Volume Boost with expression pedal

Pete

Inspired
Hiya...

I have a preset which is very basic. Just a heavy rock distortion.. occasionally I go into a dual harmony guitar thing with the other guitarist so I hit my expression pedal which adds delay to the sound. Whats the best way to add a slight volume boost as well that can be added with the delay.. using the expression pedal.
I tried a filter block and adding a modifier to the level setting.. but I'm not sure that was working right.. leaving the level at 0db and setting the start to 50% and then mid and end higher gave me a vol boost but it didn't really seem to be that controlable... not really sure what it was doing.

Insert a Vol/Pan block using the same expression pedal. Adjust the modifier settings to go from 0dB up to the amount of boost you want.

Hmm I must be missing something... cant see anywhere to adjust the db setting in the vol/pan block...

I'm stumped... all I want to do is increase the volume by a couple db when i push the expression pedal up.. global volumes no use as i have the expression pedal linked to other effects like pitch that i dont want a boost on.
In the filter block, If I enter the modifier screen for the level control, is the db increase worked out in percentage? i.e. 50% is 0db and 100% is the 20db increase that would be achieved by turning the level all the way up in the modifier window?

The volume block only goes up to 0 dB (no boost) but you can set up a range like 8-10 then turn up another block's level as needed. Or just control level of another block.

edit: Yes, on the Axe 1 you need to do a little math or trial & error to find the modifier % that corresponds to a certain dB setting.

Last edited:
so I might as well attach the pedal to the modifier of the amp level block and increase by 2db? the only problem i find is that the start/mid/end is a bit guess work as its percentages not db.. how would i use the vol block to set a range of another blocks level?
thanks man.. appreciate the guidance.

I should have been more clear. You put the Vol/Pan block in parallel, so that it adds to the existing signal. Set Start to 0, tweak the End value until you have the amount of boost you want. Set the Mid control halfway between the Start and End values.

By putting the block in parallel, I mean to put it one row above or below the existing routing and connect it up so that you have a shunt in parallel with the Vol/Pan block.

The simplest thing might be this - add a null filter block post-amp, set it's output Db so that you get the desired boost level when you bypass/engage it. Now, go to the filter's bypass parameter and press enter, assign your EXT# controller for your EXP pedal. 0% - 49% = bypassed, 50% - 100% = engaged. By adjusting the curve's start, mid, and end % you can create a custom "autoengage" so that the boost will kick in where you want it. For example, start=45%, mid=55%, end=55% should engage the boost filter pretty quickly past the heel position.

This way, the boost is a consistent level not effected by the sweep of the pedal once you pass the engage point. By adjusting this curve and that of your delay modifier, you could have it so that say heel down is no delay, no boost, rocking forward a bit adds boost, rocking the rest of the way brings in a variable amount of delay. It's more difficult to explain that to do it, once you grasp the concept of using the pedal as on/off bypass and not variable it opens a lot of options. Any block that has a controllable bypass parameter can do this - not all of them do. Or, you might prefer to have the boost kick in at toe down, so you can add delay first then the boost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom