Tube amp head into Fryette Power Station PS2A into Axe-Fx III

user10001axefx

Hello--

I have a Two-Rock amp head going into a Fryette Power Station PS-2A. I'd like to route the Two-Rock into the Fryette into the Axe III, and use the Axe's effects and cab sims. Also, to be clear, I'm looking to keep things digital after that point, since the Axe III is going into my DAW.

Would appreciate any advice on how to set this up. I've been able to find bits and pieces of the answers on the forum, but was hoping I might get a consolidated summary, so I don't mess anything up. Specifically...

1. Where do I plug into and out of in the Fryette?
2. What settings do I use on the PS-2A to get the most unaffected tone? As an aside, I also have an Ox Box -- would the Ox be better in terms of keeping the amp's tone unaffected?
3. Where do I plug the PS-2A into on the Axe?
4. Where should my real amp (via the Fryette) be within in the preset? Should it go in the effects return?
5. What blocks do I need to omit/include in the Axe preset and where should they go?
6. Once the real amp is in the preset's signal chain, I assume I can treat everything else like I would any other preset, is that correct?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Search for a Leon Todd YT video showing the 4CM with the AXE 3. This will help you get the results you are looking for. I did the 4CM with my tube heads and the AXE 3 with a Boss WAZA and it worked great. Found that with the AXE 3 in the chain, the Boss WAZA was not necessary as in the AXE 3 you could control your real amps volume by adjusting the output level of the AXE 3 which would allow for complete whisper quiet levels when needed. In the end, I found that the AXE 3 was spot on when A/Bing my real tube amps with the amp sims and thus now all my real amp heads and cabinets have been sold. Best tone I have had in decades of playing. AXE 3 is amazing especially with the latest firmware!

Search for a Leon Todd YT video showing the 4CM with the AXE 3. This will help you get the results you are looking for. I did the 4CM with my tube heads and the AXE 3 with a Boss WAZA and it worked great. Found that with the AXE 3 in the chain, the Boss WAZA was not necessary as in the AXE 3 you could control your real amps volume by adjusting the output level of the AXE 3 which would allow for complete whisper quiet levels when needed. In the end, I found that the AXE 3 was spot on when A/Bing my real tube amps with the amp sims and thus now all my real amp heads and cabinets have been sold. Best tone I have had in decades of playing. AXE 3 is amazing especially with the latest firmware!

Thank you. That video was helpful.

However, one thing that's different in my setup -- and I've updated my original post to reflect this -- is that I'm going from the Axe III into a DAW.

But I think I get the idea, so I'll try to summarize my understanding. (Please correct me if it's incorrect):
  1. To use the Axe's pre-amp-block effects, I would go out from the Axe III (e.g., output 3) into the instrument jack of the Two-Rock amp.
  2. I would then connect the Two-Rock's speaker out to the Fryette's AMP IN jack.
  3. The Fryette's LINE OUT would connect to an input in the Axe III.
  4. And then from that point the Axe input that I chose would basically function like any other amp block
Does that look right?

Thank you. That video was helpful.

However, one thing that's different in my setup -- and I've updated my original post to reflect this -- is that I'm going from the Axe III into a DAW.

But I think I get the idea, so I'll try to summarize my understanding. (Please correct me if it's incorrect):
  1. To use the Axe's pre-amp-block effects, I would go out from the Axe III (e.g., output 3) into the instrument jack of the Two-Rock amp.
  2. I would then connect the Two-Rock's speaker out to the Fryette's AMP IN jack.
  3. The Fryette's LINE OUT would connect to an input in the Axe III.
  4. And then from that point the Axe input that I chose would basically function like any other amp block
Does that look right?
Yes the basic routing is guitar to amp to amp in on the PS and use the line out into a different Axe FX input. This is how I mainly use my Axe FX but I use real pedals in front so I don’t use the modified 4CM setup.

Hello--

I have a Two-Rock amp head going into a Fryette Power Station PS-2A. I'd like to route the Two-Rock into the Fryette into the Axe III, and use the Axe's effects and cab sims. Also, to be clear, I'm looking to keep things digital after that point, since the Axe III is going into my DAW.

Would appreciate any advice on how to set this up. I've been able to find bits and pieces of the answers on the forum, but was hoping I might get a consolidated summary, so I don't mess anything up. Specifically...

1. Where do I plug into and out of in the Fryette?
2. What settings do I use on the PS-2A to get the most unaffected tone? As an aside, I also have an Ox Box -- would the Ox be better in terms of keeping the amp's tone unaffected?
3. Where do I plug the PS-2A into on the Axe?
4. Where should my real amp (via the Fryette) be within in the preset? Should it go in the effects return?
5. What blocks do I need to omit/include in the Axe preset and where should they go?
6. Once the real amp is in the preset's signal chain, I assume I can treat everything else like I would any other preset, is that correct?

Thank you.
You don't need the 4CM. Just take a line out from the PS2A and run it to an input on the Axe III. Set up a patch where you have the blocks go INPUT-CAB-FX-OUTPUT and record in your Daw. Simple as that.

You don't need the 4CM. Just take a line out from the PS2A and run it to an input on the Axe III. Set up a patch where you have the blocks go INPUT-CAB-FX-OUTPUT and record in your Daw. Simple as that.
Yeah it's not quite 4CM but you can do 2CM if you want to put any effects before running an output to the Amp's input. Then use the line out back into the Axe FX and apply your cab/IR and effects.

So, I've managed to get the 4CM setup working. Thank you everyone for your help.

My current setup has the the 4CM configuration routed to my amp. My amp's SPEAKER OUT is routed to the Ox Box's AMP IN.

I want to use the Axe's cab sims, so I'm using the Ox Box strictly as a load box. With the Ox Box's cab sims turned off, I'm running the Ox Box's LINE OUT to the Axe's INPUT 3. INPUT 3 is routed to the Axe's AES OUT.

Now it seems I have 3 places to put FX.

Route 1: AXE'S INPUT 1 --> OUTPUT 3 for the pre-amp FX
Route 2: AXE'S INPUT 4 --> OUTPUT 4 for the FX loop in the 4CM configuration
Route 3: AXE'S INPUT 3 --> AES OUT for the cab sim and post-cab FX

In this setup, it feels like there is some redundancy, because I have Route 2 which is the FX loop between the amp's preamp and power amp, but I also have Route 3 which has a place for FX between the cab sim and Axe output (which is how all the other factory presets are set up).

Does this setup look "correct"?

Will certain FX generally work better in Route 2 (between preamp and power amp) versus Route 3 (after cab)?

Thank you.

I think that being correct largely depends on what sounds right to you. Those routes give you a lot of flexibility.

Take, for instance, a delay. Delays, especially how the repeats interact (or don't) with the amp, can sound different depending on where they are placed. Before the amp (route 1), especially if you're using the natural drive of the amp, the repeats can clean up as they fade away because the level goes down compared to the input signal (guitar, etc.). In the loop (route 2), the repeats will be effected by the speaker block, especially if/when you use high/low cuts or select a speaker that doesn't "reproduce" highs or lows as well as midrange. After the speaker (route 3) may have the clearest sounding repeats, depending on which delay you're using and its settings. This is where delays added after a recording or at the board in live situations would be added.

To simplify...
Route 1 will interact with the amp
Route 2 will interact with the speaker
Route 3 will interact with the final output (like studio effects).

Another example would be a compressor, specifically the Studio types. Before the amp (1), that's more like a pedal and will change the feel and response of the amp. After the speaker (3), and to a lesser degree after the amp (2), it will limit or compress the level in the mix, but not so much how the amp responds.

Bottom line, if it sounds good to you, it IS good!

I think that being correct largely depends on what sounds right to you. Those routes give you a lot of flexibility.

Take, for instance, a delay. Delays, especially how the repeats interact (or don't) with the amp, can sound different depending on where they are placed. Before the amp (route 1), especially if you're using the natural drive of the amp, the repeats can clean up as they fade away because the level goes down compared to the input signal (guitar, etc.). In the loop (route 2), the repeats will be effected by the speaker block, especially if/when you use high/low cuts or select a speaker that doesn't "reproduce" highs or lows as well as midrange. After the speaker (route 3) may have the clearest sounding repeats, depending on which delay you're using and its settings. This is where delays added after a recording or at the board in live situations would be added.

To simplify...
Route 1 will interact with the amp
Route 2 will interact with the speaker
Route 3 will interact with the final output (like studio effects).

Another example would be a compressor, specifically the Studio types. Before the amp (1), that's more like a pedal and will change the feel and response of the amp. After the speaker (3), and to a lesser degree after the amp (2), it will limit or compress the level in the mix, but not so much how the amp responds.

Bottom line, if it sounds good to you, it IS good!
Thank you much for a great breakdown.

You're welcome, hope it helps!

The more you're driving the power amp, the more useful route 2 may become, because once the power amp starts distorting, the more difference there will be between routes 2 and 3.

Back
Top Bottom