Tweaking for the Atomic CLR

Jay Jordan

Hey y'all

Finally got my much awaited Atomic CLR wedge in today and, unfortunately, am woefully under impressed. Very harsh sounding and not very musical to my ears. Are their any recommended tweaks to the Axe-FX II that will clear up some of the muddiness? I'm using everything from Teles to a Les Paul so I need good middle of the road settings. I wasn't expecting tube amp magic, but hopefully there's some tweaking I can do on the Fractal that will improve the clarity and overall sound.....

suggestions please!

I use the CLR regular cab with both the Axe FX and the Kemper. Both sound great thru it. I have the active (not passive) amp version and had to make sure I optimized the CLR input levels according to the pamphlet they provided.

I had the same issue, in fact thought the damn thing was broken, and I bought it used, so I was SOL if it was...I almost sold it a number of times, so I can feel your pain.
I also have the matrix to 412 option as well as the active CLR, and it sounds killer.
my suggestion is to start fresh, amp and cab block, all factory presets all sound like SHITE to me too through the CLR.
also you might find that your favourite amps might turn out to be less than desirable when compared to some of the other offerings in the Axe.
low cut for the boominess (also turn bass off on the clr) I run mine as a wedge and it changes deepness/boominess depending where it is placed or on different surfaces.
never underestimate the power of cabs, that was the biggest revelation for me.
do some research on eq'ing to get closer to the frequency response of a traditional cab, cut the lows and highs (I go by ear so there's no set rules here)

most of all have fun.

Hey y'all

Finally got my much awaited Atomic CLR wedge in today and, unfortunately, am woefully under impressed. Very harsh sounding and not very musical to my ears. Are their any recommended tweaks to the Axe-FX II that will clear up some of the muddiness? I'm using everything from Teles to a Les Paul so I need good middle of the road settings. I wasn't expecting tube amp magic, but hopefully there's some tweaking I can do on the Fractal that will improve the clarity and overall sound.....

suggestions please!

does music sound ok through it? can you plug in an iPod or run your computer headphone out to it?

how have you set the Input and Master knobs on the CLR?

With the CLRs what you put in you get out.

If you are using patches that were tweaked for other speakers you are probably hearing what they actually sound like.

So I would start from basic amp and cab and tweak from there.

I personally don't find it harsh; I find it very transparent.

thanks, the Firmware update made a 1000% difference. MUCH better sounding. Will those G3 presets work with the Mark II?

Glad things sounds better.

No, I dont think they will work with anything but the XL. : (

But I believe a new bunch of Factory Presets for FW18 (for 2 and XL) will be released very soon. :)

what an not use all those mahvalous presets!

:shock

If the presets work for you....then absolutely use them.

I have found that sometimes the presets are dialed in on a guitar that has a very different tone than mine, which leads to the preset not sounding the same or as good, as it did to the person who dialed it in.

I guess I would say, if the presets sound good to you....excellent.
If they don't, then try starting fresh.

On the Atomic CLR....if it sounds harsh, then it's the preset/guitar. The speakers themselves don't sound harsh unless the signal going into them is harsh.

Good luck!

thanks, the Firmware update made a 1000% difference. MUCH better sounding. Will those G3 presets work with the Mark II?
Play some program music to check for fidelity. It should be crystal clear and anything but harsh.

There is a seperate version for the mkII, and yes they work. Check the 1st post in the update thread for the links and download the right one.

I prefer to mount my CLRs on stands and I always run them in the FF setting, which seems to keep the bass in check. Other than that, it's all about dialing things in for your specific guitar, style etc.

Back
Top Bottom