Use regular wah still or axe fx's? Why?

Axe-Fx. No extra gear, cables, power supply needed and the auto-engage function is just wonderful

The axe, I don't want to run cabling from my wireless out 20 feet or so and back to the rack. Also with scenes you can have a 4 different wah setting to play with. If you are not into scenes or putting an xy on an ia for wah you can still have a different wah setting for every patch. That is amazing to me Totally not possible without the axe. Yes the Dunlop Rack wah is amazing but still only one wah sound unless you go and turn knobs between songs

cool video racetra - cheers for taking the time out to do it.

Im all axe, actually i have never owned a stand alone way! used the ones in multi-effects units ive had..

I wish the wah block had a built in eq like the amp block does. You can currently connect an eq block to the wah block, but its more work.

As to what I use with my setup been pretty much sticking with the Axe Fx wah, I like the ability to have a different wah with whatever preset.

I have a DCR-1SR also, great wah however: do yourself a BIG favor and replace the inductor with a red Fasel inductor. It will sound allot better much more like those classic Dunlop wah’s. And it will sound pretty much identical to a DCR-2SR minus the “Q” control. Very easy mod if you are handy with the soldering iron
Dunlop Red Fasel inductor for Dunlop Crybaby wah [EFF-D-FL-02R] - $13.95 : NewOldSounds.com

You can set up an expression pedal to do the same thing.

Do you know how to mod pedals for autoengage? Ive got DCR-2SR?

try this: set the input Z to 1M instead of auto. worked for me

Ive done it in the past but wasnt fully happy with it. I also got 3 different expression pedals<Boss, Ernie Ball, Roland> and mus say that Boss and Roland work pretty much the same. The thing is that it doesnt decieve me enough to like the way it sounds something is missing. I like deep Petrucci "Home" wah but it simply chokes in axe hence I want to try external and see how it affects Axe's processing.

Thats what I'm talking about... lack/not the same amount of filtering in Axe FX when overdriven. It sounds like the wah is not fully present comparing to traditional standalone wahs.

I guess another issue is the speed and immediacy of a real versus a midi signal. Always seems laggy on the Axe Fx,

I used a standard dunlop cry baby wah in front of the axe ultra and thought that was better than the wah in the axe. When i got the axeII i also ended up with a DCR-1SR wah which i think is far far better than the wah in the axe.

The wah effects in the axe (even thou there are endless settings thiat can be tweaked) don't seem to quack and stand out like a original wah in front of the axe does for me.

I used a standard dunlop cry baby wah in front of the axe ultra and thought that was better than the wah in the axe. When i got the axeII i also ended up with a DCR-1SR wah which i think is far far better than the wah in the axe.

The wah effects in the axe (even thou there are endless settings thiat can be tweaked) don't seem to quack and stand out like a original wah in front of the axe does for me.

I'm trying it today then because my feelings are exactly the same. Cheers for sharing thoughts.

No not at all.
I know a little bit about electronics but I am not a tech
Basically I know enough to be dangerous. :mrgreen

haha lol im the same but I've done some mods in my life and all are working... basically knowledge from my father haha :D

The wah stuff is certainly serviceable but could stand to be looked at a little more closely by Cliff and the boys. I'm sure he could have an epiphany like he did with the power amp modeling stuff and with so many other things through the years.

The wah stuff is certainly serviceable but could stand to be looked at a little more closely by Cliff and the boys. I'm sure he could have an epiphany like he did with the power amp modeling stuff and with so many other things through the years.

While we are not due anything and the wah is certainly good, I think it has been the most non-improved function of the Axe Fx. Strangely because it is a bread and butter for most guitarists. Again it's good and could be great.

I would like to say again that I do not feel slighted or due anything. Just a humble request from a raving Fractal fan/ambassador.

I'm kind off in between... still think that Dunlop Custom Rack Wah got more range and sounds more "juicy" and the sweep range is kind off more natural. I dont really like Volume drop in axe fx... its really noticeable when wah is on from autoengage all that regards to V.7.xx I havent tried it recently maybe all have changed.

I set my Wah block with a level boost to bring it out more. Just a few db. Works well for me.

I've owned Dunlop, Fulltone, Teese and other wahs. I'm now using just the Axe-Fx Wah, to my complete satisfaction.

IMHO the trick to a wah tone that cuts through, when using it with hi-gain amp tones, is limiting the max frequency. I have it set at 1947 now, more or less based on Jerry Cantrell's Dunlop wah settings. His wah tones, live and recorded, are my holy grail.

Some samples of "my" wah tones can be found here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/62265-excerpts-recent-gig-recorded-stage.html

I've owned Dunlop, Fulltone, Teese and other wahs. I'm now using just the Axe-Fx Wah, to my complete satisfaction.

IMHO the trick to a wah tone that cuts through, when using it with hi-gain amp tones, is limiting the max frequency. I have it set at 1947 now, more or less based on Jerry Cantrell's Dunlop wah settings. His wah tones, live and recorded, are my holy grail.

Some samples of "my" wah tones can be found here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/62265-excerpts-recent-gig-recorded-stage.html
That's fantastic! I Love JC's way tone!. Can you hook us up with the settings?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom