Variations In Amp Sim Levels

axel

Power User
One thing I've noticed when creating a basic preset Amp>Cab>Reverb, is that when cycling through the amp sims, the volume is very inconsistent. When listening through headphones at a moderate level, this can be startling, and almost painful when you go from a sim which is a low level to one that is quite high. Was hoping someone from Fractal could chime in and explain why the amp sims, in their "default" states do not have somewhat equal volume levels. It would be nice to cycle through the sims without the extreme volume fluctuations. Thanks.

Hey I noticed the same thing... I must be to do with the presets and amp sims being older than the firmware updates etc (except for new ones included in firmware).. I say this because I've noticed how the manual says that to get the best from Modern Higain amp sims you really need to bring the MASTER Vol down.. yet in the majority of the presets when in a factory state the masters are WAY up high and sound sh*te..... regardless of amp sim..

No, you don't understand.

If a preset has, say, a Deluxe Reverb the Master will be set high. If you simply change the model to, say, a Rectifier then it will get loud. You need to lower the Master when switching to high-gain amps and vice-versa.

Please read and study the manual to fully understand the various parameters and their functions.

Because the gain can vary dramatically.
Thanks Cliff. Understood, but couldn't the default values for master, gain and level be set to yield consistent "default" output levels, and then let the user tweak from there. This would make cycling through the amp sims and listening for the differences in amp sim characters possible, without the extreme volume jumps/drops. To clarify, I'm referring to amp sim levels, within a given preset, not preset levels. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding why this couldn't be done.

Last edited:
It could be done but then people would complain that their Master parameter wasn't constantly being reset whenever they chose a new model. Whenever you switch to a new model be sure to stop playing.

It could be done but then people would complain that their Master parameter wasn't constantly being reset whenever they chose a new model. Whenever you switch to a new model be sure to stop playing.
Roger that. I will definitely stop playing when switching amp sims, almost blew an eardrum last night.

A solution to that would be not changing the master volume, but the amp level parameter instead to ensure unity gain. In fact, I am wondering why that parameter is actually there? Why not calculate the level automatically depending on the drive and master settings to always produce unity gain? That would solve a lot of problems that people are having with gain staging IMO.

No, you don't understand.

If a preset has, say, a Deluxe Reverb the Master will be set high. If you simply change the model to, say, a Rectifier then it will get loud. You need to lower the Master when switching to high-gain amps and vice-versa.

Please read and study the manual to fully understand the various parameters and their functions.

With all due respect to original poster- of course there are variations in volume levels as you are switching from different amp sims as the master and drive settings do not then also switch.
I am no expert by any means, but each amp has a unique interaction between master and drive-just like in real life.
I ran into this myself going from a Fender to an ODS I think. The ODS gave off a weird high pitch noise with the Fender Master setting all the way up. :)

Last edited:
A solution to that would be not changing the master volume, but the amp level parameter instead to ensure unity gain. In fact, I am wondering why that parameter is actually there? Why not calculate the level automatically depending on the drive and master settings to always produce unity gain? That would solve a lot of problems that people are having with gain staging IMO.

That's basically what I was asking, why the level couldn't be tweaked in the firmware, regardless of the drive and master settings for a given sim, to make all amp sims the same volume when cycling through the sims. I do the same thing when cycling through the sims, when I hit one that is extremely loud, I decrease the level parameter and visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom