Volume boost options that won't change tone

So the level soft nob seen in most blocks in layout mode is the same nob? whenù twist this nob in one location it will be changed in the other blocks as well?
Reg AJJ

no.. each fx block has it's own output level knob..
this allows you to control the signal level as it leaves one block and enters the next..
there are good reasons why you want this sort of control
- you may want to push the next block hard [by throwing a big fat signal into an amp, drive of delay block]
- you may want to ensure plenty of headroom for a very clean tone and so hold the level back a little for other fx blocks

Q - what is it that you are trying to achieve?

1 - simply making your preset louder [permanently] cos it's a little on the quiet side?
2 - real-time control by hitting a switch for a boost so that you can raise the level when switching from rhythm playing to solo playing?

the solutions for each of the above are a little different

Thanks man

Both actually ...somtimes to adjust volum of presets within a bank
I haven`t got the AXE for a long time and still learning the basics
I normally adjust the preset-volum in the a) amp-block/level and b) level and/or master nobs in the poweramp page. (I useally bypass the poweramp-sim. .. so the master is then a simple level nob)

So the level of if the ..lets say delay block and reverb block when these ar at the end of the chain in that order... will get a slightly different
sound?

ok... two different requirements here...

overall preset level:
how you manage this depends upon your grid layout
if you only have a single block going to your output then you can alter the level of that block or in the output mixer [layout -> end] for that particular grid row

if however you have multiple blocks in parallel you can either change the output levels of them both [which is a pain in the rear] or change the level of the last block that is in series before the signal splits [which is more sensible because you maintain the relative levels in the two parallel signal paths]

real-time control:
if you want a boost you can apply live [so that you can sit 'in the mix' and then occasionally 'step up'] then there are a couple of options..
and note, you do not need to add a new fx block for this..
[the only time you need to at a block for boosting is when you want to boost / shape the signal entering the amp - typically because you want more gain and / or more mids. with this application, using the boost does not really give you more level, it gives you more dirt / gain]

switch to boost -
determine which block you will use to provide the increase in level [generally the one that is last on the portion of the fx chain that is in series].
determine which switch you want to use to toggle between the boosted / unboosted values [this will be either an instant access switch <AI> or an external switch <XS> - you need to decide before we go through the config]
you then assign the output of this block to an external modifier used by that IA / XS and set the min and max values to taste
when you hit your switch, your level will switch immediately to the higher value..
hit the switch again and you drop back to the lower value

pedal to boost -
as before, determine which block you will use to provide the increase in level [generally the one that is last on the portion of the fx chain that is in series].
determine which expression pedal [XP] you want to use to toggle between the boosted / unboosted values [this will be either an AI or an XS - you need to decide before we go through the config]
you then assign the output of this block to the external modifier used for the XP and set the min and max values to taste
when you wiggle your pedal to the toe down [possition, your level will gradually move to the higher value..
move the XP to the heel down possition and you drop back to the lower value

it all sounds a bit fussy, but none of this is difficult to set up - there's plenty in here that can walk you through the steps

Q - do you have an MFC or something else?
Q - do you want to boost via a switch or a pedal?
Q - do you have a switch or pedal that can be assigned to this control?

"I`d like to have a volumboost nob on my GCP as well. "
GCP - is that a Ground Control floor controller? does this mean you have additional expression pedal/s and would like to assign it to boost the level?

Thanks man
Overall volum of a preset - the output mixer [layout -> end] for that particular grid row... I havent seen this one.. I`ll check when I get home. "End" Output mixer? Is this a block witch I can add or is it integreated in all presets Out?
Ive seen/tweeked eq bloks and Global eq and level (for all bloks) but not this one - I think.

Its a ground control pro. It has 8 instant buttons .. so one of them can be used for volum-boost.

the output mixer is not a block, it's there by default
just like any other mixer you have a level and a balance control for each of the four grid rows
this obviously enables level and pan control on a per row basis
there is also a fader marked 'main' for control over the level of the entire preset

to find it via:
- the front panel: 'layout', page right to the 'end' tab
- Axe Edit: click where it says 'out' at the far right hand side of the grid

yes you can assign one of the instant access buttons

let's assume that you wanted to reserve the first 4 external controllers for expression pedals that you may add in the future..
Axe front panel: I/O - CTRL
note that the external controllers [EXT CTRL 1 and onwards] have a number assigned to them
this is the MIDI CC assignment
EXT CTRL 1 = 16
EXT CTRL 2 = 17
and so on
we're reserving the first four for future expression pedal use so we're starting with EXT CTRL 5 [CC = 20]

you assign your GCP IA switch to CC=20 [it says how to do this in the manual]
when you've done this, it means that when you hit that switch, it'll send MIDI signals to the Axe via CC 20
that's all you need to do in the GCP I think

in your preset, you go to the last fx block that is in series [the cab block for example]
Axe front panel:
- layout - edit page
- highlight the cab block and click 'edit'
- page right to the 'mix' tab
- highlight the 'level' knob
- click enter and you'll see the modifier screen open
- the top parm = 'source' and it will be defaulted to 'none'
- using the 'value' dial on the front panel, set this to 'extern 5' [this parm is now under the control of your GCP IA switch]
- set the min value [which is whatever you had it originally set to, for example 0dB]
- set the max value to give you a boost [for example 6.0dB - you'll have to mess with this until you find the right amount of boost]

save the preset... job is done....
hmm... is it though....
what if you wanted a little more reverb when you was boosted cos you're soloing [so a little more ambience could get things going]???
easy...
- click layout and highlight the reverb block
- click edit and then you could either increase the reverb by assigning the 'input gain' or 'level' if the reverb is in parallel, or if you are in series, go you the 'mix' page and highlight the 'mix' knob.. which ever you choose.. you then click enter to go to the modifier, set source = extern 5, set your min and max values...

now when you hit your GCP IA you get a volume boost and a little more reverb going on....

getting the picture???? now you can think... "maybe there is a little more tone shaping I can do when I hit this switch"
cos you ain't limited to just turning things off / on and making things soft or loud.....

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
I was having a similar problem, since acoustics have so much low frequency, creating a good balance that I could send out without clipping or overdriving the signal and still having enough volume to the source was creating a problem. I found this site helpful, especially given the ability to apply filters in the axe. Maybe adjusting the original signal path may help?

How to EQ Acoustic Guitar

thing is with acoustics, especially mic'd, is that mic placement is a very big deal
also, it makes a difference as to the acoustic's body type..
cos dread's chuck out a ton of low end
if you point the mic at the 14th fret from about 12" to 18" away, you should get a pretty nice balanced tone..
not being in line with the sound hole mitigates all that low end [can get real wooly]
not being too close makes the performance sound more dynamically even [and less 'lumpy']

Back
Top Bottom