Turning Axe-Fx off

Tybalt

So I guess my overt awareness of the Axe-Fx as an expensive computer encased in a 2U rackspace begs me to question, do you guys just turn it on and off at will?
I'm unaccustomed to just turning computers off like a lightswitch, is there some part that I'm missing? Is it better to leave it on all the time like a computer (which supposedly is slightly better for it's overall wellbeing)? Curiously, the manual says to unplug the unit from AC mains if you don't use it for awhile... not sure why that would be.
Just typical buyer's remorse based paranoia here, but just curious.

I can't get over your last sentence. Are you saying that you regret buying the Axe-FX?

Back on topic, I do the same that megalowmatt does. No problems.

Just turn it on and off as often as you want. "Regular" computers keep a lot of unsaved data in memory, and this data is lost if you turn the computer off without forcing it to save it. This leads to a lot of bad things: incomplete files, missing files, files that were updated only partially, in severe cases you could even trigger a filesystem bug and lose the entire filesystem or a lot of files at once.

Axe-FX doesn't do any of that. Your changes are saved all at once when you store a preset The most you can lose are your unsaved changes. You will not permanently screw up Axe-FX by turning it off.

I turn it on and off like a coffee pot, but it gets unplugged if a thunderstorm is in the forecast. Also unplugged if I'm gone for a few days, cause I can't predict the weather. Just turning the power switch to off won't cut it if I get a lightning strike.

Lionheart said:
I can't get over your last sentence. Are you saying that you regret buying the Axe-FX?

Back on topic, I do the same that megalowmatt does. No problems.

Well I just received the unit a few days ago, so it's still in the 2 week audition process. 2k makes me a bit nervous for untried technology (like many others, I'm a tried and true tube guy) so I guess I'm micro-analyzing things a bit too much. To be honest, I enjoy the unit immensely however I'm not completely sold on the high gain models as of yet. But the effects are so good I might keep the unit just based on that.
Either way, I want to protect the thing from my possible ignorance (of proper operating procedures) regardless of whether I return it or not.

The power switch on the Axe-FX does just that: It cuts off the main power. It's hardwired to the power cord input on the back.
You can even leave the power switch on and yank the powercord from the wall. The Axe-FX takes care of itself.

I guess Cliff knows about the after-gig stupor that sets in with fatigue, adrenaline and/or use of substances that may influence your abillty to operate heavy machinery...

Cliff is a genius.

chrisallen8888 said:
you aren't just pulling the cable in and out are you? ;)

Oooops. Someone told it was very reliable but I think I will use the switch now :lol: . Jokes aside, the power source of the Axe is very well built, you shouldn't have any problems.

The issue with computers is actually the "initial" power shock/surge to processor, motherboard, etc. The more tiimes a day you turn it on and off the more shocks they experience. I am not saying this applies to the axe fx but you mentioned computers. I try to turn mine (Ultra) on and off as little as possible w/o making it inconvienent for myself.
Have you noticed that when a light bulb blows 99% of the time it's when you turn it on. The power hit. Not quite the same, but the theory behind it is the same-power. Just "my opinion" of course.

PC's are built as cheaply as possible. They are mass produced over seas and are designed to have a maximum 12 month life expectancy. There's no point in over engineering something that you want the consumer to upgrade in 12 months anyway. My understanding of the Axe, based on everything that I've read, is that it is designed and built to last. Turning it on/off shouldn't overstress the unit to the point of causing it to fail I would hope. If Fractal Audio was churning out a new model every 12 months it would be a different story. Never the less proper use should be covered in the user's manual someplace right? I would go with what ever the manual recommends.

thenoodler said:
PC's are built as cheaply as possible. They are mass produced over seas and are designed to have a maximum 12 month life expectancy. There's no point in over engineering something that you want the consumer to upgrade in 12 months anyway. My understanding of the Axe, based on everything that I've read, is that it is designed and built to last. Turning it on/off shouldn't overstress the unit to the point of causing it to fail I would hope. If Fractal Audio was churning out a new model every 12 months it would be a different story. Never the less proper use should be covered in the user's manual someplace right? I would go with what ever the manual recommends.

Never ever said turning it on and off would overstress the Ultra? But taking "extra special care" with my Ultra is something I will always do. But that's just me. Of course one should always read the manuals, that's a given, first thing I did when I got mine a year ago. But, I don't need a manual to tell me how to be careful and do my best to increase the longevity of my favorite piece of musical gear.

Stratman68 said:
thenoodler said:

Never ever said turning it on and off would overstress the Ultra? But taking "extra special care" with my Ultra is something I will always do. But that's just me. Of course one should always read the manuals, that's a given, first thing I did when I got mine a year ago. But, I don't need a manual to tell me how to be careful and do my best to increase the longevity of my favorite piece of musical gear.
I guess what I meant to say was that the recommendation to leave it on which applies to "computers" may or may not apply to the Axe Fx. That's why I suggested checking the manaul. I have seen arguments both for and against leaving electrical equipment including off the shelf PC's on. For one thing it may cause the fan motor to burn out faster if it's left on all the time. I don't think it's universally true that "on" is always better. Some electrical components in the unit may stress more when the device is switched on, other components may stress more by leaving it on when not in use due to heat, etc. It's just one of those things that I would check to see what the manufacturer's recommendation is rather than just going by a general rule that some people have speculated regarding PC's.

Stratman68 said:
The issue with computers is actually the "initial" power shock/surge to processor, motherboard, etc. The more tiimes a day you turn it on and off the more shocks they experience. I am not saying this applies to the axe fx but you mentioned computers. I try to turn mine (Ultra) on and off as little as possible w/o making it inconvienent for myself.
Have you noticed that when a light bulb blows 99% of the time it's when you turn it on. The power hit. Not quite the same, but the theory behind it is the same-power. Just "my opinion" of course.

I'll tell you what. Lets each get an equivalent light bulb. I'll turn mine off when not in use. You leave yours on 24/7. Lets see whos burns out first :D

If you are really that concerned about it I would suggest buying a power conditioner that has a built in soft shut-off device such as the Panamax M5400-EX. It has 10 plug in slots on the back and one in front so you have plenty of outlets for your gear. it is rack-mountable and takes up two slots.

jhuggins said:
ya for only half the price of a axe fx standard

It's all part of protecting your investment.....I'm sure there are less expensive alternatives....I cannot comment on those because I don't own them. I do, however, own the Panamax and I run all my mission critical gear through it. I'm just trying to help...!!

im sorry, after reading my previous post that came off rude, I didn't mean for it to sound that way sometimes its hard to communicate some things via text only.

thenoodler said:
Stratman68 said:
thenoodler said:

I guess what I meant to say was that the recommendation to leave it on which applies to "computers" may or may not apply to the Axe Fx. That's why I suggested checking the manaul. I have seen arguments both for and against leaving electrical equipment including off the shelf PC's on. For one thing it may cause the fan motor to burn out faster if it's left on all the time. I don't think it's universally true that "on" is always better. Some electrical components in the unit may stress more when the device is switched on, other components may stress more by leaving it on when not in use due to heat, etc. It's just one of those things that I would check to see what the manufacturer's recommendation is rather than just going by a general rule that some people have speculated regarding PC's.

I said PC's. Yes, the debate about on and off is unsettled. I agree 100%. But I am on the don't turn it on and off side, that's all. My opinion. I need to be very careful what I say here: At work, (computers and networks) we tell our employees "not" to turn their PC's off. I am sure some companies do and some don't.
I also think the light bulb was an OK analogy-not the best but OK.

Back
Top Bottom