Ultra Hardware age?

6CA7

Has there been any *hardware* updates (processors/memory etc) to the Ultra since it was introduced?

I'm really thinking of moving to the Axe platform so I was curious.

Thanks

I think the only change/update was the LCD and scroll wheel algorithm. (scroll wheel was updated only by sending unit in. Its been a while on that one) No biggies. A few of us have updated the CPU fan on our own.

GuitarDojo said:
I think the only change/update was the LCD and scroll wheel algorithm. (scroll wheel was updated only by sending unit in. Its been a while on that one) No biggies. A few of us have updated the CPU fan on our own.

What he said.

Ok. Thanks for the info guys.

I think my biggest concern is if there is a totally new unit around the corner since this thing is $2K.
But it sounds so damn good..the amp models and the efx.

I don't think I could go wrong.

There is no reason to think the ULTRA will be replaced any time soon. The only thing would be the AxePC, but we dont know when that'll happen.

That's good to know. Especially since it's almost 5 years on the hardware where companies like Line6 have something new all the time. Hence my apprehension but it seems like this hardware was pretty well thought out and powerful. Plus I like the fact that Cliff and gang are always updating it. Seems it's not just new things either but revamping this and that to make it even better. At least that's how I read through these posts here.

AxePc sounds cool...but I'd like to have a dedicated unit like the Ultra for now.

6CA7 said:
That's good to know. Especially since it's almost 5 years on the hardware where companies like Line6 have something new all the time. Hence my apprehension but it seems like this hardware was pretty well thought out and powerful. Plus I like the fact that Cliff and gang are always updating it. Seems it's not just new things either but revamping this and that to make it even better. At least that's how I read through these posts here.

AxePc sounds cool...but I'd like to have a dedicated unit like the Ultra for now.

Ya, but the newest line6 gear doesn't even approach the ultra...not to mention that if you want a firmware upgrade for line6 you'd sooner see it if you programmed it yourself than waited for release!

6CA7 said:

Seems to me that even though line6 releases a new product all the time, they dont seem to get much better...IMO the only real good product they ever made was M13..

Their gear does look good, though...

The Standard may be five years old, the Ultra is hardly 3. I haven't heard anything except Cliff stating he didn't plan anything for a couple of years.

Digidesign's Eleven is just out and not even in the ballpark of the Axe-FX's quality..

danielodland said:
Seems to me that even though line6 releases a new product all the time, they dont seem to get much better...IMO the only real good product they ever made was M13..

Their gear does look good, though...

They do release products all the time and that is the model I want to stay clear of. Nothing worse than buying a product then every 9 months there is something new and you are left with an obsolete item. This is one thing I *like* about the AxeFx is that updates come out through firmware. It's just been awhile on this hardware so that was my only concern before I purchase. It seems this was well throughout with plenty of horsepower to stand on it's own for awhile.

I have seen the Digidesign Eleven but I'm not impressed. Maybe it's good in it's own right but I don't think it's in the same ballpark from what I have read. Obviously I have not played through either yet.

You guys can correct me if I'm off base but I would think that even if a new Ultra came out in the near future the amp models are likely to remain as they are in current form or whatever form Cliff throws at us in 9.0.

Perhaps there would be larger sized IR's which would help in the cab department, more memory, headphone jack, faster processor and a USB port instead of having to do things via MIDI but nothing that would be a change akin to POD XT Live to POD X3 Live which all they did was take two POD XT's and stick them together for tandem use.

The way Cliff was talking about new firmware and his epiphanies about tube amps it sounds like we'll be with this hardware platform for quite some time. I'm very ok with that. :D

Back
Top Bottom