Tremendous fun with learning sax lines on guitar

Watched the trailer vid. Nice stuff.

I'm not big on straight ahead so I was glad that was only a minor part of the lesson.

Its worth getting the free month membership for this and the Tim Miller course, also some good Larry Carlton , Robben Ford and Pat Martino stuff on there.

My guitar teacher that I've had for years has told me on more than one occasion to think like a brass player, let the guitar breathe, take pauses like a brass player would when taking a breath when soloing and it can make your soloing more "human" like. This was great advise and I try to think about that every time I play. I will need to check this out when I get home. Thanks yek.

I always loved Tom Verlaine's playing on Television's Marquee Moon album, and he's said as much that his approach to playing guitar was trying to sound like Coltrane's sax… You can totally hear that same strand in Sonic Youth for sure too. There's so many styles of music and approaches to guitar that can benefit from having an ear toward what saxophone players do.

I've always loved the sound of a sax and I remember listening a lot to sax lines after I heard Robben Ford say that he listened more to sax players than to guitar players for inspiration.
I got why he did that but I think that what little I took with me from all the jazz sax listening is letting the guitar breathe a little like Jimmytwotimes mentioned in post #7 and being confident in lingering on a few simple notes for a long time - and building melody lines and structure from that.

Last edited:
Disappointing thread if you're a bit dyslexic

I hung with a sax/clarinet/guitarist for a while and his guitar riffs and lines were always that bit 'different' which I put down to his saxual preferences so to speak.

I was getting some nice sax tones while playing yesterday. Always had those sounds in my head because my dad played sax (also clarinet with Les Brown). Found a pattern on guitar that seems similar to the sax keys fingering progression. Also the attack of the individual notes is important and can be studied and imitated.

Back
Top Bottom