Warmoth's new website BLOWS!!!

Not a trivial site to build, but not as impossible as they're making it seem. I wonder if the database schema is poorly designed for its purpose. Even if that's true, they should have been able to refactor it by now.

Makes me want to have a crack at it myself (longtime with dev here), but I've got a gig that keeps me "pretty busy". ;)

Sure, it's not completely trivial. But there is nothing about it particularly complex. The amount of data required to render the site is trivial - we're talking about tables with thousands of rows, not 10s of millions. The site used to perform quite reasonably so there was nothing wrong with the fundamentals in terms of performance - inventory query/lookup, hardware, etc. I'm not even sure how you could design a schema bad enough to perform as lousy as the Warmoth site.

I just navigated to the in stock Tele necks. That loads just fine. They may pre-cache the top level entry points. When I click to sort by price it triggers a single web request to fetch this content: https://warmoth.com/index.php/guitar-necks/telecaster?dir=asc&order=sort_price. This returns 9.2k of gzip'd html that is for the inner page rendering. This took 43 seconds! 43 seconds to fetch a trivial amount of content is absurd. Just opening that URL in a new tab took over a minute and returned 48k of html used to render the whole page because it was a new navigate.

The only thing that makes sense is the owner's brother did the site and he doesn't want to offend him. Other than that it is baffling why they don't "get with the program", literally, and make it right.

PSA:
Forgive the necrobump, but you may be pleased to know they've updated the site. WAY faster on mobile.
Definitely!

Although when displayed in portrait the "hamburger" menu in the upper left is non-functional on my iPad. Rotating to landscape causes a menu to appear and the hamburger goes away.

Yep much improved! No sort by weight though is quite the omition- perhaps hasn't been implemented yet. Only way to find weight is to click on item- doesn't show in quick window.

Right. Still some bugs, same with sorting by price (on mobile at least). But man is it fast. I bet they get a spike in sales.

Back
Top Bottom