Warning: Buy a Axe-FX II on ebay today (May 22?)

JackoMBA

Hi guys,

Just a heads up. I almost got caught (I think) today on Ebay.

I was having my coffee this morning and saw this ad. from a Canadian ebayer, from what looked like someone from British Columbia. I have an Ultra and from time to time look to see if any Canadians are selling their Axe FX II to avoid taxes and customs.

The price is $1,999, which is not necessarily "too good to be true", but still a very good deal. I decided to buy it through Paypal and pay with my Credit Card as a funding source for extra security.

A short while later, I got an email saying it will ship (in broken english) in 3-4 business days. It also said he was from Quebec. I politely told him I was confused since the ad. clearly statedit would ship within 1 business day. He said it would ship today but in order to avoid customs and taxes (which is why I did in the first place) it would go to BC first, and a tracking number would only be available in 3-4 days.

I emailed back that I was still confused since there would be no customs charges since it was all within Canada. He said UPS would have a tracking number on May 27. I could request a refund if this was not acceptable.

I got my money back from him today already.

I see there are 8 that have been sold today in two listings (if you check "completed" listings for Axe-FX). What really sounded off the alarms is that a few hours I bought it, another 5 were available. It also says it ships with firmware 8.

It might be legit, but I'd be totally surprised.

Here is the link to the closed item:

Fractal Audio AXE FX II | eBay

It sounds a bit squirley. You're perfectly within your right to cancel the deal if you get the wiggins about any part of it.

Funny, I just sold an AxeFX to a fellow in Canada. You're right, I believe if its a sale within Canada you don't have any customs charges. It would make little sense for customs to charge fees for items sold within Canada.

Oh well, better luck on your next deal. Check the For Sale forums periodically. I'm sure you'll find the right deal eventually.

In my case, I would have to pay $260 of taxes, plus potentially brokerage fees for a few hundreds too. I'm just casually looking for a deal if it presents itself. Apparently, this one was not it. hehe

Its scary; but there was a guy on here recently saying he was from quebec too who was trying to scam people, was he not??

I just bought mine new.. and while $2700 isnt fun when americans often get used ones for $2100 or less shipped.. Oh well, thats how shitty Canadians have it =[

The lessons I've learned from eBay are, if it sounds sketchy, contact the seller to see if they're new to the process or not a native speaker. If the seller seems sketchy, GTFO.

Look at his seller information: his entire ebay history is 33 deals.

I might buy a $7 iPhone 5 case from somebody with 33 deals, but a $2,000 piece of music gear? Really?

The guy seems to have sold AxeFX 2 units to people in the past and got good feedback. My only question is where do you get 5 new units, sell them for $200 bucks off list and still turn a product. Maybe they fell off a lorry or something.

The guy seems to have sold AxeFX 2 units to people in the past and got good feedback. My only question is where do you get 5 new units, sell them for $200 bucks off list and still turn a product. Maybe they fell off a lorry or something.

Or they had help falling off!! :shock

Scammers set up multiple accounts so it looks like people are buying and giving feedback when in fact it's all the same person. Not saying that's what this is, just be careful and go with your intuition.

I took a chance since I paid with PayPal. These are older 2 models so I figure the discount was for that. I will let you know how things turn out.

Joe...

Let us know how it turns out. The only reason I bit on the sale originally was because it was through Ebay and Paypal. Good luck.

Why no option to collect?
5 Axe2s? Maybe he works near the window in a UPS depot?
Can he provide a serial number?

If it was me I'd be making them jump through hoops before doing anything.

Another thing to note....

Look at all the feedback listings for all the items sold.
All top,dollar items....most are $500 and up to $2000 on average? C'mon ....really?
All of them are mostly electronics.....from GPS to Cameras....to Axe FXII (within days of each other)...binoculars..etc.
All positive feedback of course.

Sounds like he is fishing.....and hasn't been caught yet. It only takes one "real person" to purchase an item that doesn't exist. Then the fraudulent seller makes that $2000 or whatever on the item that was never shipped.

Only takes one time.

I had someone hijack an old eBay account of mine and did just that. They had sold several laptops and cameras to several people that filed complaints that they never received. Then the Scotland Yard calls me up in Boston and says.....is this you? :) ummm no

Another thing to note....

Look at all the feedback listings for all the items sold.
All top,dollar items....most are $500 and up to $2000 on average? C'mon ....really?
All of them are mostly electronics.....from GPS to Cameras....to Axe FXII (within days of each other)...binoculars..etc.
All positive feedback of course.

Sounds like he is fishing.....and hasn't been caught yet. It only takes one "real person" to purchase an item that doesn't exist. Then the fraudulent seller makes that $2000 or whatever on the item that was never shipped.

Only takes one time.

I had someone hijack an old eBay account of mine and did just that. They had sold several laptops and cameras to several people that filed complaints that they never received. Then the Scotland Yard calls me up in Boston and says.....is this you? :) ummm no

some of those purchases the buyers have feedback in the 100's including some that bought the axe which makes it seem somewhat legit :/

I hope the guy that bought it doesn't get scammed regardless

some of those purchases the buyers have feedback in the 100's including some that bought the axe which makes it seem somewhat legit :/

I hope the guy that bought it doesn't get scammed regardless

Ok, so I am no longer purchasing the FX2 from the seller because he said I would get full warranty which is not the case. I told him since his statement of getting a full warranty is without merit, I asked for my money back and he refunded things pretty quickly. So, from that perspective, I can't say anything bad. I guess it seemed a nice deal if it still had the warranty. What he was selling was some older boxes that maybe he horded early on and now is trying to dump them. No matter, I'm still gonna get me one of these but I'll probably just bite the bullet and get it right from Fractal.

Back
Top Bottom