Wah state reset when changing presets - SP-1

acidfrost

Inspired
Hello everyone!

I'm having an "issue" with the wah state with an expression pedal.

I have the MFC-101 Mk3, Axe-Fx 2 and a Mission Engineering SP-1. The SP-1 is plugged in in 2 expression ports on the MFC, as it should be, one for the switch and one for the pedal itself.

I use the switch to engage my wah and the expression pedal to control the wah.

When I switch from one preset to another while the wah is engaged, it turns the wah off, which is OK because that's what I want it to do.
The problem is the state of the SP-1 switch is not resetted, meaning, I now have to click it TWICE to reengage the wah (as I didn't use the switch to turn off the wah, only changed presets.)

Is there a way to reset the switch to zero on the sp-1 when a preset is changed? Should I change the switch type (kits sold on the mission engineering website.)?

Thanks!

The problem is the switch is physically still in the "on" position. I haven't figured out a solution, but I haven't really tried too hard either. Might just be how it is...

Try this:
connect the switch to XS1 and not XP2.
Set XS1 to Toggle and TypHDW.

I think you need to change the switch in your pedal to a MOMENTARY type.

Quoth the FractalNomicon (OK... the Wiki)

• Some expression pedals have a separate switch. You can use separate connections for the pedal and the switch and configure the switch to activate an effect which then can be controlled with the pedal, such as a wah.
    • Connect the expression pedal to the MFC using one of the 4 expression pedal inputs on the MFC. Use a stereo (TRS) cable.
    • Connect the switch to one of the 2 switch inputs on the MFC. Use either a stereo (TRS) or mono (TS) cable. If using a mono cable, disable the other connection of the switch in the setup menu.
    • On the Axe-Fx, insert a Wah block in the preset.
    • Set the FREQ or CONTROL parameter of the Wah block to the External controller (the one that's tied to to the expression pedal, see below).
    • Use Damping if desired. Set PC RST to On. Keep Auto-engage Off because you will be using the switch.
    • Save the preset with the Wah disabled.
    • In I/O > Ctrl on the Axe-Fx, note which CC is used for the Wah 1 block (default #97).
    • In I/O > Ctrl on the Axe-Fx, note which CC is used for the External controller which is tied to the expression pedal, mentioned above.
    • In I/O > Midi on the Axe-Fx, verify that the External controller which is tied to the expression pedal is set to 0%.
    • Make sure that the expression pedal is calibrated (Edit > Setup on the MFC).
    • Make a connection between the pedal and the Axe-Fx by selecting the right CC and channel in Edit > MIDI on the MFC. Make sure you select the correct pedal input (XP1 - XP4). The CC must match the External controller's CC on the Axe-Fx (see above).
    • In Edit > Setup on the MFC set the external switch to Toggle. Make sure you select the correct switch input (XS1 - XS4).
    • Make a connection between the switch and the Axe-Fx by selecting the right CC and channel in Edit > MIDI on the MFC. Make sure you select the correct switch input (XS1 - XS4). The CC must match the CC of the Wah block on the Axe-Fx (see above). Set type to HDW. When using a mono cable for the switch, disable the other connection (set it to Off) to prevent MIDI problems.
    • Tell the MFC the switch values for Off and On (Edit > MIDI). 000 = Off. 127 = On. If the LED works vice versa, switch the values: 000 = On, 127 = Off.

See MFC-101 Tips - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I have the same Mission Engineering SP-1 pedal setup that you are describing. The official recommendation as shown above, is that you set the switch to a TOGGLE, but I have mine set to MOMENTARY and it works. As always, Matt speaks wisdom :)

Thanks for the info.
I followed the wiki and it still doesn't work exactly as I want.
If I turn the WAH on, and switch presets while it's on, it turns back on. I want it to reset when I switch presets. It seems like either the MFC or the axe sends a query to see in which state the switch is (on or off).
Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks

Maybe if I rephrase it it might help.
What I want the switch to do is to toggle the wah on or off (on or bypassed) regardless of the switch state (closed or open).

So when I press the switch, regardless of it previous state, it will toggle the state of the wah.
If the wah is on on that preset, it will turn it off. If the wah is off on that preset, it will turn it on.

I have a non-spring-loaded SP-1 with the LED option but not using it for Wah, mostly as a volume/lead boost pedal and assigned the switch (currently) to an EXTRN controller. Since the switch is a toggle, the LED tells me what state it's in. I'm using a spring-loaded EP-1 primarily for Wah and using the Auto Engage feature, which I love!

What I want the switch to do is to toggle the wah on or off (on or bypassed) regardless of the switch state (closed or open).
Can't do that, unfortunately. My old GP-100 had that ability, allowing you to set the behavior to "Normal" or "Toggle." Too bad the Axe mops the floor with it in just about every other way. :)

Here's another thread on this topic.

If you set the switch to typTOG, the MFC will no longer poll the switch state after switching presets, and the Wah block's saved state will be recalled. Like you want. However, the pedal's switch state will not be in sync anymore so you may have to press the switch twice to engage the Wah.

Aahh that sucks. From what a read from that thread is even if I change physically the switch to a momentary one, it won't do it.

Oh but what if I programmed the on and off position to both 127 instead of 127-0, would that work as a toggle switch?

That's a creative idea. Might work (with type set to TypTOG), I don't know.

Oh but what if I programmed the on and off position to both 127 instead of 127-0, would that work as a toggle switch?
That would mean that the switch is both on and off at the same time. Could be interesting, but I'm pretty sure it won't be what you want. :)

Back
Top Bottom