Tweaking the axe-fx : Scratchyness?!

Blor007

Inspired
Hi,

First of all I'm a very happy and content axe user! The capabilities and sound is amazing!

I have found however that there is a certain "scratchyness" in alot of the high gain patches and even in normal patches. I think it's around 4k, it's hard to describe but it seems to be characteristic to the Axe fx.

Anyone got any tips?!

Hi,

First of all I'm a very happy and content axe user! The capabilities and sound is amazing!

I have found however that there is a certain "scratchyness" in alot of the high gain patches and even in normal patches. I think it's around 4k, it's hard to describe but it seems to be characteristic to the Axe fx.

Anyone got any tips?!

Yes, I hear it too.
I notice it as the notes of a chords decay, after being strummed once and then let ring.
It happens with my real tube amp (Mesa Mini Rec), but it appears more pronounced in the Axe Fx2 on certain amp models like the Mesa's and Bogners.
I don't hear this effect as pronounced in Firmware version 10.12, which is where I started with my Axe Fx2.
10.12 has a smoother note decay, to my ears.
I'd love to be able to dial it out a bit, because it sounds unnaturally harsh to me.
I don't want to give up Axe Edit and the new amps that come with Firmware 11.x.
I use a Matrix GT1000FX through two Matrix CFR-12 FRFR monitors.

Is it scratchy only on the pick attack 007? I know Jim is hearing it on the decay of chords, but what about you, are you hearing it on the attack or decay? If its attack try turning down either the pick attack, definition, or dynamic presence controls. The scratchiness on the decay of chords is stranger, do you have a gate block or the input gate running on your patch Jim?

I didn't know what you were talking about it until jimnov mentioned the decaying notes thing. I thought it was possibly my speaker but I'm sure it is the same thing you guys are hearing. Honestly I was wondering if this same type of sound is typical with tube amps and this is part of the "realism" of the AxeFX-II. It doesn't really bother me that much but I have noticed it.

Yes, I hear it too.
I notice it as the notes of a chords decay, after being strummed once and then let ring.
It happens with my real tube amp (Mesa Mini Rec), but it appears more pronounced in the Axe Fx2 on certain amp models like the Mesa's and Bogners.
I don't hear this effect as pronounced in Firmware version 10.12, which is where I started with my Axe Fx2.
10.12 has a smoother note decay, to my ears.
I'd love to be able to dial it out a bit, because it sounds unnaturally harsh to me.
I don't want to give up Axe Edit and the new amps that come with Firmware 11.x.
I use a Matrix GT1000FX through two Matrix CFR-12 FRFR monitors.

that is crossover distortion. As you said, it happens in real amps as well and is modeled on the axe-fx. Increase your power tube bias to reduce. Increasing the triode hardness can help too.

Last edited:
that is crossover distortion. As you said, it happens in real amps as well and is modeled on the axe-fx. Increase your power tube bias to reduce. Increasing the triode hardness can help too.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for he tip!
I'll check it out later tonight when I get back home.
Has there been a change in those parameter settings from firmware 10.12 to 11 that you know of?

Jim

I am looking forward to trying this. Thank you!!!

Hi Sean,

Thanks for he tip!
I'll check it out later tonight when I get back home.
Has there been a change in those parameter settings from firmware 10.12 to 11 that you know of?

Jim
Sean,

You are da Man!
Played around with both settings on the Shiver Lead patch and was able to take the right amount of hair off the trails, without losing the bite.
Thank you for your help.

Now I have no idea if what yolu are describing is the same problem I have had the last couple of days, but got it to a more comfortable level by decreasing 'Definition' in the amp block and putting a Graphic EQ before the amp and decreasing the frequencies around 1-4 KHz a couple of DB's.

More specific I mean the scratchyness on the attack of the note. With real amplifiers this attack is more "rounded" and does not hurt as much when you boost it.

It sounds like you would take the side of your plectrum and scratch the strings everytime I hit my guitar. It's a wanted effect and characteristic for guitar/amps but in the AXE-FX it is too harch imo.
I feel like I should multiband compress it with a very narrow Q. Will post sounds later :)

I am convinced though that with those million buttons there are settings that could improve this. I will try your suggestions!!!

Grtz,
Yannick

More specific I mean the scratchyness on the attack of the note. With real amplifiers this attack is more "rounded" and does not hurt as much when you boost it.
Depends on the amp and how it's used. People don't notice it on "real" tube amps because they're played loud, and that pick attack is accepted as "part of the loud." It stands out more at low levels, because you don't expect to hear it at low levels.

I am convinced though that with those million buttons there are settings that could improve this.
There is. It's called—get ready for this—"Pick Attack." :)

It sounds like you would take the side of your plectrum and scratch the strings everytime I hit my guitar. It's a wanted effect and characteristic for guitar/amps but in the AXE-FX it is too harch imo.
I feel like I should multiband compress it with a very narrow Q. Will post sounds later :)

I am convinced though that with those million buttons there are settings that could improve this. I will try your suggestions!!!

Grtz,
Yannick

With some real amplifiers, on some the attack is not very rounded at all. As has been said, that is what the pick attack parameter is for.

Sean,

You are da Man!
Played around with both settings on the Shiver Lead patch and was able to take the right amount of hair off the trails, without losing the bite.
Thank you for your help.

Jimnov, i have the same problem than you.
But i don't arrive to find a good combinaison between this two parameters.I always have this "fizz" just after the note.
What are the value you have find ?
thank you very much.

Fizz on the decay is natural and it's what tube amps do. If you don't like it you can reduce the Triode Hardness but then it won't cut in the mix as well.

Back
Top Bottom