Unable to Clean up Muddy Sound - Is Restoring all Factory Settings a Reasonable Approach?

Hey all,
I've struggled with this unit since getting it, but not ready to give up yet. I'm afraid months of adjusting this that and other things, have perhaps created problems I'm note even aware of...except one. It sounds horrible. Working with another player over the weekend, the only thing I could do to cut through on solos was to jack treble up high treble (and authentic treble) to 10...that ain't right. Everything is updated, including banks A, B and C. ALL presets sound muddy as can be. I'm using an FRFR cabinet...Given all this, Is restoring factory settings a good starting point?...BTW, I have no presents I need, or am not willing to recreate.

You've tried:
  • other guitars
  • other cables
  • other amplification
  • other power outlets
  • new strings
?

Hey all,
I've struggled with this unit since getting it, but not ready to give up yet. I'm afraid months of adjusting this that and other things, have perhaps created problems I'm note even aware of...except one. It sounds horrible. Working with another player over the weekend, the only thing I could do to cut through on solos was to jack treble up high treble (and authentic treble) to 10...that ain't right. Everything is updated, including banks A, B and C. ALL presets sound muddy as can be. I'm using an FRFR cabinet...Given all this, Is restoring factory settings a good starting point?...BTW, I have no presents I need, or am not willing to recreate.
What guitar pickups etc…. What FRFR speaker or PA are you going thru?

You've tried:
  • other guitars
  • other cables
  • other amplification
  • other power outlets
  • new strings
?
This......usually the culprits.....

But also:
-Reset system parameters
-Go to the global menu and change the level to +4 dBu
-Change the input trim
-Change the input impedence settings and see if that helps (usually should be auto)

Also, WHAT FRFR are you using? Sometimes the frfr is itself the culprit

Also try another guitar and cable, usually the problem

Additionally, you can record a clip via USB of you playing a factory preset and let's hear what it sounds like. If it sounds normal to us it might be your frfr

It always helps to pick one preset that is causing problems, and export and attach it along your most recently backed-up system+gb+fc.sys file so we can poke around.

Have you listened using good headphones connected to the headphone output to see what the sound is like before it gets to any external device?

What IRs are you using? Everything sounded dark/muddy on my system until I found a few go-to IRs. Once you find them, try them out in one of the presets that sound “muddy”.

How is the basic problem?
Is it the way that the lows are tight but there's a blanket over the highs.
Or is it the way the lows are too loud and dominate?
Or is it the way the lows are not tight?

Tight and right lows means the overall sound balance from the guitar should be ok. And then there maybe some highs missing? So turn up the highs, like you did, it's ok. And maybe add some more mids. Mids that seem almost honky help you to cut through.

Mellow lows mean that the sound coming from the guitar is too bassy, you need to lower the low content before the amp block or on the input eq page to fix it. Turning up highs is the wrong cure there, dialing out these lows is the only cure.

Too loud but tight lows or overall missing mids could mean a bassy monitoring. The output eq in the system settings should fix that, no need to touch the presets.

Lots of questions, here's a few answers.
Mission Engineering Gemini 2x12 passive cabinet.
JPMajesty Rainmaker/Dreamcatcher; Strandberg with Fishman Fluence pickups...so they both run really hot.
Set the global input to +4 dBu months ago to get rid of constant squeal.
I've tried changing IRs, some are definitely better than others...so that's an opportunity.
I use a Fishman outlet strip mounted to my cabinet.
You've scared me a bit with possibly blown tweeter in FRFR...but worth looking into.

Thanks all...I'm gonna keep fighting this thing

Connect USB to your computer and play some full mix music through USB Out 1&2. If it sounds muffled/muddy too, then it's likely your power amp or cab.

I have the same cab. It's too dark to play through without some adjustments, at least at bedroom volume levels. I haven't heard it at high volume. If I play through it I go to setup > global settings > Out 1 EQ and turn band 1 down and band 5 up by 6db or however much is necessary.

Does it sound better through headphones?

Back
Top Bottom