Using Out 1 for FoH and Out 2 to Real Amp

mferrand

Inspired
Hey all,

I recently have lost the use of my full range cabinet. One of our vocal monitors has died and it has been pressed into use for vox coverage.
I was faced with using a tube amp on stage. I have about 8 presets that I use during our gigs. My first thought was to pull the Amp and Cab blocks out of my existing patches and tweak the drives to get the sound I wanted. I could not get this dialed in and, rather then try and create 8 new presets, I tried another approach....

I thought, how bad would it sound if I just ran my unmodified presets into my amp (Orange Rocker 30 or Hiwatt SA112)? Sacrilege, right?. But on trying it, the sound wasn't too bad. A bit bright on all the presets. I added an OUT2 Block and inserted a Lowpass filter before it. With the LPF dialed to cut off at 1.5 - 2.0 kHz, the sound was pretty good. In the short term I'm going to use this. I have Out 1 going to our FOH and stage monitors and OUT 2 going into my amp.

One thing I do to create a more of an 'Amp in the Room' effect is to use a Chorus block after the Amp and Cab set to a 5% mix. This creates a subtle effect that I think mimics a real Cabinet with multiple speakers and their slight phasing effect.

Comments?

1622732992226.jpeg

Last edited:
Aren't you running a cab sim into an amp and cab? I would think you can place the cab after the split to Out1 so that the cab emulation is not fed into your physical amp and cab..again this may be quite subjective...just a thought...

I had considered that. This is like the factory preset #381. To my ears (again, subjective) I liked the Cab before the split. I don't have the time to do a lot of tweaks as our gig is in a few hours. I will certainly look into that further.

Cheers, Mike

Yesterday I was wondering if it was possible in the future to implement an option to set the output mode to FRFR to Out 1 and SS+Pwr Amp to Out 2...

Back
Top Bottom