VHT 2-50-2 vs ART SLA-2

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
OK, I think this was discussed before but let's do it one more time, with feeling.. would a 2-50-2 be THAT much better in terms of tone? Just for metalheads or for everyone? :D

I'm quite happy with my SLA-2, but this is killin me.. there's a dude selling a mint, barely used 2-50-2 "bought new in Jan 09" in my hometown (only a few miles away no less) at an ASK price of $850 Canadian (that's $691 USD at today's exch rate).

Should I go buy it? I should at least bring my Axe over and crank it up.... I've just bought SO much gear lately I shouldn't tempt myself. If I go try it out I'll be doomed to take it home :D

BUY THE VHT!!!!

If you don't think it's better than the ART, you can turn around and sell it for a few hundred bucks profit! ;)

That's a steal!

Hey that was your 100th post!!! and this is my 200th!!! Crazy how much time I spend on the web, this forum, ect between playing and life. Anyway! Once More with feeling.
once_more_with_feeling-placebo_480.jpg

I say buy it, its a really popular amp here and surely someone will take it off your hands at cost + if you don't like it. If you've got the time to put your money into a metal and glass asset for a bit do it. Use both mirrored outputs to A/B it see which you like better. You know you want to!

Hey Robboman

If you do buy it, be sure to let us know how the comparison turns out. I have a SLA-2 which I am very happy with - but you gotta wonder what a quality tube power amp would bring to the table.

I have an SLA-1 and had a VHT 2:50:2. I sold the 2:50:2 AND my 50ST head 3 weeks after getting the Art because there was NO difference between them - and I LOVE my VHT stuff !!!!!

Although I was sceptical - I have to say that anyone using a valve power amp is doing so because they just CANT get away from having to have valves - not because of the tone it gives (with the Axe that is). Its sub consiouse Im sure - its ingrained into guitarists !!! IMHO it is just in your head.

I have now spent about 30 total days A/Bing the SLA-2 with the VHT 2/50/2 and I can summarize:

The VHT is better, but just barely - and I can promise that any non-musician could NEVER tell the difference. I also haven't found anyone who can tell the difference in a live mix.

If you have the cash, can spare the rack space and tolerate the addition 20lbs. of weight to your rig - get the VHT - you won't be disappointed.

I, however, love my new super-portable, 4-space, swallow-depth rig and I am not giving up the ART-SLA2. The total weight of everything, except the cab, is only about 48lbs. (I am also keeping the VHT :mrgreen: )

Just my opinion.

X3 on the ART and VHT comparison. I say buy your self another SLA as a back up and put the extra 500 in your pocket... or not. If you get the VHT make sure you buy your self some spare tubes just in case :mrgreen:

+4 .. i a/b MY VHT 2/90/2 with Carvin DCM600 and after v7.04 difference was really negligible with the added bonus for carvin to be more transparent and therefore amps from AxeFX having more character because they weren't stuck with same KT88 VHT 2/90/2 poweramp...

Mik.

Ventanaman said:
I have now spent about 30 total days A/Bing the SLA-2 with the VHT 2/50/2 and I can summarize:

The VHT is better, but just barely - and I can promise that any non-musician could NEVER tell the difference. I also haven't found anyone who can tell the difference in a live mix.

If you have the cash, can spare the rack space and tolerate the addition 20lbs. of weight to your rig - get the VHT - you won't be disappointed.

I, however, love my new super-portable, 4-space, swallow-depth rig and I am not giving up the ART-SLA2. The total weight of everything, except the cab, is only about 48lbs. (I am also keeping the VHT :mrgreen: )

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the responses guys. I always get weak when I spot a local bargain.. but I'm sticking with my SLA-2.

I went from a Carvin DCM1000 to a 2/50/2.

I gotta say it's less consistent than the Carvin, but when it sounds good, the experience is phenomenal! I really dig the VHT's response, also the fact that you have presence/resonance at your fingertips and can experiment with different tones/tubes/flavours in the 2 channels make it a winner for me.

Though it is a step back in terms of reliability and consistency as tubes always add some risk and "daily form" factor.

Ventanaman said:

'Scuz the hijack - but what was better about the VHT (albeit barely)? I'm struggling with this also. I've got an Alesis RA300, always looking to improve my setup and have been thinking about a tube power amp.

stage valve will define not let you use the sim stage.

The nature of a broad, step over cab

previously used a boogie90/90, now a DCM 1000,,,

result, the same with more options

This is very interesting this post as I was just thinking of trying out an SLA1 as a smaller version of my Mesa 2:90 but if it can replace it with virtually no tonal difference, that is very very tempting!! If I'm going to try an SLA amp, I'm best to go for the SLA2 over the SLA1? My main speakers are a Mesa Recto quad. My smaller rig is 2 1x12 Orange cabs.

mmmm :geek:

I just wondering how the heck a solid state power amp (SLA-2) can sound better than a tube power amp VHT 2-50-2?

mortega76 said:
I just wondering how the heck a solid state power amp (SLA-2) can sound better than a tube power amp VHT 2-50-2?

It doesnt! :D
FRFR**? the SLA-2 and Carvin are a good way to go as far as power amps. I prefer Yorkville (supplied by venue) and my QSC (when I have to lug em)
I played all last year with a mesa stereo 2:100 into a genz benz. Output 2 pinched off to FOH. <--Cab amp sims FOH powered by QSC and JBL.

Apples and Oranges here. Not to mention taste! With all the possible combinations here you should only compare within the set ups. ie. FRFR, AMP CAB, 4CM - FOH etc.

btw I think the Atomic FRFR set is gonna blow all of this to crap anyways...so there :p

fredster said:
Ventanaman said:

'Scuz the hijack - but what was better about the VHT (albeit barely)? I'm struggling with this also. I've got an Alesis RA300, always looking to improve my setup and have been thinking about a tube power amp.

It was very difficult for me to quantify, but the VHT was "deeper" than using the ART-2 w/sims.

For me, I was looking for the smallest rig with the least compromise in sound - that is why I like the ART (I still have the 2/50/2 BTW).

I will still stick to the comment that there is NO WAY your average audience member could tell any difference during a live performance.

rdomain said:
This is very interesting this post as I was just thinking of trying out an SLA1 as a smaller version of my Mesa 2:90 but if it can replace it with virtually no tonal difference, that is very very tempting!! If I'm going to try an SLA amp, I'm best to go for the SLA2 over the SLA1? My main speakers are a Mesa Recto quad. My smaller rig is 2 1x12 Orange cabs.

mmmm :geek:

In a single space platform (which is really the point for this unit) for the extra $$$ the ART SLA-2 is the best bang for the buck IMHO. I have had mine for about a year and I'm still liking it. Ether cab you have will work with it, on the 112's just don't turn up the Axe to far or you WILL hurt them.

Ok cool. Thanks for the advice. I might keep an eye out for one to buy and try. I can always put it in a 'touring' rig for portability. Can it replace the Mesa 2:90 for overall tonal quality..... I'd be dubious but from a cash vs tonal difference, I'm guessing the SLA2 would probably win.

rdomain said:
Ok cool. Thanks for the advice. I might keep an eye out for one to buy and try. I can always put it in a 'touring' rig for portability. Can it replace the Mesa 2:90 for overall tonal quality..... I'd be dubious but from a cash vs tonal difference, I'm guessing the SLA2 would probably win.

I have owned that power amp though I have not run the Axe. I would have to say that most wouldn't here the difference. It's a very nice amp no doubt but pound for pound for the Axe I would run the ART, less back and head ache :D . I bought mine through zzounds and I belive they have a 30-Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on it. They also sell blems so you can save some $$.

Back
Top Bottom