Updated firmware and effect type changed in all my presets?

So I updated to 6.00 and now my saved Vibrato/chorus setting in my block library goes to a different type and I can't get it back? Anyone had this happen and figure out a fix? Can I just import my old block library or something?

Edit: I tried importing it from my block library file on my computer and it still reverts to the wrong "type".

So I ended up reinstalling the old firmware and loading my backup that I made before updating, I think what happened is they changed the algorithm of the "Vintage Chorus" which I was using as a Vibrato setting (saved in my block library) to the "Tape Chorus" and it threw all the settings out of whack. I noted all the settings for the old version and when I have time I'm gonna try to recreate it with the new algorithm.

Last edited:
Not sure how your vibrato/chorus setting switched to something else...the workaround is if you saved a copy of the vibrato/chorus block for future reference, simply select the same vibrato/chorus block and use your effects library drop-down menu. If you named it something specific, you'll recognize it, and be able to select that as your replacement effects.

FTR, you can't import an effects block like you can with a preset, but can use your Fractal Audio documents library (which contains presets, layouts, and blocks) to select blocks from Tools > Library

Not sure how your vibrato/chorus setting switched to something else...the workaround is if you saved a copy of the vibrato/chorus block for future reference, simply select the same vibrato/chorus block and use your effects library drop-down menu. If you named it something specific, you'll recognize it, and be able to select that as your replacement effects.

FTR, you can't import an effects block like you can with a preset, but can use your Fractal Audio documents library (which contains presets, layouts, and blocks) to select blocks from Tools > Library
What I mean is that what was normally a "Digital Mono" chorus type (for example), in my presets that I've saved to my block library as "Vibrato", is now the "Tape Chorus" type and is completely different than the sound I had saved in my library. When I load up what's in my block library it reverts to the wrong type, ie the Tape chorus and not the Digital mono. The problem is, I don't remember what type it was that I was using. Even if I load it up from my Block library file on my computer it still loads up the Tape Chorus which is the wrong type.

First off, have you done Refresh After New Firmware in the editor? If not, do that and check again.

If you have, did you save blocks or channels? When you save a block, it's all channels. When you recall the block it may not load on the channel you expect. Check the other channels.

First off, have you done Refresh After New Firmware in the editor? If not, do that and check again.

If you have, did you save blocks or channels? When you save a block, it's all channels. When you recall the block it may not load on the channel you expect. Check the other channels.
yeah, i did refresh after firmware

Not on the other channels.

Have you done a 'Refresh Library' under the arrow next to the 'Library' heading in the lower-lefthand corner? Make sure to use a new block after the refresh to test rather than the one where you refreshed.

Don't know if it will make any difference but do you have the latest version of the editor loaded as well?

Heh, not sure of this suggestion either but can you load up an old preset with your preferred Vibrato/Chorus setting and then resave that block in the library on the new firmware?

What I mean is that what was normally a "Digital Mono" chorus type (for example), in my presets that I've saved to my block library as "Vibrato", is now the "Tape Chorus" type and is completely different than the sound I had saved in my library. When I load up what's in my block library it reverts to the wrong type, ie the Tape chorus and not the Digital mono. The problem is, I don't remember what type it was that I was using. Even if I load it up from my Block library file on my computer it still loads up the Tape Chorus which is the wrong type.
Although my use if vibrato is limited, there are likely many forum members who can help you with various blocks that could provide a close approximation of your original circuit. Far be it than try to tell someone if they can't remember where they put their glasses, to look up, in an oh yeah sense. Seriously, been there, got the t-shirt. Am sure someone can help you recall what block type it was.

Have you done a 'Refresh Library' under the arrow next to the 'Library' heading in the lower-lefthand corner? Make sure to use a new block after the refresh to test rather than the one where you refreshed.

Don't know if it will make any difference but do you have the latest version of the editor loaded as well?

Heh, not sure of this suggestion either but can you load up an old preset with your preferred Vibrato/Chorus setting and then resave that block in the library on the new firmware?
Yeah, I tried refreshing the Library, still went to the wrong one.

Yes, latest version of editor.

Any old preset with that vibrato setting reverts to the Tape Chorus

Yeah, I tried refreshing the Library, still went to the wrong one.

Yes, latest version of editor.

Any old preset with that vibrato setting reverts to the Tape Chorus
Have you tried using digital mono, analog mono, or tape flanger type. with your previous settings?
I like the tape flanger with the default sine lfo, mix at 100%, stereo spread at 0, width at 100%, auto depth = off, delay on the low side (.10- 3ms) the higher the more pronounced the warble becomes, and depth will need to come down unless you are going for a real seasicky sound. With auto depth off you have a lot of control , but it takes some playing around with depth, delay time, and rate to get the desired effect.

At the default rate of 1Hz, and delay time of .10 ms, you can go from a subtle effect w/ a depth of 20 or slightly lower and moderately pronounced at 100%. As you turn the delay time the wider the pitch shift sound at a given depth. at the 1hz rate , a 3 ms delay, with 100% depth gives very wide, slow, pronounced warble. At 20% depth is still pretty intense. Take the rate between 4-~6.5 Hz and lower the depth to ~4-11% , you get rotaryish effect (6 Hz rate and and 6% depth with 3ms delay time for example). At the very low delay times if you get the rate too low you may notice the tone thins out and 0 depth you get a comb filtered sound.
hope that helps you dial something in.

I will say that I had the same thing happen to a few of my presets as well. They all used the "Vintage Tape" type before but the effect became way too extreme. Reducing depth to 20% made it far less distracting but I'm definitely going to have to tweak these more.

EDIT: Looked into it again today and I got my desired effect back by reducing the delay time to the minimum with 100% depth. Maybe with the changes to the type that might be a new default that loaded upon recall.

Last edited:
Yes, this has happened to several of my presets. This is a bug for sure in 6.0. At least as far as I am concerned its a bug.

Seems to be. I messed around last night trying to figure it out by going through all the types and trying some tweaking, got closer but I'm still not hearing it the same as it was. Does anyone know, in the Hislop presets, was it the Tape Chorus or some other Chorus type that was being used for the Vibrato?

I will say that I had the same thing happen to a few of my presets as well. They all used the "Vintage Tape" type before but the effect became way too extreme. Reducing depth to 20% made it far less distracting but I'm definitely going to have to tweak these more.

EDIT: Looked into it again today and I got my desired effect back by reducing the delay time to the minimum with 100% depth. Maybe with the changes to the type that might be a new default that loaded upon recall.
I just tried reducing the delay time and the depth as thejacobclark suggested. It worked but to my ears turning the delay time up to about 1.3 seems more like how it was. With the delay time at the minimum of .10 it seemed like it wasn't really doing enough. Also it is the Tape Chorus - I couldn't find one labeled as Vintage Tape - the the one in the Hislop presets was/is the Tape Chorus.

Seems to be. I messed around last night trying to figure it out by going through all the types and trying some tweaking, got closer but I'm still not hearing it the same as it was. Does anyone know, in the Hislop presets, was it the Tape Chorus or some other Chorus type that was being used for the Vibrato?
I can reload the preset and see what chorus he used when I get to my rig.

Back
Top Bottom