier and radiated by the speakers, which excites the guitar body/neck....

strange, because recording wise it's 100% the same direct Axe FX setup as in the first half.
The character of the signal from the guitar (frequency response and signal strength) is altered by the feedback loop, even when you're not using it to sustain notes.

Exactly. And like Andrew said, that in turn affect the way you play.

hunter said:
Now something weird happened:
I recorded the first half of the song, but then there is this feedback part, which can't work with my studio monitors...

Out of curiosity, why do you say you can't get feedback with your monitors? Same as with a real guitar amp really... crank it up, stand in the right spot. Had to do it a few weeks back for a recording... While it was quite a bit of fun, we really did spend far too much time picking and recording the right three or four feedback notes. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom