Wah Comparison: Axe internal Wah vs. RMC3=>Axe

hunter

Experienced
Here is a small comparison I did. To get the pronounced tone of the RMC I programmed 2 Wahs in parallel in the Axe. Other than that it's same amp settings and same guitar, first a more high gain example, using "Brown", then a lower gain example using "Plexi1".

Obviously there is not THE Axe Wah or THE RMC3, as both are highly flexible and can each create extremely different sounds.
Still, I would be interested what you think about the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtqKE4_Mmk&fmt=18

BIG difference !

There's probably a bit more tweaking to do in the Axe...
More Q, lower fmax ?... Try a lowpas filter, maybe ?

FractalAudio said:
I don't understand the point of putting 2 in parallel.

Hm, let's say gives a fatter sound if you slightly change the filter parameters between Wah 1 and Wah 2, so as the 2 Wahs are working not 100% identical, there are some non-linearities happening that make it more fat and interesting. E.g. one Wah with a lower LoFreq and Higher HiFreq than the other, but the other maybe a bit more resonance, etc, gives some interesting effects.

The wah block is linear. Therefore putting two in parallel will also be linear. This is a basic property of linear systems.

I highly doubt the RMC is running two filters in parallel.

FractalAudio said:
The wah block is linear. Therefore putting two in parallel will also be linear. This is a basic property of linear systems.

I highly doubt the RMC is running two filters in parallel.

Two things will happen in this configuration

First, the signal will be louder and as we know louder is often perceived better when immediately compared with an otherwise identical tone.

second, it will hit the amp harder giving it a little more drive.

Of course this can be duplicated by only using 1 wah and increasing the level 6db.

However, the differing frequencies on the sweep would give a different response as well(as one bottoms out and the other keeps going - probably very subtle), right?

I am not running the 2 Wahs at 0dB but less than that.

With non-linear I am not describing the slope of the filter sweep, but what I want to say is that there are two peaks generated by the two filters and they are shifting against each other. A wah doesn't have a simple band pass with one resonant peak, but the circuit will generate peaks and drops at different spots within the signal that passes through the bandpass.

I a trying to get two peaks running in different ways to create a more lively sound, then multiplied by mixing the two together.

Hope this makes any sense.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    9 KB · Views: 357
Hey there hunter... I didn't know which was which just listening to it and I must say that during the first clip I couldn't tell that much difference... but the 2nd clip is definitely a big difference... I initially though the 2nd clip first wah was the analog, then I read where it shows that it's the Axe-fx... much more character than the analog one. Can you post the patch so show the settings on the 2 wah's?

Great riff on the 2nd clip... maybe you should record it direct to better hear the differences...

They sound both good to me in their own right... though I have to admit that the RMC 3 sounds, in the first clip, much wilder, not as sterile as the axe, maybe it's just that the settings in the axe fx are not appropriate (it would be good if we could have reference settings for famous wah pedals on the axe wiki)... no quarter sounded much better with the rmc3 imo, again, maybe it's just the wrong settings dialed in for the axe wah...

Btw: Could you post your no quarter patch?

The Rmc3 is rounder... or, put in antother way, it has less high content. You have not nailed the frequency/setting, in my opinion. Start using one wha+overdrive to smooth some high, use slew rate to taste, as they were part of the same circuit.

Porkchop Xpress said:
Joker said:
Btw: Could you post your no quarter patch?

+1

Problem is I didn't save it. But I should be able to dial it in again, as I used the HG patch, changed amp to Plex1, Maxed Gain increased Delay level and that was pretty much it.

Don't expect it to be perfect for FRFR though as this was VHT2502 and 2x12 cab.

Will DL it later and also post the wah settings (for dual/parallel wah).

Back
Top Bottom