Wah Kicked In Automatically

Was playing a gig last nite and all of a sudden the wah engaged and I lost all high end (like the pedal was waiting for me to start the sweep). I moved the pedal back and forth a couple times and that seemed to do the trick but I have no idea what caused it. Anyone ever run into this issue? Thanks.

Hmm, maybe a bad TRS cable? When something like this happens, its almost always a cable issue. Where you switching scenes or presets when it happened? Scene revert or scene ignore? Maybe share the preset and someone can find an oddity in the preset.

Did you have the "Auto Engage" feature set? I have had this happen and it is usually that I do have that feature turned on (because I like it) and I accidentally touch the pedal knocking it out of it's heel fully down position, where the wah is not engaged.

If you're using auto engage, and not using a spring loaded pedal you may want to consider adjusting the settings.

Sometimes pedals "drift" into the activation range via stage vibrations, etc...

Alternately, as mentioned a bad (intermittent) cable or the cable being not fully connected can trigger that.

That used to happen to me on the reg with my Axe2. Only while gigging, oddly. Made it really annoying to troubleshoot.

I'm sure it was an auto-engage parm that I overlooked. I think it went away when I started a new main preset from scratch.

If you're using auto engage, and not using a spring loaded pedal you may want to consider adjusting the settings.

Alternately, as mentioned a bad (intermittent) cable or the cable being not fully connected can trigger that.
I didn't even think of drift, great point. Have you tried calibrating the EXP pedal?

This. A toe-up pedal can sag down, and vice versa. If your expression pedal has a tension adjustment, tighten it up a bit.

Thanks. I have it set toe down as off and I definitely didn’t touch it before it happened. Could it make a slight heel down move on its own?

I'm replacing the Mission pedal on my III's board eventually, the treadle can no longer be tightened and in live situation the vibrations cause it to fall forward in the toe-down position, before it got that loose it'd slowly start creeping that way and engage. Fortunately, I really enjoy the feel of the spring-loaded one that I have on my FM9 board, definitely going with that for the III.

I'm replacing the Mission pedal on my III's board eventually, the treadle can no longer be tightened and in live situation the vibrations cause it to fall forward in the toe-down position, before it got that loose it'd slowly start creeping that way and engage. Fortunately, I really enjoy the feel of the spring-loaded one that I have on my FM9 board, definitely going with that for the III.
Spring loaded are great... But you can change to one of the "speed" settings mentioned above in the interim to avoid the problem.

Back
Top Bottom