USB recording = random pops in recorded take?

Yes they are recorded, as I was just trying to capture an effects block.... So I was not really concerned unless it was recorded... But they were recorded.

Monitor via built in and it is fine.

I was referring to the original poster

"I went through some of the waveform tonight expecting to find little peaks and what not where the pops are....none found. Sometimes it will play two pops and then only one in the same location when I reply it multiple times. Rendered the pops are still there.

I plugged in my POD X3 to see if it's a straight up computer issue, no pops in the takes from that. Plugs in the same way, via USB and I selected it the same way in Reaper. Plugged the II back in, changed the device back and recorded a take. It was full of random pops.

So something is up with how the II interacts with my system. I went through all settings again, made sure everything is 4800Hrz/24bit. Can't think of what I would be missing here.

Anyone?"

Last edited:
Yea mine are recorded too i.e. when I render a clip, they are there. So they are deff there on playback and deff there when I render the project.

You got me thinking though so for giggles I took one of the raw takes(out of the folder) and converted it to another format with another program to try and strip it of any shenanigans that would cause pops...yup, still there.

The bug thread almost deals with strictly playback and not recorded tones from the way I read it so I don't know if we are talking about the same issue.

I had wanted to avoid bugging Cliff and crew with this but it looks like we are at that stage. I'll send them an email tonight and see if they can offer any insight.

I have had the same problem with Mac Lion, it seems to have improved a little as the firmware has bee updated..but it is still there.

Def seems like some kind of bug/driver issue between a Mac and the audio interface on the Ax

Yea mine are recorded too i.e. when I render a clip, they are there. So they are deff there on playback and deff there when I render the project.

You got me thinking though so for giggles I took one of the raw takes(out of the folder) and converted it to another format with another program to try and strip it of any shenanigans that would cause pops...yup, still there.

The bug thread almost deals with strictly playback and not recorded tones from the way I read it so I don't know if we are talking about the same issue.

I had wanted to avoid bugging Cliff and crew with this but it looks like we are at that stage. I'll send them an email tonight and see if they can offer any insight.

It might not be recorded. That might occur during the rendering process (which can be a type of playback). Select another audio driver with the recording then render. Is still there?

the point is if the waveform doesn't show it, the pops are most likely introduced afterwards. If the were on the recording it would show in the waveform.

EDIT: I'm not professing to be some kind of expert here. Just trying to get you to list out all of the things that some smarty in here may spot and say "bingo... that's what's wrong.. trying doing this instead"

no man, thanks but I did not take it the wrong way.... I knew you were being helpful.

Thanks

Martin

I was referring to the original poster

"I went through some of the waveform tonight expecting to find little peaks and what not where the pops are....none found. Sometimes it will play two pops and then only one in the same location when I reply it multiple times. Rendered the pops are still there.

I plugged in my POD X3 to see if it's a straight up computer issue, no pops in the takes from that. Plugs in the same way, via USB and I selected it the same way in Reaper. Plugged the II back in, changed the device back and recorded a take. It was full of random pops.

So something is up with how the II interacts with my system. I went through all settings again, made sure everything is 4800Hrz/24bit. Can't think of what I would be missing here.

Anyone?"

Hi Sean,

if you set the output to be the built in interface does the problem go away?....you have to re-record the audio though, it seems to affect it durring the recording.

I checked all the 4800/24bit things I could see too.

I did not have the problem when I was using the same hardware to record with a KB37 or a MBox2 Pro...although I have not used the M-Box 2 pro with Lion ....and it is a firewire interface.

Cheers

Martin

Just read Cliffs latest comment about the apple bug affecting Sandy Bridge processors.

Mine is a Mid 2009 mac book pro, so that is not a Sandy Bridge model.

It might not be recorded. That might occur during the rendering process (which can be a type of playback). Select another audio driver with the recording then render. Is still there?

the point is if the waveform doesn't show it, the pops are most likely introduced afterwards. If the were on the recording it would show in the waveform.

I see where you are going with this. I'll dig a little more into the render settings when I get home.

The fact that I don't see any spikes in the waveform baffles me. More so since I took the raw wave, out of the Reaper folder, and converted of to aiff and mp3 and compared the three. They all pop in the same spots.

I don't think its the same issue described in the other thread but the fix for that could be the fix for this.

Looking at this again.... I closed down all the apps and tried again, it does not seem to be doing it now on recording... only randomly on playback now.

I noticed that the HDD meter was getting very high at times whilst recording...only one track.

it was no way near as bad today, so I am wondering if it is more down to the hard drive performance than anything else.

I recently got a bigger hard drive and am wondering if it is not as good or as fast as the apple supplied one.

I think I will revert back to all apple hardware and try again.

hmmm the plot thickens.

Mac book pro mid 2009 15inch 2.8ghz 8GB RAM

So only 1 drive internally.

Just doing a restore of the original drive, should be finished tomorrow.

Will report back

haaaa.... you just beat me to my next suggestion....

my oldest boy is a producer [studying at the ACM].. he suffers with mega probs at times...
he has a 2006 mac book pro with every possible upgrade..
he runs logic and ableton.. but cos he does dance music, some of his au's [omnisphere, massive, reaktor etc] are seriously cpu and ram hungry..
I've got him an external dvd drive and now we're going to whip out his internal dvd drive and replace it with a hdd to increase the speed of hard drive read/writes..
this won't cure all of his probs but we're expecting some good improvements based upon our research...

if it turns out the hard drive type is the cause, then maybe this is an upgrade path for you to consider...
note: though... Apple seriously frown on this and the last time I looked declared it 'not supported'.. so if you are under warranty or on a support contract don't do it, or find out if it'd still be valid with such an upgrade..
also note: all the dance producers that play live sets have this upgrade and I suspect would struggle to some degree without it...

EDIT: I'm not a mac expert by any means, but I'm lead to believe that the thing that makes a difference with a really fast hard drive is the performance of the virtual memory.. I'm not certain, but I think it's an area of hard drive reserved to handle things when your ram is over-subscribed..
thing is... you got one metric sh1t load of ram... so I don't understand why you're suffering..

thought... do you have lots of other 'things' jacked into USB ports..??
so.. could this be congestion on a bus or something for usb?? I don't really know how usb works cos I'm a firewire type with my audio...
if the workings are similar though, I do know that there is only one firewire circuit on my mac [although I have several ports]..
so jacking multiple firewire things into that circuit - including my audio interface - will degrade the audio [rec and play]..
so if I wanted firewire for two audio interfaces, I'm told that I should add another firewire circuit so the two audio interfaces do not need to coexist...
ok so this is not your problem.. but I'm wondering if the thinking behind it is along a similar path....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom