V10.02 hangs?

Question for the Fractal team... Has anyone at Fractal been able to reproduce these crashes, and therefore hopefully more able to pinpoint root cause? If not, is there anything else we can do to provide more useful info?

Just a thought... I think I live close to Adam Cook (assuming the location in his profile is current), so I could easily give him my AxeFx for several days if it might help them isolate the problem.

A question to all who have encountered this...was a multi-tap delay being used?
If we can isolated the cause, then we can avoid the hang until it is resolved.

A question to all who have encountered this...was a multi-tap delay being used?
If we can isolated the cause, then we can avoid the hang until it is resolved.
I've had the freeze happen on a variety of factory presets, which I believe do include a multidelay block in the grid. However, I almost always have that block bypassed.

I've had the freeze happen on a variety of factory presets, which I believe do include a multidelay block in the grid. However, I almost always have that block bypassed.

Thanks.
Another question to all who have encountered this...were you using a pre-existing preset?
Or was it among the new 10.2 presets?

AlexL, I first encountered a crash using the Shiver Lead preset. Subsequently it crashed using at least one other preset, but unfortunately I do not recall which one(s). I was experimenting with the multi-tap delay shortly before one crash, but can't say for certain if it was on at the time of any of the 'event'.

It seems like lots of freezing is occurring on factory presets? Anyone experience freezing with their own presets built from scratch?

Axe II froze yesterday 2013-05-04. Was probably more than 30 min. maybe an hour in the session. Had to power cycle.

On the factory preset 30 Wrecker I were using the front panel to adjust the Rotary rate with an envelope.

Win 7 64.
USB connected as usual.
10.02, v10-all presets, system-clean file all uploaded with fractal bot 1.1.
Have Axe-Edit 1.9 on the system but not used it more than once with 10.0 and never with 10.01 or 10.02.
Using Fractal bot and midi-ox until stable AE is announced.

Axe has froze like this before maybe 3-4 times all and all. On different firmwares.

I regret having to add to this thread, but yesterday I came back to my desk to find my Axe-Fx II locked up. Screen blank, bottom two input LEDs lit up steady on both inputs even though nothing is plugged into the second input. It came right back after a power cycle.

- Axe-FX 10.02
- MFC 2.16 (connected via ethernet, two expression pedals)
- Axe connected via USB to Windows 7 x64 computer
- Fractal Bot 1.1 installed but not running at the time
- Axe-Edit not installed
- Preset "BE Ld + raygun + ringmod" from Fremen's wonderful preset pack

I'm seeing this freeze too - and it seems to be not triggered by any specific 'user' action .... it just happens after a period of time ... my next test is to see if USB being left connected is the problem (even though no program is using the USB connection to the Axe at the time).

What I did earlier today was.....

(Nothing plugged into the Axe - just USB cable - No instrument connected - No midi - No MFC (don't have one) etc)

1. Connected USB from Axe to PC ( basic little i3 laptop - worked fine for v6 - v9 previously using Midi Ox / Axe-edit etc)

2. Started Axe

3. Launched Bot 1.1 and selected Axe as device - re-uploaded the 10.02 firmware again to the Axe

4. Restarted Axe as prompted at end of FW install

5. I then did a system reset on the Axe - and left the screen at the System Reset page while I went looking for the v10 factory presets to upload next

6. Just as I found the 'all banks' file by browsing to it via Bot 1.1 on my HD and was preparing to hit the Send I glanced at the Axe and it's screen was blank.

7. Power cycled the Axe - it booted normally - so for good measure I closed Bot 1.1 down and re-opened it and then sent the v10 factory presets to the Axe - all went smoothly. Bassman on preset 000 showed up as expected.

8. I reset system on the Axe again and went back to preset 000 and left it there. USB was still connected and Bot 1.1 was open.

9. I did not connect any instrument - just waited. Came back to check in 30 mins or so and Axe had crashed again.

10. Re-booted Axe - reset system - left USB connected - this time I closed down Bot 1.1 on PC.

11. Went for a walk - came back after 40 mins - Axe has blank screen - crashed again (as I write this).

My next experiment is to remove the USB and reboot the Axe and leave it for an hour to see what happens ....

Will post back result ...

I've had 3 freezes yesterday evening too. Never had a hang before since October last year. I just noticed this post so I'm replying to detail my situation:

- Axe Fx II mk2 - FW 10.02;
- MFC FW 2.16;
- Custom preset, originated in v9 - changed with v10.02
- USB attached to Windows x64 DAW
- No Axe Edit or other fractal software running
- Preset uses the Euro blue and Messiah cab uploaded with Midi-ox

What was peculiar is that I was recording into Cubase 7.03 using Spdif - Axe into FF400 using Fireface drive in Cubase.
All the hangs occurred after recording fragments. When closing Cubase 7 I didn't get any hangs anymore.
Might be related to USB - audio driver conflicts?

No Multidelay BTW

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hard to tell. I've only had crashes when USB is connected, but I usually do have it connected. Then again, I've not had a crash in a couple days now even with it connected.
Damn...just crashed again with USB connected. I was on the HBE preset, somewhat modified. I do use the tuner a lot, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Following on from previous post ....

Axe now been operating normally with NO USB cable attatched to PC for over 1 hour ..... previously it was crashing with USB connected after 30 or 40 minutes regardless of any App being open on the PC.

I'd have to say its v10.02/USB related at this point ....

Will swap to my MacBook pro and see what happens

[Edit] ... 5 mins on Mac (10.8.3) just USB cable from Axe no apps used/launched ..... Axe crashed.

Last edited:
Good call Yek (at least for the Mac).

I had updated to 10.8.3 from 10.6.8 a week or so ago - so possibly that borked something ... even though all fas usb drivers looked to be in the correct place.

So, I hunted down the (4) Mac USB system files and removed them

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/(remove: axefx2load, axefx2load.hex & axefx2unload)

Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/remove: com.fractalaudio.axfx2load.plist

Re-downloaded and Re-installed the Mac USB drivers from FAS .... restarted Mac .... and the Axe stayed active ok for 20 mins before I got bored watching it ... so assume fixed as it crashed after a few minutes previously.

On the PC however .....no luck ...... tried running the uninstaller from C/Fractal Audio Systems/Axe-FX II USB Driver Installer/unins000 and re-installing fresh download ..... but still getting Axe crashes after 20/30 mins with USB cable connected and Axe sitting idle.

Anyone have a list of files/locations to try a manual drivers remove for a W7 64bit system?

I guess the question which begs to be asked-
If this is a USB driver issue, why is it now appearing with the new firmware, and not before? Does the new firmware handle USB communication differently, or make use of different USB libraries/functionality?

Additionally, should Axe-FX CPU utilization be so high? Mine is at about 80% on my presets.

Also, all of my lookups have been with a multitap delay block turned on, but I haven't experimented all that much. I am using only presets.

Last edited:
FWIW - I had a couple of issues with the MultiDelay block but only with Axe-Edit connected so I chalked them up to Axe-Edit issues. I tried to move the MultiDelay block by moving the block and also by moving the column. A few times the sound just died even though all of the connections and settings were correct. Re-initializing the block did not help. The only way to get sound back was to select a different preset and then re-select the original preset again.

Back
Top Bottom