Trouble with my high end on a live context !

what do you mean by -3db for low end how do you adjust that?and the mic distancing?i see where in the cab room and air it has mic spacing its in %?
In global setting you can EQ your output 1,2&3
You turn down 3db low frequencies 👍

Mic distancing is in the Cab section. I don’t touch the mic spacing

Adjusting your patches at gig volume is key, but the other thing I've run into a TON is that sound guys almost always hype the heck out of the high mids on stage monitor bus to help vocals stand out, since that is their main function traditionally.
I've played many festivals where I ask the sound guy to make sure my tone is flat EQ, and it sounds like crushed glass. They think you are referring to your guitar channel, but it's the monitor bus that is the culprit. Doesn't matter if the guitar channel is flat when your eating a fire-hose of 1k-2.5k because of the monitor EQ.

If you can bring your own monitor onto stage that takes a direct out from the Fractal unit, you're good. Otherwise, you have to advocate for them to flatten the monitor bus EQ which they may do, it depends on the needs of everyone else who's monitoring themselves via the same bus.

It's a bit of a mess if you're in a large group - I'm lucky in that I play in a trio and it's my name on the gig, so I can usually get what I want, but it can take some negotiating and explanation.

Even big gigs where you'd expect it wouldnt be an issue it often is I played a major theater with around 3,000 capacity as the opener and the monitor EQ was so hyped I ended up hooking up my own wedge on stage as a direct out! Thank God I had it with me or I'd have had to listen to a torrent of icepicks all night.
Thanks for this ! I tried your preset by the way it’s very cool nice job ! 🤘

Absolutely. I'd share mine except it uses a commercial IR.
You didn't address the low end, but I strongly recommend leaving the DXR10 flat and using your Fractal to set the cuts. I think I cut at ~100 Hz, 6 db/octave.
Where did you buy commercial IR ?

Having worked FoH for many years (recently stopped to focus on other things), it saddens me to say that most FoH guys could care less about your monitor feed. Best to feed your DXR's straight from the Fractal or otherwise under your control. In fact, we bring our own mixer for our IEM and or monitor feeds these days. Wish we could just do it all, but most venues frown on that.
Exact. Ideally, find a monitor with 2 inputs, one directly from your fractal and the other from the console monitoring output for getting your fellow band memberd. Best of 2 worlds. A CLR for example can handle 2 inputs but I guess they're not the only ones.

Adjusting your patches at gig volume is key, but the other thing I've run into a TON is that sound guys almost always hype the heck out of the high mids on stage monitor bus to help vocals stand out, since that is their main function traditionally.
I've played many festivals where I ask the sound guy to make sure my tone is flat EQ, and it sounds like crushed glass. They think you are referring to your guitar channel, but it's the monitor bus that is the culprit. Doesn't matter if the guitar channel is flat when your eating a fire-hose of 1k-2.5k because of the monitor EQ.

If you can bring your own monitor onto stage that takes a direct out from the Fractal unit, you're good. Otherwise, you have to advocate for them to flatten the monitor bus EQ which they may do, it depends on the needs of everyone else who's monitoring themselves via the same bus.

It's a bit of a mess if you're in a large group - I'm lucky in that I play in a trio and it's my name on the gig, so I can usually get what I want, but it can take some negotiating and explanation.

Even big gigs where you'd expect it wouldnt be an issue it often is I played a major theater with around 3,000 capacity as the opener and the monitor EQ was so hyped I ended up hooking up my own wedge on stage as a direct out! Thank God I had it with me or I'd have had to listen to a torrent of icepicks all night.
Thanks for this explanation, never thought about this cause although it's quite evident.

Exact. Ideally, find a monitor with 2 inputs, one directly from your fractal and the other from the console monitoring output for getting your fellow band memberd. Best of 2 worlds. A CLR for example can handle 2 inputs but I guess they're not the only ones.

His DXR will take three inputs, just not all XLR.

Where did you buy commercial IR ?
York Audio, but there are many. And there are enough good included IRs and free IRs, that this is not necessary in my opinion. Especially since you have the FM9 with dynacab software. I'm just hoping it comes to my FM3 too.

Hey @Rockuronium looking at your method here. It really is amazing what that does to the tone.
Since I started using Fractal the high end on a Plexi has always been way to bright for me.
And when I start changing the bright cap, presence etc, I loose some of the magical tone.

The other day I pulled a factory preset. Before I played a note, I did the cut @ 3.5k as you mention below.
I was impressed with how well that worked.

I am curious if you plan to use that same method with Dyna-Cabs if/when the get to the FM9?
Thanks for that tip!

Forget everything you've read about appropriate 5-10kHz cab-block frequency cuts. Instead, try bringing it down to 2-3.5k with a 6 db/octave slope to preserve some top end. If you're doing this at home volumes, it probably sounds like your amp is under water. That will change when you bring up your volume in a band setting. Trust me.

Hey @Rockuronium looking at your method here. It really is amazing what that does to the tone.
Since I started using Fractal the high end on a Plexi has always been way to bright for me.
And when I start changing the bright cap, presence etc, I loose some of the magical tone.

The other day I pulled a factory preset. Before I played a note, I did the cut @ 3.5k as you mention below.
I was impressed with how well that worked.

I am curious if you plan to use that same method with Dyna-Cabs if/when the get to the FM9?
Thanks for that tip!
I find I often need to cut even lower than 3.5 when playing at live volume since a PA disperses those high frequencies more more evenly than a guitar cab.

No idea about the DynaCabs. I only have an FM3, unfortunately.

I find I often need to cut even lower than 3.5 when playing at live volume since a PA disperses those high frequencies more more evenly than a guitar cab.

No idea about the DynaCabs. I only have an FM3, unfortunately.
Even with the Fm9 i cut high freq around 2.5 for high volume on stage 👌

i started playing with around with useing the global output 2 thats what i run as monitor on stage.tsking highs out there does all the presets at once.or thinking about the leon todd way put PEQ block at the end of chain bring down the highs there with big slope

Back
Top Bottom