MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,

My son is looking for a tube amp.
Something simple yet versatile.
Good cleans, crunch and warm leads.
Must have a lead boost function.
Can you offer any suggestions.

He likes the Axe-fx but can't spend enough to get the Axe-Fx, a midi pedal and the Atomics.
So for now a tube amp would seem like the best option.

+1 on the peavey th evh brand is also coming up with a 50 watt 5150iii version with matching 2x12 more expensive than the 6505 but better cleans and mid gain crunch. U would also chech out the Blackstar combos. If you wanted to go all out you could get a mark v combo

No combo's.
Head + 4x12".
Sorry, I should have been more complete.
At least 3 channels, preferably 4 with lead boost and if possible Midi switcheable.

Yep ... Blackstar stuff is pretty good .... head and 4x12 or you could get a combo and add a 2x12 extension cab ... best of both worlds, combo only for home practice or jamming with friends and then stick it on top of the extension cab and whack it up for full band work.

If you're on a real tight budget, the Bugera 333XL covers alot of ground. I've got one I purchased used for $450 (head only). Some bash them, but they're a good bang for the buck.

Budget would really help. If the AFX plus bits are too much thats fine, but by how much.

The H&K Tri-amp is 3 channels with 2 modes per channel. Not sure about the lead boost - think so but not sure. It isnt midi switchable stock but can have a midi module fitted.

The Fryette Sig X is a beast - 3 channels. Its not midi switchable though.

Marshall JVM is an option. Not keen personally but a know a lot who like them. 4 Channels - 3 modes per channel all F/Sable. Again not sure about the lead boost.

Koch Multitone may be worth a look. No midi but 3 channels and should be cheaper than the others.

Anyone have experience with the ENGL's?
Personally I think the Invader or SE would fit the bill.

ENGL invader is amazing. So loud and yet clear. Pretty pricey though at 3k for the 150 watt head us dollars. SE is used by necrophagist so that's a win situation by me as well. Price range might be around the diezel range for that one though but I think I'm wrong. What about a Mesa Triple rectifier with a matching cab? That shouldn't run over 2k us dollars unless it costs more for non US buyers. Oh wait I don't think It's MIDI switchable... what about the V3 series from Carvin? I've heard good things about them. That one I think is MIDI switchable

ENGL invader is amazing. So loud and yet clear. Pretty pricey though at 3k for the 150 watt head us dollars. SE is used by necrophagist so that's a win situation by me as well. Price range might be around the diezel range for that one though but I think I'm wrong. What about a Mesa Triple rectifier with a matching cab? That shouldn't run over 2k us dollars unless it costs more for non US buyers. Oh wait I don't think It's MIDI switchable... what about the V3 series from Carvin? I've heard good things about them. That one I think is MIDI switchable

For that kind of cash why not go Axe? He could put together a good Standard rig for close to that money.

He's thinking about that as well.
He has a midi pedal (Mitigator) could buy my Axe-FX Ultra (for a sweet low price) and get an Atomic.
But he wants to take a look at it first because he wants something simple.
Although the Axe-FX has a learning curve, I could certainly help him with that and there are allready some ready to go presets I programmed for almost any situation.

Back
Top Bottom