Ultra Firmware Version 7.15 Up

Radley said:
It is interesting to note that both the NR and Compression improvements are things I and others have been calling for amongst the assorted moans and protests from various 'standard bearers'.
!

except for the addition of the Lab Series amp model ;)

(had to throw that in)

Reset feature = SWEET :mrgreen: I've been wanting that for a long time.

I'm looking forward to the new compression as well. I'm still back in one of the early V7 firmwares, so I've yet to try it since the last overhaul. I've been too busy between life in general and gigs to mess with updating, but as soon as the 7.15 Std comes out I'm going for it.

Thanks Cliff!
D

Has anyone used theirs since upgrading? I'd like a review of what's different in sound quality with the compressor. (I haven't updated mine, yet, and am not near my gear.)

Dutch said:
As I said, good ideas get honored by Mr Chase! And bad don't. Don't worry about the opposition. That's what forae are about and what human beings do. Oppose stuff. I do. Just keep pushing ideas and Cliff and only Cliff will decide. If it's doable you have a good chance.

Yes - it is extremely cool that Cliff is actually listening to the users and is so adept at quick implementation, and that he is also a player! My concern with what I've viewed as 'negative or dismissive responses' to user ideas is that people will start to feel squelched and figure it's no longer worth the trouble. Even 'newbies' can have brilliant ideas from time to time!

I haven't had time to do the update yet, but I'm looking forward to Cliff's latest improvements & tweaks. :p

Radley said:
Dutch said:
As I said, good ideas get honored by Mr Chase! And bad don't. Don't worry about the opposition. That's what forae are about and what human beings do. Oppose stuff. I do. Just keep pushing ideas and Cliff and only Cliff will decide. If it's doable you have a good chance.

Yes - it is extremely cool that Cliff is actually listening to the users and is so adept at quick implementation, and that he is also a player! My concern with what I've viewed as 'negative or dismissive responses' to user ideas is that people will start to feel squelched and figure it's no longer worth the trouble. Even 'newbies' can have brilliant ideas from time to time!

I haven't had time to do the update yet, but I'm looking forward to Cliff's latest improvements & tweaks. :p

Why do you think there's a version 7? A lot of it was user feedback since the 2.x days...

Radley said:
My concern with what I've viewed as 'negative or dismissive responses' to user ideas is that people will start to feel squelched and figure it's no longer worth the trouble.
Stick around for awhile, and you'll get over that impression. If an idea is worthwhile, it will stand up to close scrutiny.

BrianCarroll said:
Great ! Arrrgh, I can't wait for the standard firmware.
Thanks a lot for the improved Noise Gate Cliff !
Before you get all gushy, you might want to take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7123.

Reaction to the "improved" gate is by no means uniformly positive. If the views in the linked thread turn out to represent a concensus, the next rev of the firmware may roll back the changes in the gate. There's recent precedent for that.

Radley said:
Dutch said:

Well, there are very valid reasons why people may not want a suggestion implemented or may want scrutinize an idea. Some are our but are not limited to:

a) it may change for the worse a feature they already like (it has happened several times)
b) it may take resources away from a feature that another user may want. This may include CPU or available memory.
c) it is already in there (many, many times this is the case)
d) It has the potentiality to screw up the persons presets

Yes, a person could stop doing updates and stick on the one before the implementation, but bug fixes are also implemented in updates as well as other features may want. There was plenty of vigorous opposition to Armin's push for passive amp controls. It still made it in and I am glad. On the other hand, things I have suggested and that have helped me have inconvenienced others. the noise gate used to be applied in to input 2 as well as 1. The was causing issues with my delays trailing on an outboard processor. Cliff removed the gate. The people that were using input 2 with a preamp and only had a standard didn't have a noise gate for their outboard preamp anymore. If more people have been opposed to it, it may not of happened or been implemented in a different way. What works for me, may not work for someone else. What is better for me, may be breaking something for someone else. It is harder to get a feature removed than added (though it has been done on a few occasions) so it is in the individuals best interest to vigorously scrutinize ideas that have the potential to impact the workflow, tone, resources, and future of their tool. That being said, I feel this should be done with respect and consideration.

Jay Mitchell said:
Radley said:
My concern with what I've viewed as 'negative or dismissive responses' to user ideas is that people will start to feel squelched and figure it's no longer worth the trouble.
Stick around for awhile, and you'll get over that impression. If an idea is worthwhile, it will stand up to close scrutiny.

+1

D

Jay Mitchell said:
BrianCarroll said:
Great ! Arrrgh, I can't wait for the standard firmware.
Thanks a lot for the improved Noise Gate Cliff !
Before you get all gushy, you might want to take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7123.

Reaction to the "improved" gate is by no means uniformly positive. If the views in the linked thread turn out to represent a concensus, the next rev of the firmware may roll back the changes in the gate. There's recent precedent for that.

Let's wait for the standard firmware and the standard users before speaking about a consensus.

BrianCarroll said:
Let's wait for the standard firmware and the standard users before speaking about a consensus.
I was specifically cautioning a Standard user who has yet to audition the new gate algorithm. IOW, I was saying precisely what you're saying, with the added caveat that it is already clear that a number of Ultra users are not pleased with the changes.

I've removed 7.15 from the server. After the complaints about the noise gate I totally rewrote the algorithm. It now uses basically the same algorithm as the Gate/Exp block and works much better. I also added an Attack control so you can set it how you like. The downside is it uses around 2% more CPU. If you set the Threshold to minimum the gate is bypassed and CPU usage is near zero.

Back
Top Bottom