Using MIDI thru from Axe to change amp channel.......Latency Problem

racetra

Inspired
I have my setup for effects with my Blackstar right now. I just got the channel switching set up by going Midi Thru from Axe to the amp. When I switch patches and change the channel on the amp there is a good size delay in the amp switching channels. Its so bad that you hear the new eq on the previous amp channel

Could this be from going thru the Axe?

Could it be caused by the MIDI offset?

I am using a 5 pin 3 con cable, could that cause a delay

Any ideas

If your Axe II is a Mark I/II (no hardware thru as on XL) it could be causing the delay.

Does the Blackstar have MIDI thru? Everything might work fine and switch immediately if you connect MFC out to Blackstar, Blackstar thru to Axe-FX in.

If your Axe II is a Mark I/II (no hardware thru as on XL) it could be causing the delay.

Does the Blackstar have MIDI thru? Everything might work fine and switch immediately if you connect MFC out to Blackstar, Blackstar thru to Axe-FX in.

How do I power the MFC then from the Axe? Also the blackstar is 5 pin

Last edited:
You'd have to use the MFC power supply and another MIDI cable from Axe out to MFC in for 2-way communication.

You'd have to use the MFC power supply and another MIDI cable from Axe out to MFC in for 2-way communication.

So, just to make sure i got this right
MFC out--> Blackstar in, Blackstar out/thru --> Axe in, Axe out/thru-->MFC in

I went from the mfc straight to the amp but it didnt work. Maybe it needs a 5 conductor cable. Mine are 3.
That setup should work right?

Ill have to buy a couple of cables. Ill buy 5 pin 5 conductor. Hopefully ill get it to work right

I have to apologize but i am totally MIDI ignint.... Im learnin though

3 conductors are fine for this. 5 are only needed for 2-way data via one cable.

Which aspect didn't work? Amp responding, Axe-FX responding, both?

The amp didnt respond. When I set it up from MFC to amp then to the Axe, the Axe changed but the amp didnt. When I go MFC to Axe then to amp it all works but there is the delay.

I only have 2, 5 pin 3 con cables so it is a bit of a job to hook it all up.

If I use 5 conductor cable and go to the amp first then Axe, will the MFC get the data for the display.

Also, If only 3 conductors are required for a given connection will it damage anything if 5 conductor cables are used?

5 conductors won't damage anything but have no benefit vs. 3 with this connection scheme. You'd still need 3 cables and each would carry data in only one direction.

I don't know why the amp wouldn't switch. It should be getting the same data the Axe thru would have passed. Were you using only 2 cables and getting a timeout/error message on the MFC (in Axe-FX mode)? If you don't have a third cable now, try switching Axe-FX mode to "none". IA switches may not do anything useful but this would just be to test whether the amp responds.

OK, Bakerman, your gonna laugh. I got the 5 pin cables and still it doesn't work. I went straight to the amp....nothin. I set the amp back to OMNI......nothin. Then I went back to the original setup, mfc > Axe > Amp.....amp set to OMNI, works perfect!

Someone told me to set the amp to ch2 and then set the mfc to send on that channel. I did. I guess it likes OMNI better!

Back
Top Bottom