VIDEO: Easy Tone Sculpting and what to listen for

Danny Danzi

Power User
Hey guys,

Not sure this video will help you guys with anything, but I'm going a little deeper on our amp/cab discussion/video. I just wanted to show you a few guitar tones and how to deal with them really easy. This video doesn't put us in Axe Edit, (though it deals with a few Axe Fx tones) this is more of a "learn how to listen" video with a few little things to help feed your head as well. You can use this stuff for recording situations or even live if you hear this stuff in your cabs.

Also, my apologies for talking for nearly 5 minutes before this video actually does something. I actually shot the first part where you could see me talking, but wasn't crazy about how it turned out so I bagged it and you're stuck looking at my screen. Maybe I'll make a cameo next time. LOL!

Anyway, wasn't sure where to put this one, but here it is if it will help any with sound identification. Enjoy!

-Danny

Really good stuff.
Your videos (all of'em) are friendly and easy to watch.
It's a must-watch to every tweaker and geek-related guitar freak. Even if you know most of the stuff that is exposed in the videos or you're not going to use the tip and tricks.

Keep it up!
You made great stuff for the sake of share, not to trying to get donations or up your own ego.

Awesome work.

Great video! I also use SONAR Platinum, so this video was really easy to follow and understand.

Also, for anyone watching this video, make sure to listen to it thru real speakers and not from a phone, tablet or laptop or else you won't be able to hear some parts of the video where the low end is being adjusted.

@chucma Nah, it's all easy stuff once you know what to listen for. Honest when I tell you. :)

@Fl7x thanks I really appreciate that. Glad they are easy to understand. Yeah some of it is basic and what most people know already, but then there are quite a few that don't know this stuff due to being hobbyists.....which are just as important as the more pro guys. We all want good tone...some of this stuff can definitely help us get there. :)

@GotMetalBoy thanks for sharing the speaker thing. Yeah they ain't gonna hear the right stuff through a lappy or phone. Lol! I meant to say that and forgot, so thanks for having my back.

Thanks Danny! I was stunned at the improvement in sound when you added the slight dip in the lower mid-range. The EQ change seem so small, but it made a huge difference...

Thanks Danny! I was stunned at the improvement in sound when you added the slight dip in the lower mid-range. The EQ change seem so small, but it made a huge difference...

You're welcome brother James! I know that stuff is easy, basic stuff, but man, it can be so powerful too. At the end of the day, I think what I've mentioned is true. The better the sound before we start messing with anything, the better the sound ends up.

I don't think any of those tones I presented were terrible other than maybe that acoustic sim, (which wasn't bad as long as I didn't pick too hard) but they wound up turning into acceptable tones in my opinion.

Considering there were no bells and whistles at all other than the sounds in those preamps and basic eq, that to me is what tweaking tones should be about.

These days if I mess with a tone for over 30 minutes and I'm not happy, I get rid of it. I actually know in 5 minutes or less whether it is usable or not, but like to experiment a bit just in case I CAN come up with something totally cool out of something not so cool.

For example, that tweed cab block I messed with...it took me about 10-15 minutes to dial that in to where I liked it. But I knew in under 5 minutes that I'd make that sucker work lol! :)

Great video Danny. I don't record, but I think the concepts there will help me dial in patches using axe edit/front panel.

I run through a power amp and a pair of 2x12 cabs. I just added the second can a few days ago. Right now the cabs are stacked and I sit in front of them while playing. It's amazing how much difference there is in tone between the two cabs with one firing at my shins and the other firing about shoulder height. Since that's the only way I play right now, that's fine but it's good to be aware that this setup may not sound so good in different circumstances.

Great stuff! Thanks!

Hey guys,

Not sure this video will help you guys with anything, but I'm going a little deeper on our amp/cab discussion/video. I just wanted to show you a few guitar tones and how to deal with them really easy. This video doesn't put us in Axe Edit, (though it deals with a few Axe Fx tones) this is more of a "learn how to listen" video with a few little things to help feed your head as well. You can use this stuff for recording situations or even live if you hear this stuff in your cabs.

Also, my apologies for talking for nearly 5 minutes before this video actually does something. I actually shot the first part where you could see me talking, but wasn't crazy about how it turned out so I bagged it and you're stuck looking at my screen. Maybe I'll make a cameo next time. LOL!

Anyway, wasn't sure where to put this one, but here it is if it will help any with sound identification. Enjoy!

-Danny

Do have a video. Showing how to do this axe edit

Back
Top Bottom