Verve 12MA issue

Made the call and the 12MA is in the mail. Should arrive in a day or two. I think it will perform well. Hope it sounds good :)

I'm sure you will be happy.
If you're not....you can sell it in about 30 seconds if you posts in the Forum's For Sale section.

Issue solved. Nothing wrong with the cab. Cables swapped and voila: wonderful grind, bottom, top, cleans, mids, broken glass, everything is right.

Last edited:
In my verve 12 ma the issue comes and goes... watch out for that. some times it gets so bad it looks like the speaker is ripped

In my experience the 12ma is very "sensitive" regarding specific high frequency areas.
This becomes apparent when switching between different types of cabs/IRs.

For example, you've dialed in a preset using a dark sounding stock or external cab. So the amp settings are quite bright to compensate.
Now when you switch to a bright IR instead, the signal through the Verve may get very thin and brittle, like the top end is clipping.
Resetting the amp's tone controls will take care of this. Unless the 12ma is really broken like it was in my case.

I think that it is really broken, sometimes happens on certain notes a really nasty distortion, sometimes it happens with whatever sound is coming through it (guitar, instrumentals, voice) for a couple of seconds, like the speaker is ripped

I can see your point. In fact, I tried multiple cables, different slots, direct to board, altering freqs on my patches, ensured no cell phone in the area, no fluorescent lighting, etc. Then, for kicks, I yanked ALL of my high-falootin' Vovox cables -- all tested in good repair --on a whim and swapped with my NOS ;-) xlr cables. Problem disappeared. My guess is that the high freqs that were coming through the fancy Vovox cables created a sensitivity issue with how the Verve projected the sound. Back to my old tired xlr cables, with none of the above problems.

I can see your point. In fact, I tried multiple cables, different slots, direct to board, altering freqs on my patches, ensured no cell phone in the area, no fluorescent lighting, etc. Then, for kicks, I yanked ALL of my high-falootin' Vovox cables -- all tested in good repair --on a whim and swapped with my NOS ;-) xlr cables. Problem disappeared. My guess is that the high freqs that were coming through the fancy Vovox cables created a sensitivity issue with how the Verve projected the sound. Back to my old tired xlr cables, with none of the above problems.

Had that happen once too, "faulty" XLR cable between Axe and monitor.

I have tried two different cables with it, doesn't seem like a cable would cause the kind of distortion I am hearing.

Unfortunately I have a bad feeling of the store I ordered it, sent an email 6 days ago with no response. Sent an email to FBT now.. let's see how it goes

I just put in a call to FBT USA because the problem seems to be getting worse. This sucks ass. I now have to go back to dragging around a 95 lb rack case with my Creast CA 6 until the problem with the FBT is resolved.

It's really bizaare because 99.9% of the time, the 12MA sounds amazing; but when I palm mute on a high gain setting, it sounds like I'm hitting the guitar with a hammer. There is also a low fuzz tone when I play any notes on the B and high e strings...other than that, it sounds great.

Twenty minutes after I left my message, the shop guy from FBT USA called me back. Very friendly and accomodating. As a matter of fact, Dennis said he would drive over to the shop in Berlin, CT and meet up with me on a weekend so I could save on shipping.

Regardless of how this turns out, FBT is a class act with a great product.

Back
Top Bottom