Tube vs Modeler - last nights experience.

I used a metal zone for a long time into a '81 Kustom Charger single-channel bass amp (1x15). It sounded great! Of course, that was 10 years ago, so I doubt I would be happy with it now.

In 1986-1987 I had a Boss HM2 Heavy Metal pedal, it was quite mean but usable, I assume the Metal Zone was introduced after that ? I'm wondering how different is the metal zone ? BTW I replaced the HM2 by a Rat II, the best drive pedal I ever had, before I stopped using pedals around 1992

The Metal Zone and HM2 (which I had as well) were warring factions back in the day, at least in my neighborhood where we were all wannabe shredders but nobody had been playing long enough to be any good yet and all wanted to be in a band in order to play Judas Priest songs and pickup chics.

Both of those pedals were in a sense like the first pedal you would buy, because you wanted a heavy sound and because you didn't know any better how to get it. Same as why so many of us bought Peavey Bandits as our first amps, we had to start somewhere, price was an issue and if parents were ever involved in buying decisions they always ended up at hole in the wall music stores that only sold Peavey or Gorilla (remember that f&$fd up brand!?!?!

I actually don't have fond memories of either pedal and when my HM2 stopped working I couldn't get to the music store fast enough to figure out a different solution.

The Metal Zone and HM2 (which I had as well) were warring factions back in the day, at least in my neighborhood where we were all wannabe shredders but nobody had been playing long enough to be any good yet and all wanted to be in a band in order to play Judas Priest songs and pickup chics.

Both of those pedals were in a sense like the first pedal you would buy, because you wanted a heavy sound and because you didn't know any better how to get it. Same as why so many of us bought Peavey Bandits as our first amps, we had to start somewhere, price was an issue and if parents were ever involved in buying decisions they always ended up at hole in the wall music stores that only sold Peavey or Gorilla (remember that f&$fd up brand!?!?!

I actually don't have fond memories of either pedal and when my HM2 stopped working I couldn't get to the music store fast enough to figure out a different solution.

HAHA! I totally agree, its just Ive gotten to the point (on certain days) where getting a shitty sound is just as much fun and pleasing as my "normal" tones. YMMV, but that is a given.
In regards to the HM-2, it has a quality that is VERY hard to reproduce. I can get DAMN close, but its always way to polished. Like a Photoshopped turd. :lol

Just going back to the guy for a moment. Is it possible he didn't know his set up sounded crappy with all the highs because of hearing loss? Maybe he'd lost his high frequency sensitivity because he hadn't taken care of his hearing, over the years, so to him it sounds fine. I don't know the guy. I was just wondering if that could be the case, more than him just being into crappy tone.

Wow, I did not know the Metal Zones reputation, but ignorance is bliss I guess. It is my go-to tool on any modeller to give my lead tone a character, all it takes is to tame the highs. The best sound I have ever gotten out of the Axe II is the Metal Zone sim into the Dizzy 4 into Ownhammer V2 IRs. If you want to listen, skip the intro and outro mistakes and go to around 2:08-2:30, then I kick it in again at 3:00-3:25.

Here I am to Worship by Dan Ove Skaalerud on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

That sounded amazing. I may have to stop chuckling to myself every time I scroll past the Metal Zone and actually give it a shot... I always thought it was in there just as a joke.

Here's my Metal Zone story. Got a free one with an amp I bought back in the early '90s. Hated it. Its job for the next 7 years was as a (and I'm not kidding) doorstop. fast-forward about five more years and I've got kids. One of 'em comes home with chickenpox. Guess who has never had chickenpox.

Yeah, so I'm off work for the next three to four WEEKS because I look like the walking plague. Bored out of my mind - I start playing with my dirt boxes like they're blocks. Chaining them into different configurations - this way and that. I spy the HM holding the door open. Sure why not. It joins the pedal train. Mixing this and that. And what do you know. I found that a old Marshall Blues Breaker pedal into a TS9 into a Heavy Metal Zone sounds EXACTLY like ZZ Tops Afterburner album. Dead stinkin' ringer. Played it for days - couldn't believe what I found. Now you know what you can do with your HMZ pedal!

Back
Top Bottom