Warmoth guitar bodies - top wood options?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I've been seriously considering a high end build using a Warmoth body and a Musikraft neck.

While going thru the custom builder app, I don't see option for an actual top wood. Only 1/8" laminate tops seem to be a choice.

Didn't they used to offer a full cap option or am I crazy?

I must have been tired last night. My brain was reading "veneer" and not "laminate"...

However, 1/8" veneer still seems pretty thin compared to other high end builders, no?

Depends on the body shape flat verses carved maybe?
I saw a post a few minutes ago from John Suhr. They use 3/16" on the drop top guitars like the Modern.

That's 1.5 times as thick as Warmoth.

Same for Tom Anderson and also I think Kiesel.

Apparently PRS uses 1/4" on the carved tops, which is 2x (Warmoth uses 1/8” even on carved tops).

I saw a post a few minutes ago from John Suhr. They use 3/16" on the drop top guitars like the Modern.

Apparently PRS uses 1/4" on the carved tops, which is 2x (Warmoth uses 1/8” even on carved tops).
Unless Kiesel changed up their recipe from the Carvin days, totally possible pretty sure they use 1/2" at least that's what's on both of my Carvin guitars.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I've been seriously considering a high end build using a Warmoth body and a Musikraft neck.

While going thru the custom builder app, I don't see option for an actual top wood. Only 1/8" laminate tops seem to be a choice.

Any particular reason you are going with Musikraft necks as opposed to Warmoth? Reason I ask is I have a body that I want to do a build on this year and was considering a Warmoth neck.

Any particular reason you are going with Musikraft necks as opposed to Warmoth? Reason I ask is I have a body that I want to do a build on this year and was considering a Warmoth neck.
I'm looking to get a profile as close as possible to my DK-24 neck and Warmoth has limited profile options.

I've emailed Musikraft to get their input on which is the closest. Waiting to hear back.

I'm looking to get a profile as close as possible to my DK-24 neck and Warmoth has limited profile options.

I've emailed Musikraft to get their input on which is the closest. Waiting to hear back.
I figured you were trying to get close an Ibanez neck carve or it was a headstock thing wasn't sure!

I figured you were trying to get close an Ibanez neck carve or it was a headstock thing wasn't sure!
Speaking of headstocks, I like the beak style from Musikraft best (similar to Suhr/Anderson)... Compared to the Warmoth headstock, which isn't too bad either.

I've had tons of Warmoth necks over the decades. Musikraft makes superior necks in the Charvel/Jackson realm as far as the carve. There's also something about the Warmoth Vintage/Modern truss rig that seems to clunk up the resonance. Also, the Warmoth strat headstock is wrong and ugly.

I have a custom Tele body coming from Warmoth due in 4 weeks.
I chose a 1 piece swamp ash body with a book matched flame maple top in cherry burst.
With all the special cuts, forearm, tummy, neck heel :)
I'll most likely go with Alder and quilted Maple but might go for swamp Ash instead of Alder.

I'm waffling between Purple dye and Dragon Burst.

Purple is my favorite color but I do have a purple Suhr Modern. I don't have any green guitars and that Dragon Burst really pops!

I'll most likely go with Alder and quilted Maple but might go for swamp Ash instead of Alder.

Purple is my favorite color but I do have a purple Suhr Modern. I don't have any green guitars and that Dragon Burst really pops!
Dragon bursts look really nice and I like the one I have but can be dark if there isn't a lot of light. As far as headstock shapes go I have never been a fan of the Fender style headstocks especially the CBS style, way to bulbus and heavy looking, I do like the look of the Suhr headstock and for Warmoth the Warhead shape is cool for the 6 on a side. I also like the look of the Hombre!

I'm with you on the Musikraft headstock, The beak is a nice shape as well!

Last edited:

Speaking of cool looking colors on quilted maple, I'll just leave this here.......best color I've seen in awhile.
instrument-3.png

As far as I can remember, an 1/8th" lam top is what they offer on Strat style bodies. You can get a carved top Soloist body but the top will be two pieces sandwiched with some sort of binding. They don't do thick solid tops... You can call and see if anything is available off menu...

Suhr also uses 3/8" tops on the standard and possibly the classic bodies. My standard has a 3/8" plain maple top with scraped binding.

I've had tons of Warmoth necks over the decades. Musikraft makes superior necks in the Charvel/Jackson realm as far as the carve. There's also something about the Warmoth Vintage/Modern truss rig that seems to clunk up the resonance. Also, the Warmoth strat headstock is wrong and ugly.
I have one Warmoth Modern construction neck with the dual acting truss rod. The neck is dead! Completely killed the resonance of the guitar I installed it on. Immediately put the original neck back on.

Back
Top Bottom