Using FM9 with Fryette PS2 for ambient effects and IR loader

mussolo

Hi, I have a couple of vintage amps and a Fryette PS2 that I use to tame them.
I have actually never used the PS2 for silent recording, since I have a FM9 Turbo that serves that purpose very well, but as I started to think about recording my amps in a silent setup with the PS2, the first way that came to my mind was amp -> PS-> audio interface-> desktop IR loader (ex. Wall of sound or similar).
However, I started thinking that, since the FM9 is also a powerful interface, I could directly send the signal from my PS2 to the FM9 and use the latter not only as a IR loader but also to add some ambient effects to the sound coming from my amp/PS2.
In this way, I could use my analog pedals in front of the amp and add the wonderful modulations, reverbs and delays from the FM9 after the preamp, maybe even in stereo.
Since I am quite new to the Fractal world, however, I ask for your help to understand how should I do this avoiding mistakes.
Since I would use the PS2 merely as a reactive load (I would not even turn it on), I would need to have a power amp block activated on the FM9, right?
So I would need to build a scene on the FM9 with the following blocks:
modulations -> reverb -> delay -> power amp -> cab IR
Would you suggest any other addition, a different order or anything else?
Would it be better to run an unbalanced instrument cable from the PS2 to the main input of the FM9, or a balanced XLR cable from the PS2 to the balanced input of the FM9?
Let me know how would you do this, thanks guys!

I run real amps with the FM9 as if they were a stomp box. You would not want to add a power block, as the amp's power amp is part of the signal chain when you use a load box. Set Out3 Level to maximum on the FM9 unit - that is Unity Gain. Watch the Input 3 level indicator and alter the PS2 output appropriately.

FM9 Connection to Amp.jpg

I run real amps with the FM9 as if they were a stomp box. You would not want to add a power block, as the amp's power amp is part of the signal chain when you use a load box. Set Out3 Level to maximum on the FM9 unit - that is Unity Gain. Watch the Input 3 level indicator and alter the PS2 output appropriately.

View attachment 115646
Thanks! Well I also have a JJ Jr in my arsenal so I will try this way, but if I want I can also do guitar -> amp-> PS2 loadbox -> FM9 right? The only difference would be that I won't be able to run any fx block in front of the amp if I understand correctly.
And what about the necessity of the humbuster cable? I have heard mixed opinions about them

You are able to run any fx block in front of the amp and after as well . Humbuster cable help where is needed .

Thanks! Well I also have a JJ Jr in my arsenal so I will try this way, but if I want I can also do guitar -> amp-> PS2 loadbox -> FM9 right? The only difference would be that I won't be able to run any fx block in front of the amp if I understand correctly.
And what about the necessity of the humbuster cable? I have heard mixed opinions about them
Not exactly : FM9 - AMP - PS2 - FM9 - Sound Card/daw
i ll share to you a patch tomorrow for this specific use .

Last edited:
Yes, you can run guitar straight into amp if you wish. Then you don't need to use OUT 3. However, running into the FM9 first works very well, so I recommend it. I even have a few real stomp boxes in between the FM9 out and my amp inputs. Stuff that the FM9 just doesn't emulate.

I don't know if the FM9 will get confused with no guitar signal into Input 1, but probably it can handle that. Watch for the need to set up block side chains that might default to In 1.

I strongly recommend A/B of direct into amp vs through FM9 to amp to ensure the tone is not affected by the FM9 input, because the FM9 is so great as a total signal controller. Using it only post-amp loses a lot of the power of the FM9.

I can switch between a real amp and amp models on a preset-by-preset basis by using the FM9 to manage the whole signal. I also like to put various effects, like Phaser and Flanger and Compressor, in front of my amps.

The HUMBUSTER cable is for reducing ground loop hum. I strongly recommend it. You would use it for the connection between the FM9 Output and the amp input. It's not required, but if you notice some hum, odds are the humbuster cable will improve it. I've made my own out of TRS cables for cheap, and also had some nice ones made for me. I've had adapters made as well. What you need:
TRS cable. TS plug. Leave one end alone. That will stay TRS and be plugged into an FM9 output.
Connect the TS side (however you choose to do it) so that the TRS gets rewired as:
TRS Shield - disconnected (leave connected at the TRS end of the cable, disconnect at the TS end)
TRS Ring - Tied to TS plug Shield
TRS Tip - Tied to TS plug Tip

unbalanced cable from the line out (jack) of the power load to input 3 of the FM9
Sorry if I abuse your availability, but I have the FM9 since a few weeks only and didn't have time to dive deep into the unit. Input 3 is a balanced one, so what's the point in running an unbalanced cable into it?

Yes you can run guitar > pedals > amp > load box > FM9

No, you do not need a Humbuster cable for that setup.*

Personally, I'd run balanced from PS2 to the FM9. But unbalanced should also work fine.

*You don't need a Humbuster cable for any setup unless you're experiencing ground hum/noise and are attempting to solve the problem. Plenty of people (including myself) have had success using regular unbalanced cables in complex rigs.

Back
Top Bottom