Two Acoustics

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I'm going to have two acoustics here in the studio this weekend. Is there a way using (1) Front in - or - (1) rear in 1L AND (2) rear in 1R to feed separate signal paths across the grid, each instrument panned hard left and right respectively?

Alternatively I could use Input/Output 2 but that just seems like a less graceful solution, and will require some cable swapping.

If you could post a screenshot of an AE screen showing this, it would be great!

Thanks!

Yes, it can be done. Run two separate FX chains across the screen. The first and last blocks in chain one are panned hard left, and vice versa for chain two.

Some blocks, such as Amp, allow you to select input as left, right or both. If your chosen first block doesn't have this capability then you can put a mixer block at the front of each chain.

Don't forget to specify in IO Control whether you are using front or rear inputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah there is. You basicly use two parallel volume blocks at the beginning of your grid to seperate the L and R channel into two dedicated rows.

Leave the panning controls of the volume blocks the way they are, but use "channel select" to select either the left or right channel.

This effectively 'converts' a single channel signal into a stereo signal.

I also attached an image showing how a 3-guitar setup can be done.

Attachments

• routing.jpg
    routing.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 66
Yeah there is. You basicly use two parallel volume blocks at the beginning of your grid to seperate the L and R channel into two dedicated rows.

Leave the panning controls of the volume blocks the way they are, but use "channel select" to select either the left or right channel.

This is really cool.
Could you please explain how the signal here is routed because I don't understand the part with the RTN, SND and FXL blocks?

Regards Jesper

This is really cool.
Could you please explain how the signal here is routed because I don't understand the part with the RTN, SND and FXL blocks?

Regards Jesper
SND and RTN are used that way to make it possible to have both input 2 and output 2 connected for other external signal sources. The signal enters at FXL through the Input 2, then SND will route the signal back to RTN which will then enter the FXL block from the left (and therefore go to out 2).
The VOL blocks then seperate the right and left channel into seperate rows.

SND and RTN are used that way to make it possible to have both input 2 and output 2 connected for other external signal sources. The signal enters at FXL through the Input 2, then SND will route the signal back to RTN which will then enter the FXL block from the left (and therefore go to out 2).
The VOL blocks then seperate the right and left channel into seperate rows.

Aha great!
Will all three Guitars be heard at both Output1 and Output 2?

Aha great!
Will all three Guitars be heard at both Output1 and Output 2?
No, they will all have seperate outputs. Guitar 1 uses Output 1 L and R, Guitar two uses Output 2 L and Guitar three uses Output 2 R. All signal chains are completely seperated from each other.

I spent some time in the studio today in prep for a session tomorrow that will have two acoustic players (and a bass, processed separately). I just posted a patch called Two Acoustics to the Axe-Change. It uses Front INPUT and INPUT 1 RIGHT in the rear. The two different acoustics are sent to OUT 1 LEFT and OUT 1 RIGHT respectively, each in MONO (makes it easier to record them separately). There is no messing about with the FXL block or OUT/INPUT 2.

Enjoy!

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Two Acoustics L&R - by plyall

Two acoustics.jpg

I spent some time in the studio today in prep for a session tomorrow that will have two acoustic players (and a bass, processed separately). I just posted a patch called Two Acoustics to the Axe-Change. It uses Front INPUT and INPUT 1 RIGHT in the rear. The two different acoustics are sent to OUT 1 LEFT and OUT 1 RIGHT respectively, each in MONO (makes it easier to record them separately). There is no messing about with the FXL block or OUT/INPUT 2.

Enjoy!

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Two Acoustics L&R - by plyall

View attachment 20447
Why so complicated? You don't need those two mixer blocks, as the vol blocks have a channel select anyway.

I wasn't aware that the vol blocks had those parameters available. In fact in the first version of this patch, I had no vol blocks and just used the mixers. I added the vol blocks as an afterthought for balancing the acoustics. Thanks for the tip - I'll probably edit out the mixers.

Hi Zwiebelchen, Great concept. Any chance you could post a actual preset on axe-exchange? I am a little confused, as there are 4 vol blocks and the send and receive are not connected in the usual manner. Thanks in advance.

Hi Zwiebelchen, Great concept. Any chance you could post a actual preset on axe-exchange? I am a little confused, as there are 4 vol blocks and the send and receive are not connected in the usual manner. Thanks in advance.
You use the first two volume blocks as channel splitters. The other two volume blocks are just for convenience to sum both channels of each row and balance them left or right (converts two channel mono to one channel mono), so that I do not need to balance my last block (as I tend to forget something like that).

You use the first two volume blocks as channel splitters. The other two volume blocks are just for convenience to sum both channels of each row and balance them left or right (converts two channel mono to one channel mono), so that I do not need to balance my last block (as I tend to forget something like that).

You can typically skip those last volume blocks if you rearrange what's there, using the FXL page 1 balance controls instead.

RTN-(2 parallel paths here)-FXL-SND

Back
Top Bottom