Using MFC III with Ultra & Axe 2

I'm gearing up, literally, to gig out. Can I use the new MFC III w/ my Ultra and Axe 2, interchangeably?
I would have each Axe w/ its own cable running to the MFC. So say set one I use the Ultra...set two the Axe 2 and so on. Do-able?

I don't have an MFC (no editor and I need one to program each show's setlist) but with proper rig programming this should be possible with just about any decent MIDI controller. MIDI controllers have been running FAR more complex rigs than that for many years before Fractal was around.

I use an Axess FX1.... what I would do is assign two IA switches, one to each unit to MUTE or BYPASS the unit. Then run a MIDI cable (or ethernet for an MFC) from one of the AXE FX units to the MFC. Run a short MIDI cable from the out/thru of the first AXE FX unit into MIDI in of the other unit. Assign two different MIDI channels one to each unit. Plug both audio outs into the PA or whatever it is that you use to hear it. You would also need to split your guitar signal to input to both units at once.

For each and every patch....

Set up a patch change to each unit on the corresponding MIDI channel. Both will switch to the selected patch.
Set up each IA switch to send on/off info to both MIDI channels. (most controllers will send IA data for multiple MIDI channels)
For the unit you want active, send the IA info to ON on that patch
For the unit you want to bypass, send IA info to BYPASS or MUTE the output.

You could also engage the bypassed unit by pressing its IA switch and run BOTH units at once. Like flipping on a drive pedal etc you could engage the second unit midsong etc. The next patch could have the opposite unit as the default.

With my method it's old school thinking. But it works with any MIDI gear you have. Sometimes we get spoiled with the automated programming that things like the MFC do. (like reading patch names from the AXE FX instead of programming on the controller) You just need to program each piece separately. Make each unit make the sounds you want... then finally make the controller control each piece of gear in your rig with its own patch.

Its not that hard really. Try experimenting with it.

Any reason you wouldn't use the II for everything and keep the ultra as your backup unit? I would think it could get confusing on the MFC side say if wrong mode ( ultra vs II ) selected, expansion vs midi, and flipping cables if needed, etc. one thing that could be a gotcha is if ultra vs II set incorrectly... The mapping on for IA switches for the II flipped around FW10 and if I recall that was 2.15 on the MFC.

Any reason you wouldn't use the II for everything and keep the ultra as your backup unit? I would think it could get confusing on the MFC side say if wrong mode ( ultra vs II ) selected, expansion vs midi, and flipping cables if needed, etc. one thing that could be a gotcha is if ultra vs II set incorrectly... The mapping on for IA switches for the II flipped around FW10 and if I recall that was 2.15 on the MFC.

I could see it being a cool rig.... run as many as FOUR amps at once for example. And the Backup is always there and always plugged in ready to go.

Good question. The tones I already have in my Ultra are stellar, and numerous. When I recently got my Axe 2, I couldnt reproduce the Ultra's presets by dialing in the same signal chain & knob tweaks.

And, I have some presets in the A2 I want to use. I'll proly use the MFC for the ultra, since it'll be used more. Then get a simple midi foot controller for the A2.

Back
Top Bottom