Using the FCB101 with the Axe and a second processor

set theorist

Inspired
Wondering if anyone has had experience using the FCB to control two midi devices. I'm thinking of working an Axon AX100 synth into the program. What I'd like to do is set up program changes on the FCB that control both devices...both changing and bypass (change a preset on the Axe while bypassing the synth with one button press and vice versa.) Also, I'm wondering if I can use the expression pedals to control a mix of the two units (fade out the synth while the axe fades in....yada yada.)

I'm assuming I would use different midi channels for each device. Is this kind of stuff possible?

I've used the FCB to control a V-Amp and a PC running virtual instruments, with the PC chained to the V-Amp set to MIDI "thru". Using different channels like you mentioned is the standard way to control multiple devices in the same MIDI circuit, and is exactly what I did.

You should have no trouble.

That's cool; but then how do I do crossfades between the two devices using the expression pedals. Behringer only lets you assign one midi channel to an expression pedal and if I have both devices receive on the same channel; won't that create problems in terms of program changes? I guess I could map program changes in each device such that both can receive on the same channel and do what I want them to do. Sounds complicated. Anybody doing anything like this?

Sorry, I read right over that part of your post.

You're right about setting them both to the same channel. You'd have to keep PC numbers synchronized between devices, which could get really annoying really quickly.

A different option than setting them both to the same channel, and in my opinion more elegant, would be to insert a Midi Solutions Event Processor before your listening devices and have it fork a CC from one channel to both of the devices' channels. For example, if your Axon was on Ch. 1 and the Axe-Fx on Ch. 2, a normal preset on your FCB might have one expression pedal set to each. And then on a preset that you wanted to be able to blend between the two, you might set one of the pedals to Ch. 3; the Event Processor would then need to be programmed to copy any events on Ch. 3 to Ch. 1 and 2. I've never used one, but that seems like exactly the sort of job the Event Processor was designed for.

What I could do, which is in no way ideal, is program each expression pedal to act as a volume pedal on two different channels and have some ability to fade that way...not ideal; but at least its a workaround.

Too bad you can't assign different midi channels for the expression pedals for each program. At least ripwerx doesn't allow it. maybe it's doable in some other way. ideas?

set theorist said:
Too bad you can't assign different midi channels for the expression pedals for each program. At least ripwerx doesn't allow it.

Rats. I thought it was doable, but you're absolutely right. The channel settings for the expression pedals are global, not per-preset. I haven't really used my FCB since I got my GCP about a year ago, and my memory failed me.

Here's an idea though: couldn't you plug the output of your Axon into Input 2 (FX Return) of the AxeFx, and then use the FX Loop block to control the wet/dry level?

now that's an interesting idea but would that allow me to fade my guitar signal all the way out while leaving the synth on?

Also, could I just set up a preset where input 1 is my guitar signal and input 2 is the axon and use a mixer block?

I don't have my Axe-Fx handy (I'm on the couch watching the USA trounce Finland in Olympic hockey), but I'm confident in assuming that you can set the FX Loop block to be 100% wet. Go give it a shot though and confirm it for yourself.

Another benefit to doing it this way is you won't need a line mixer to feed your monitor or FOH. Whatever you already use for your Axe-Fx will suffice.

thanks for your help on this one. I really think you found a perfect solution. Especially the part about not needing a mixer. I was thinking splitters; but this is a much better solution. thanks again. go USA!!!!

Back
Top Bottom