Vintaged Delay EQ settings : DM-2, Bisonette, Memory Man, Space Echo, Tel Ray

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
Hi.

A while back I posted IRs I took from probably THE best software emulation of classic echos (Soundtoys Echoboy). Judging by the success of that thread (it sank like a stone) no one is willing to sacrifice one or more of the precious User IR slots for a mere echo sound. I know I wouldn't ;)

Attached you'll find PEQ settings based on the very same plugin. Some of them are just variations on the lo-cut, hi-cut theme while others also feature a (sometimes drastic) mid range boost.
If the lo-cut/hi-cut settings sound to tame, insert two of them in series.

This of course means, that you'll have to set up the delay in a parallel, 100% wet way and use the level control to mix in the desired amount of echo.

Since this is eq only, it doesn't reproduce the signal degradation a tape, bucket brigade or oilcan delay can introduce. Use the delay blocks drive control or a tape dist drive block to approximate the effect.

These settings go into the 'Effects' folder of the 'Fractal Audio' folder, as specified in your AxeEdit -> Settings -> Application Settings -> Workspace

have fun.

p.s.
more settings on page 2

Attachments

• EB Bisonette.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 161
  • EB DM-2.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 148
  • EB Memory Man.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 179
  • EB Space Echo.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 146
  • EB Tel Ray.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 134
Last edited:
This is a really cool idea. I think that some of my favorite delays pedals were so special to me because of how they eq'd the repeats. I look forward to checking this out. I've messed with it some on my own using the send and return blocks, but I didn't hit on anything special. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those pedals around anymore to A/B with, and I don't really remember their EQ signature well enough to recreate them. Thanks for doing this! Now I wish I had my Axe-fx with me.

D

the only problem i can see with doing it like this, is that the delay repeats don't get fed back through tone adjustment provided by the EQ. i suppose you could use the send and return blocks to feed the output of the EQ back into the delay block, though. couldn't you?

sim

the only problem i can see with doing it like this, is that the delay repeats don't get fed back through tone adjustment provided by the EQ. i suppose you could use the send and return blocks to feed the output of the EQ back into the delay block, though. couldn't you?

sim

Using the send and return blocks, the eq can affect both the dry signal and the repeats combined or individually. There is a wiki page showing the layouts to make these things happen but I can't remember where it's at. I've tried it affecting both, affecting just the repeats, and affecting the repeats continually. Each method works well for different reasons depending on what you're looking for.

D

sim

yup

here you go. i thought the DM delay was the most useable....

the volume block controls the delay level, because the delay output level has a big impact on the number and quality of the repeats. i have it set up to almost just oscillate. sounds nice and very crusty!

whoops - just realised i have it set to global amp 1. please change to your favourite clean amp of choice!

Last edited:
some more stuff:

Guitar Rig 4 Memory Man and Tape Echo
Dubstation 2 presets
King Tubby (from an IR)
Princeton amp (from an IR)
Lexicon Room Ambience eq

Attachments

• GR4 MM.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 103
  • GR4 Tape Echo.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 92
  • DS Automagic Dub.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 91
  • DS Dub II.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 86
  • IR King Tubby.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 83
  • SP Princeton 1.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 85
  • Lexicon RoomAmbience.syx
    663 bytes · Views: 97
I reworked the DM-2 setting using a different (more time-consuming, but also more accurate) approach.
For some reason, I can't save the settings file. Or even weirder: I can save it and recall it from AxeEdit, but I can't find the file on my HD (yuck, thanks Line6 form ruining a perfectly good abbreviation).
Tried setting the workspace to new, different locations and all that - no luck.

So here a patch using the 'DM-2 II' PEQ setting in a parallel setup.
Cab is User 1, substitute with whatever you think is appropiate for a Vibroverb.

p.s.
added a fx-heavy version of the same sound (Ultra only)
softer amp sound, Chrystals feeds into the DM-2, micro-pitchshifting adds 'glow', more spring reverb and part of the echo signal feeds back into the reverb.

Attachments

• VibroVerb DM-2 II.syx
    2 KB · Views: 101
  • VibroDM-2IIChrystals.syx
    2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
it would be great if cliff could add these eq profiles into the delay block itself, so you could choose them from a dropdown

it would be great if cliff could add these eq profiles into the delay block itself, so you could choose them from a dropdown

I had a similar thought, but then it should be IRs taken from the actual units, not an approximation (PEQ) of an approximation (plug in). ;)

Last edited:
I reworked the DM-2 setting using a different (more time-consuming, but also more accurate) approach.
For some reason, I can't save the settings file. Or even weirder: I can save it and recall it from AxeEdit, but I can't find the file on my HD (yuck, thanks Line6 form ruining a perfectly good abbreviation).
Tried setting the workspace to new, different locations and all that - no luck.

So here a patch using the 'DM-2 II' PEQ setting in a parallel setup.
Cab is User 1, substitute with whatever you think is appropiate for a Vibroverb.

p.s.
added a fx-heavy version of the same sound (Ultra only)
softer amp sound, Chrystals feeds into the DM-2, micro-pitchshifting adds 'glow', more spring reverb and part of the echo signal feeds back into the reverb.

just a note on your first patch don. if you have phase reverse set to "on", then the delay repeats cancel out as they feed back onto each other.

i just made a nice one with two delay units in parallel, each with slightly different mod rates. very wide! :)

i also prefer the modulation within the delay blocks themselves to the chorus block placed after. i think it sounds a little more creamy, imo

sim

Back
Top Bottom