Verve 12's, etc for BASS guitar, or full range bass cab...

steveb

Inspired
So, my goal is "one rig to rule them all". Basically, I'm trying to setup one rig with AxeFx and eventually a guitar synth ( probably Axon) that can handle anything from Bass frequencies through guitar frequencies, keyboard, drum sounds, vocals, etc etc.

While 12" powered speakers always seem to be fine for guitar and vocals, they seem to be lacking whenever I've tried them with Bass guitar unless a sub is added to the system. Most of my experience has been just using my Mackie SRM450's and listening to the bass coming through venue floor monitors. Has anyone tried a 5 string bass through the Verve 12ma's or the QSC's to see how well the low strings are handled?

I'm seriously considering trying an Accugroove TR112L bass cab. Its a bass cab that looks to have good low range, but is also raved over by keyboard players for their full range, balanced sound. The accugroove is a 3 way cab with soft dome tweeters instead of a horn. A Verve would provide more overall utility though. Keyboard players are also fans of the EV Sxa360 BTW, as a PA type speaker with a smooth midrange and non-harsh highs. The General consensus seems to be that the Accugrooves are flatter and more accurate, while the EV's are louder and can of course be used in monitor position so are more versatile. Some of them are even using the Carvin 3 way PA speakers, but those are bigger and heavier, albeit alot cheaper, than the Accugroove TRI112L.

339492.jpg

Ouch, those are 'spensive, they do look nice though. If cost is a concern, I know that Acme bass cabs also employ a 3-way design, but use higher-excursion (less sensitive) 10" drivers which will actually hit 31Hz at -6dB. See http://www.acmebass.com/ for more details.

yeah, the Accugrooves are not cheap, but the TRI112L has a size and weight advantage over the ACME, unless you go for the really small ACME. s

I am having great luck with the Bergantino NV412 for bass and guitar applications - since it is tweeterless, I don't think it would work well for vocals and keys, but it may allow you to kill at least two birds with one stone, without any real tonal compromise.

JGR said:
I am having great luck with the Bergantino NV412 for bass and guitar applications - since it is tweeterless, I don't think it would work well for vocals and keys, but it may allow you to kill at least two birds with one stone, without any real tonal compromise.

never even heard of those.... awesome looking cab but not exactly small and lightweight!

Hey Steve. That's a tough one. It's hard to have the thunder/thud/thump of specialized bass cabs or subs and still have the midrange you get with speakers/cabs that sound good with guitar/vocals. The 12ma is the most swiss-army-knife of anything I know at an affordable price point.

The birch plywood cab design of the verve stuff will handle lows about as good as any affordable full range cab AND still give the midrange clarity and smooth highs. The wood is far superior to plastic for delivering big, tight low end.

They do make a 15ma and a dual 15" full range enclosure, but I'd try the 12 first and EQ it to have the thump you want. You won't have a problem selling it, and I'd have a hard time thinking you need more thump than what it can deliver. If you did though, I'd explore a bi-amp PA system to give you separation/control over the low end.

Back
Top Bottom