Volume jump on Scene 2 ???

ta6rma

Inspired
Hi guys

Just been experimenting with scenes on FW9 and have noticed something weird.
Scene 2 is noticeably louder than the other scenes (1, 3, 4....)
I have checked over everything I can think of.
I set scenes 2 & 3 to be identical - turned everything off except the amp & cab, main output levels & X/Y states are the same - yet for some reason S2 is much louder than S3.

Any ideas? I'm baffled

Last edited:
check the effects loop if you are using your axe and looping external devices into and out of it. You may find radically different and bizarre settings there.

I noticed this as well. After starting the Axe, my Scene 1 on a preset would be loaded. I'd play and have the volume level I was expecting.

Switching to scenes 2, 3 and 4 would boost the volume significantly. They were all setup to be at -8db main output, bypass states, X/Y, etc. I would flip through the scenes a few times and then the volume levels would be proper between scenes. All other playing while the Axe was on would behave properly. But once I rebooted the Axe, the volume jump between scenes was there again.

On a whim, I decided to set all of the main output levels to 0db on a preset's scenes and lower the Global Output to -8db. (Essentially the same output volume). After this adjustment the volume jumps went away.

I suspect that the scene output levels might have a bug.

-rob

I just had something similar happen. I set up scenes one, two and three. I noticed the output level was high so I lowered it on the Amp block. After that is when I noticed that scenes two and three were louder than scene one. I ended up finding that somehow the Main level in the Out tab had gotten lowered on scene one. I was never even in that tab, so it must have occurred "automatically." Once I reset that to zero, all is fine.

Yes I've had the same thing happen. But only intermittently.
I have set up an IA switch on my MFC to toggle between S1 & S2 (Thanks for the help Yek!). In each S2 I've checked all the blocks, X/Y states, FX loop Levels, Preset output levels, everything I can think of. Most of the time it works fine, but every few times, I toggle to S2, and BAM, the volume is searingly loud, causing Output 1 to clip badly. Toggling some more S1/S2 then makes no difference to S2. The only way to resolve it is to toggle manually between S1/S2 using the quick control A knob.

Same deal almost- on one patch (and only one, weird) scene 2 and 3 were much lower than 1 (1 was SCREAMING loud into the red) after the upgrade to 9 from beta. Looked on the main out page finally and saw that scene 1 had maxed, reset it and all has been fine.

Thanks for the heads up.
Sometimes i wonder if Cakewalk is remoting in to Sonar
and messing with my settings to get me to upgrade.. Ha

I've been experimenting some more.

This seems to be happening on patches created using previous FW versions, inc 9beta.
If I create a patch from scratch in FW9 it seems OK.
On the affected patches, the main OUT level slider doesn't have any effect across scenes - I have tried setting S1 to maximum gain and S2 to minimum, switching between scenes still has S2 much louder than S1.

Definitely seems like a FW9 bug :?

Hi guys

Just been experimenting with scenes on FW9 and have noticed something weird.
Scene 2 is noticeably louder than the other scenes (1, 3, 4....)
I have checked over everything I can think of.
I set scenes 2 & 3 to be identical - turned everything off except the amp & cab, main output levels & X/Y states are the same - yet for some reason S2 is much louder than S3.

Any ideas? I'm baffled

The same stupid problem here - I realized it yesterday. I think there are a number of Beta-Testers???? Or is this 9.0 the RC??? :-(( very very angry!

This seems to be happening on patches created using previous FW versions, inc 9beta.
On the affected patches, the main OUT level slider doesn't have any effect across scenes - I have tried setting S1 to maximum gain and S2 to minimum, switching between scenes still has S2 much louder than S1.

Please send the affected preset to support.

Also note that if you are switching scenes via MIDI the level will revert to the saved value if you have Revert turned on.

Mr. Chase with the greatest respect for your work:

Sir, I use my Axe II since fw 1.xx and it wasn't only happiness in this time, more a little bit Yin and Yang. But I was happy with the 7.0 until yesterday.

I don't understand this: the 8.0 was - a Beta?, the 8.01 was - the RC? and the 8.01a? - I can't found it in the current release notes ...

And what is the 9.0 ? THE MAIN special feature of the 9.0 (for me) are the scenes - and THIS highlight don't works properly without fail?!? What's the matter? I'm very angry since yesterday - but I said it already before ... And I'll go back to 7.0 for the next time - hope it works.

Mr. Chase with the greatest respect for your work:

Sir, I use my Axe II since fw 1.xx and it wasn't only happiness in this time, more a little bit Yin and Yang. But I was happy with the 7.0 until yesterday.

I don't understand this: the 8.0 was - a Beta?, the 8.01 was - the RC? and the 8.01a? - I can't found it in the current release notes ...

And what is the 9.0 ? THE MAIN special feature of the 9.0 (for me) are the scenes - and THIS highlight don't works properly without fail?!? What's the matter? I'm very angry since yesterday - but I said it already before ... And I'll go back to 7.0 for the next time - hope it works.

9.0 is RC, it's not a beta. Chances are the scenes being louder/quieter are settings within the presets themselves. It could be all kinds of stuff, like X/Y states at different models/settings, the scenes being stored at different volumes or reverting to previous volumes because "revert" is turned on.... that's why he asked for the preset; so support can look through it and check all those settings. It'd be impossible to check everything via forum. Usually, things like this turn out to be user error, not programming error. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I would think something like, "Major volume increases when changing scenes" would come up during the month long public beta testing if it's a coding error.

Surely we are merely highlighting a possible issue that may not have been spotted during beta, in the hope that if it is indeed a bug then it will be addressed. We are not here to express our 'rage' at not getting a perfect bug free release of firmware that was issued free of charge. So stop ranting and let's focus and work together, report all your issues and help get this thing working asap.

With regard to this part of my post:
I've just RTFM and found... Note: Level in the Output mixer only controls the signal to Output 1, not Output 2! :shock

So please disregard that bit!
However... the difference in volume is still there. The only block active is AMP1 (and FX loop as I'm using OUT2). Amp X and Y are set the same.
As I understand Scenes, internal params like Master, Level etc don't change? Just bypass and X/Y?

Please see patch attached - scenes 2 and 3 should be identical but 2 is much louder

Last edited:
With regard to this part of my post:

I've just RTFM and found... Note: Level in the Output mixer only controls the signal to Output 1, not Output 2! :shock

So please disregard that bit!
However... the difference in volume is still there. The only block active is AMP1 (and FX loop as I'm using OUT2). Amp X and Y are set the same.
As I understand Scenes, internal params like Master, Level etc don't change? Just bypass and X/Y?

Please see patch attached - scenes 2 and 3 should be identical but 2 is much louder

Main volume of the patch also changes

It has to do with the effects loop. Remove the effect loop from that patch and the volume change stops.

Back
Top Bottom