Ultra through a solid state amp.

BeckWreck

Greetings, friends. I normally use house PA systems for use with my Ultra, but the next gig I have is a dive bar with none of the fancy equipment. I have a solid state Fender 212R, and have been talking around, asking what the best way to utilize these two devices together is. I've heard that unbalanced out to the input 1 of the Fender works [EQ everything to 0], as well as through the poweramp in.

My question is, which method do you think is the best, and what settings am I changing in the Ultra?

Since the FM 212R doesn't have an effects loop, you will have to go from a single Ultra OUIT to GUITAR in, You probably need to adjust out level on the Ultra and "center" EQ and turn off any built-in effects, drive. etc.

You'll just have to use your ears... test it out at stage volume during rehearsal (if possible).
I used my Ultra that way for about a year - before I went the FRFR route.

Since the FM 212R doesn't have an effects loop,
Yes it does have a loop, on the front panel.

I would try it both ways to see which works best, but my guess is that using the power-amp in will probably give you the best sound.

Yeah, going through that power amp in sounds the best. I wish they would have labeled the thing better, I had to dig around for that manual to see what those things really did. Thanks for your help, guys.

Funny enough, I also enjoy an FM and an Ultra. Very often I use the FM preamp into the Ultra, in a 3 Cable Method (after a Comp and a Drive Block usually) + its IRs and effects. Now, for your application the Power Amp In is the best option--in this way you will avoid the inevitable coloring of the sound if going Ultra Out>FM Instrument 1 In (I presume that you want to use the Ultra's preamps; if you want to use the FM's preamp, then use the 4 Cable Method--your delays and reverbs will sound much better that way). Don't forget to turn off the Cabs of the Ultra. Make sure to initially turn down the sound of the Ultra and gradually increase it, otherwise there will be a big boom that can deafen you. Good luck and have loads of fun!

Another quick question because I am a classical guitarist getting into electric playing: Do I use speaker cables for this method, or do instrument cables work fine? I wish they'd use different connectors...

Speaker cables go from power amps to speakers, not line level outputs to preamp/amp inputs.

Back
Top Bottom