Upload an Bank to the Axe

ne1roc

I had bee using Lar's editor to upload banks, but I would like to know how to do it without the Editor. I used the Wiki but it must be missing a step because its not working for me?

help....

dongrosh said:
you can use programs like midi-ox.
There IS a lot of info about that on the wiki.

Thank you for this excellent piece of information. I am forever in your debt, and offer you my first born as a small gesture of my gratitude.

maybe you should specify WHAT does not work, and maybe it´s not the right way to
criticism ironical that people who are willing to help here.....

all from the Wiki

Uploading/downloading patches without the editor - same with banks

This is how you do it with a PC:

1) Download MIDI-OX if you dont already have it: http://www.midiox.com/
2) Start MIDI-OX, and use "Options -> Midi Devices" to select your Midi device input/output (this might pop up automatically the first time you run midiox)
3) Open the sysex window "View -> Sysex..."
4) Select "Sysex -> Receive manual dump" to start listening for a sysex dump
5) On the AxeFx, press the "Utility" button, and use the "Page" button to navigate to the "Preset" page.
6) From here you can either select "Dump Preset to MIDI" (for a single preset) or the various "Dump Bank...." for the banks, press "Enter" to start dumping.
7) MIDI-OX will now receive the preset(s), and you can just use "Display Window -> Save as..." to save it to a .syx file

If you want to send data to the AxeFx, use steps 1-3 and then:
4) "Command Window -> Load file..."
5) "Command Windows -> Send Sysex".

If you are using MIDI-OX to send the firmware to the Axe-Fx be aware that MIDI-OX's default settings may cause a buffer overrun error in that program. We recommend the following settings:

Low Level I/O Buffers: size - 256, number - 16 Milliseconds between buffers: 90

To configure MIDI-OX use: View -> Sysex to bring up the Sysex view window then Sysex -> Configure to configure the buffers.

NOTE: Some combinations of computer and MIDI adapter are known to cause problems. The M-Audio UNO in particular is problematic. If you are having problems installing the firmware and are using this adapter it is highly recommended that you consider investing in a different adapter.

Changing Bank Location

The bank location of a bank dump (i.e. Bank A, Bank B or Bank C) is speficied via the 7th byte. Here are the first seven bytes of a bank dump sysex file:

F0 00 00 7D 00 04 03

the '03' indicates Bank B. So you can just change this to load to the desired bank as follows:

02 = Bank A 03 = Bank B 04 = Bank C

So, WHAT step is not clear or doesn´t work?

dongrosh said:
If you want to send data to the AxeFx, use steps 1-3 and then:
4) "Command Window -> Load file..."
5) "Command Windows -> Send Sysex".

Sorry for the sarcasm but for the 2 plus years I've owned the AXF, and I think this is the third time I've asked for help on this forum, and I always get the same answer,"Check the Wiki", which I always do or I search out the forum.

In this case, the Wiki must be missing a step in the instruction?
Where do I send to in the AFX? All I see is Dump banks, not Receive Banks?

ne1roc said:
Sorry for the sarcasm but for the 2 plus years I've owned the AXF, and I think this is the third time I've asked for help on this forum, and I always get the same answer,"Check the Wiki", which I always do or I search out the forum.

In this case, the Wiki must be missing a step in the instruction?
Where do I send to in the AFX? All I see is Dump banks, not Receive Banks?
There is no "receive banks." That part of it is "always on."

What software are you using to upload it?
At what point does it fail to upload? (You can tell if it's uploading at all, since the Axe will seem to "freeze up" while the tempo light remains either constantly on or constantly off and then resumes blinking once the bank is finished uploading.)

godprobe said:
What software are you using to upload it?
At what point does it fail to upload? (You can tell if it's uploading at all, since the Axe will seem to "freeze up" while the tempo light remains either constantly on or constantly off and then resumes blinking once the bank is finished uploading.)

godprobe said:
There is no "receive banks." That part of it is "always on."

Do you still have to be in the presets page of the Utilities menu?

I use Bome Sendsx which works great for me. The problem I guess is I did not notice any indication it was actually loading into the AFX and probably stopped it before it finished loading which would explain why I no longer get any output.

the information of the place where the Bank HAS to go is IN the Syx.
So A goes to A and C goes to C, you have NOT to do anything special,
except you want to have A to B or B to C or whatever.
It takes not as long as a firmware but much longer than a patch,
around a minute.....nothing to "click" on the AXE itself like while
updating the firmware - it´s near the same procedure like you are
doing sending a single preset.....

Back
Top Bottom