Turbo preset building vs Mark 2 preset building

claxor

Power User
I see that a Turbo can handle "more complicated or bigger" presets, but I'm not sure what defines a preset that is too much for the Mark 2 version.

Can anyone explain or give examples of a preset that the Mark 2 can't handle but the Turbo can handle?

Thanks!

I have complex presets that literally use every in/out on the box. Also, I use all 8 global blocks that are shared across a hundred other presets so that I can change all of them at the same time. The latest beta firmware update finally pushed me over the 80% CPU threshold. That means blocks start turning off to save CPU and I start experiencing weird issues like when using the preset manager. As a result I upgraded last week to the Turbo. My CPU went from 80% to 65%.

I doubt 99% of people will have presets as complex as mine. There are also workarounds for my presets that I could've implemented to get me well below the 80% threshold but that would be so time consuming because I have so many that it made more sense for me to upgrade.

I‘m a long time FM3 user und bought 2 months ago also a Mark II - for me this is now DSP Heaven but i see, there are more advanced users here! 😂

Sounds like the Mark 2 is just fine for presets with one wah, two amp blocks, two cab blocks, two multi-tap delays, one pitch block, two compressors, one reverb, one parametric eq, one filter, one delay, and one enhancer.

That would be considered a moderate preset, and not too complicated for the Mark 2, correct?

I see that a Turbo can handle "more complicated or bigger" presets, but I'm not sure what defines a preset that is too much for the Mark 2 version.

Can anyone explain or give examples of a preset that the Mark 2 can't handle but the Turbo can handle?

Thanks!
There's no typical definition of a complex mk 2 preset that redlines cpu (or on turbo either for that matter - just takes more) - lot's of block combinations can get u there - some blocks that will get you there faster are: fullrez IRs, multiple IR slots used, more complex drive models, hi quality reverbs, hi quality pre options in the cab block, studio compressors, pitch blocks, complex delays with compander on, multiple block instances of any of these.

The good news is that it takes a sh%tload of stuff to max out Axfx3 - including on the non Turbo versions. Turbo gets you a sh%tload + 25% approx.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Mark 2 is just fine for presets with one wah, two amp blocks, two cab blocks, two multi-tap delays, one pitch block, two compressors, one reverb, one parametric eq, one filter, one delay, and one enhancer.

That would be considered a moderate preset, and not too complicated for the Mark 2, correct?
yes you could throw on some other stuff too. I just setup a band with my old MK1, 2 guitarists, and one bass, all on one patch, using 3 ins and outs. They do the scene changes with Ableton live. Granted it's almost maxed but there is a lot of stuff in there.

Not a problem.

Edit: Wait.... 4 IRs, or 8 IRs total? 8 could start to get e little sporty.

Using every in and out block doesn't contribute significantly to the CPU %, does it?
I don't think inputs alone really add much. It's the parallel paths and what you do with those paths using blocks that really add up.

Also, what do the numbers in the blue circles signify? I've never seen that before.
Those are global blocks. Changes to those blocks apply to all presets that have the same block marked as global. I have 100+ presets so this lets me make changes across all of them without having to actually edit each of them.

Select a block and look at the lower left corner of the editor for the global block menu item. You can assign one block type per global block number (there are 8 of them total).

I forgot to add that I may use the IR player block in addition to: presets with one wah, two amp blocks, two cab blocks, two multi-tap delays, one pitch block, two compressors, one reverb, one parametric eq, one filter, one delay, and one enhancer.

Would the IR player block be too much with the two cab blocks in a preset?

As a Mark 2 owner to make the unit run out of DSP you have to do stuff like dual amps/cabs with Fullres IRs. I think it's more than enough for any "normal" fx chains.

To me Turbo is for users with very advanced needs. Even the Mk2 is overkill for a lot of us.

Back
Top Bottom