V7 vs. V8x Phase Inverter - what do you hear?

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I'm very interested to hear what you think/hear about the differences in V7.xx versus the 8.xx modeling of the phase inverter (Global). Myself, I hear a slightly lower volume, a little less gain, and possibly a little less high end (not sure on this last one). I am one of the folks that has set it to the V7.xx mode. It just feels more liquid to me.

That said, is there a magic parameter(s) tweak that could bring the V8.xx mode closer to the V7.xx mode. I have tried boosting the gain, level, and high end just a tad, but I'm not there yet. Are there advanced parameters that should be mucked with?

I know that all of us have unique tastes, so let 'er rip! I'd love to see the responses.

Well !
From what I´ve read the main differens is in the phaseinverter simulation.
If the distortion gets lower it is probably caused by a different phaseinverter-sim-distortion . Why not raise the master a bit to drive the phase-inverter a bit extra ?

Also if you lover the damping it could maybe have similar effect.

You can´t get killed just by trying :)

Folks -

I'm very interested to hear what you think/hear about the differences in V7.xx versus the 8.xx modeling of the phase inverter (Global). Myself, I hear a slightly lower volume, a little less gain, and possibly a little less high end (not sure on this last one). I am one of the folks that has set it to the V7.xx mode. It just feels more liquid to me.

That said, is there a magic parameter(s) tweak that could bring the V8.xx mode closer to the V7.xx mode. I have tried boosting the gain, level, and high end just a tad, but I'm not there yet. Are there advanced parameters that should be mucked with?

I know that all of us have unique tastes, so let 'er rip! I'd love to see the responses.

V7.0 gives a little, is warmer and slightly easier to play on the clean to mild overdrive tones. V8 is more open and alive, but fights you a little on the mild overdrive tones.

I find the oposite to BK ????

Played for a couple of hours flipping between the two.

I find 7 to have a harder attack, with something extra in the high mids (the two may well be linked). 8 seemes softer, and is more hollow sounding. It is harder to get the attack when digging in (to clean/slightly driven) tones.

I notched some of the mids back into my presets in FW 8 though and tonally/attack wise they very close - but there still seems to be a little more bounce in 8.

On V8 most of my presets feel like I have to dig in a little harder. It makes me want to hit the strings harder. But not on all amp types. The Bogner Red is one that is opposite. But honestly, the difference is quite small, so I left it on V8. I did notice very subtle tone changes too, but not enough to say one is much better than the other, though I think I would choose V8 if I had only one option. It's pretty cool, really. If you want a Plexi tone, for example, that more mimics someone like Lincoln Brewster, use V7 to get the tighter attack. If you want a looser feel, use V8. It's good to have choices!

Back
Top Bottom