Using JVM as Power Amp

slinky005

Power User
My first crack at doing this and I'm quite confused.
I have the 410H going into a 1936 cab.
The Axe out is going into the serial loop return.
Turning supply sag off and have the cab off.
It sounds like fizz - basically like listening thru IEMs with the cab off.
If leave the patch exactly as I use it with IEMs it actually sounds amazing - in other words direct in the serial loop return.
I know if sounds good, don't question it but I'm curious about the "proper" way to do this and I want to compare.

when you run the Axe this way it takes some serious EQ'ing IMHO. It's much more difficult than dialing in a sound using FRFR but I think in the long run it sounds the best. Don't be afraid to really get down and dirty with the EQ and you may even need to add a PEQ in the signal chain to get it perfect. Also don't be afraid to turn the poweramp modeling back on and try it. I've found depending on the amplifier I may or may not use the poweramp modeling.

It took me weeks to learn enough to dial in my sound so rest assured the sound is in there and you will get it out, don't get too frustrated....

I thought it was pretty much plug and play using this method. Good to know.
I will start reading and investigating given this info but I am really digging the sound I'm getting as I described in my original post.
I'm trying to understand what people don't like about having amp and cab modelling on using a traditional physical cab.
Maybe I just really like a coloured sound??
Or maybe the JVM is adding it's own colour that is pleasing to me.

I have a JVM and have done this quite a few times.
Depending on how loud I am playing I will leave the power amp modeling on.
At higher volumes leaving it on can make it a bit "boomy" though so then I turn it off.
I turn the output 2 level on the front of my Axe up to about 3:00 Oclock and control the volume from the Master volume on the JVM.
the JVM power amp sounds pretty damn good with the Axe FX II. And don't be araid to throw a GEQ in before the FX loop Block so you can fine tune
your sound.
I also think leaving the cab modeling on at low volume sounds great (part of that is the cab you are using, through my Mesa 2X12 it sounds horrible.)
but as you turn it up you will start to here stuff you won't like
So...since I tend to gravitate to the JVM models anyway, I decided to just use it in 4CM mode. I actually have a patch that I use with my
Mesa cab that has a GEQ in it set up like a Mesa Mark IV EQ "V" and it sounds killer. So I can get some good variation without using IRs.
The effects sound great and I get all of them that I normally would with my FRFR patches :)

this is exactly what i do
axe fx ultra into jvm combo, effects return. I have cabs bypassed for the jvm signal but i leave power amp simulation ON. yes, on paper it might sound iffy but it sounds fantastic. I also have cab sims going to the mixing desk

Back
Top Bottom