Trying Hard To Get This Heavy Tone

If I am doing really tight percussive type playing, I would get this static coming in that the gate cant catch.
Then the static is coming in along with the guitar signal. The Input gate just opens and closes with signal, I'm pretty sure it doesn't process the signal. Any dimmer switches, fluorescent lights, routers, monitors in the general area? Bad cable?

Then the static is coming in along with the guitar signal. The Input gate just opens and closes with signal, I'm pretty sure it doesn't process the signal. Any dimmer switches, fluorescent lights, routers, monitors in the general area? Bad cable?
The Noise Reducer and Intelligent types do filter for AC power line noise...

But aside from that, they don't.

I’ve found using no bright switches and keeping my input level as close to 100 as possible helps minimize the hiss.

lol yeah I haven't tried a noise gate in front yet, but I do have a Fortin zuul+ pedal. I've heard amazing things about the axe-fx 3 noise gate so never really considered running anything else. Could just take alot of experimenting to get it just right. Are there any benefits to using the gate block vs the built in get in the input block?

Are there any benefits to using the gate block vs the built in get in the input block?
Placement ;)

The Input Gate is triggering and gating the guitar signal.

I think a lot of the heavy gain users place a Gate block after the Amp or Cab for tighter results.

I'm not a high gain player so I don't have practical experience with that but it's what I've read/seen here.

So I reverted the input gain settings back to 1, I cant remember if that was the default of not but I think I lowered it because of my inability to get the gate to be as tight as I want it to. So that basically solved the issue but brought me back to my original issue. If I am doing really tight percussive type playing, I would get this static coming in that the gate cant catch. I am using the intelligent gate on input 1 and have the threshold and ratio setting both at about 1-2 o'clock give or take. I've tried multiple gates but it seems to be overkill. I have the gain on the amp block set at 5 and input trim at 1 and this is on the 5150 block letter btw. Idk what to do about the static feedback that creeps in but the power in my apartment is super clean, everything is going into a furman that reads around 125. The using two PRS guitars to test this and one has a duncan distortion and the other is a prs metal pickup.

So setting the input gain back to 1 makes it sound good again but for tight type playing, I cant get the gate to catch everything.
Put a gate block after the amp, but in the gate settings change the sidechain to input. This will put the gate after the amp to cut the noise, but use the input of your guitar to trigger it.

Also, it can be helpful to use the high cut in the amp input EQ block. Cut the highs. Set it to like 7k to 10k. Wherever it cuts the high frequency noise, but doesn't darken the tone too much.

Oh, another weird suggestion. I never had this issue on my Axe II, but I notice it on my FM3. When I use the Intelligent type on the input gate I get this weird digitizing type noise when I lay my hand on my bridge. Almost like it is trying to gate, but doesn't quite work and gives these weird digitizing noises instead. Anyways, just switching the gate type to Classic seems to work for this weird issue.

Oh, another weird suggestion. I never had this issue on my Axe II, but I notice it on my FM3. When I use the Intelligent type on the input gate I get this weird digitizing type noise when I lay my hand on my bridge. Almost like it is trying to gate, but doesn't quite work and gives these weird digitizing noises instead. Anyways, just switching the gate type to Classic seems to work for this weird issue.
Try adjusting the threshold? The new generation of hardware has a different base threshold than on the II, by about 20dB I think...

Try adjusting the threshold? The new generation of hardware has a different base threshold than on the II, by about 20dB I think...
It doesn't matter. The Intelligent type in the input block gives off weird digitizing noises regardless. It happens when I put my hand on my strings above my bridge pickup. Multiple guitars. It's not super noticable, but once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

It doesn't matter. The Intelligent type in the input block gives off weird digitizing noises regardless. It happens when I put my hand on my strings above my bridge pickup. Multiple guitars. It's not super noticable, but once you hear it, you can't unhear it.
I seem to recall more than one thread about that issue... I thought there was a solution.

I seem to recall more than one thread about that issue... I thought there was a solution.
Interesting. I have never seen it mentioned. It was just something I noticed a few weeks ago. I found using Classic makes it work better. I will have to search for conversations about it.

Interesting. I have never seen it mentioned. It was just something I noticed a few weeks ago. I found using Classic makes it work better. I will have to search for conversations about it.
I spent a few minutes and the most I could find was a post from Cliff saying to reduce the threshold and/or ratio.

But I bet if you posted a thread others would point you in the right direction... I'm not a Gate user myself ;)

I spent a few minutes and the most I could find was a post from Cliff saying to reduce the threshold and/or ratio.

But I bet if you posted a thread others would point you in the right direction... I'm not a Gate user myself ;)
I have messed with threshold, but not ratio. I will have to try it next time I play. Honestly, I am not a huge gate user either. I use super high gain, but have always had good enough technique in muting I don't have many noise issues. I generally just use a bit at the input to cut idle hiss. Years of doing the same on tube amps, lol.

Weird. I didn't know I stumbled into such a discussed thing, lol. It is definitely the Intelligent Algorithm in the FM3 that is causing the weird digitizing noise on the tails of notes. I have never heard it anywhere else, and I have way too much gear. I thought maybe it had to do with having the USB connected, or being too close to the computer, or something. The only time I have ever heard anything remotely comparable was from a strange ground hum that was caused by USB to different units. I will definitely have to play with this more.

Weird. I didn't know I stumbled into such a discussed thing, lol. It is definitely the Intelligent Algorithm in the FM3 that is causing the weird digitizing noise on the tails of notes. I have never heard it anywhere else, and I have way too much gear. I thought maybe it had to do with having the USB connected, or being too close to the computer, or something. The only time I have ever heard anything remotely comparable was from a strange ground hum that was caused by USB to different units. I will definitely have to play with this more.
I have this problem with the intelligent gate as well.

Back
Top Bottom