transferring ultra patches to the axe fx II

jb70

Experienced
i'm not sure if this has been asked but how are you guys planning on transferring your ultra/standard patches to the axe fx II? is there an easier way to do it rather than writing down every parameter in every patch and then manually copying them once you get your II?

this has been discussed before.. there was an entire thread on the subject, the bottom line of which was Scott Peterson saying that while you could.. they are different animals and one could use the existing presets as a model. Copying them parameter by parameter will not work as some blocks have had parameters added/removed and the G2 amp modeling approach differs....

this has been discussed before.. there was an entire thread on the subject, the bottom line of which was Scott Peterson saying that while you could.. they are different animals and one could use the existing presets as a model. Copying them parameter by parameter will not work as some blocks have had parameters added/removed and the G2 amp modeling approach differs....

ah, so we basically will have to reconstruct everything from scratch

That sounds worse than it really is. Yes, you'll have to dial up the patches from scratch buy you've got Axe-Edit to help out with a very accessible UI and way better global block support this time around to allow you to share all kinds of blocks between patches.

Plus, by all accounts, dialing in amp sounds is easier than ever.

As iaresse stated, its not all that bad! A software conversion program (asked about in another thread) would be a challenge as there are new parameters in Axe2 that don't exist in the Std/Ultra. Some have also been removed. Someone would have to decide if parameter A in the Std/Ultra = parameter B (and what value) in the Axe2, and do those values/scales even match.
For example take PAN: It's now -100/+100%. Used to be -50/+50%. So is the old -25% the same as -50% on the Axe2? Mathmagically, yes. Same sort of thing with Presence (in amp block). Used to be a negative value was available. No more.. Presence now has only positive values. So what does a preset with an amp model whose "presence" has a value in the range of -10 -> 0 equate to in the Axe2. IDK!

I think that's something that should be decided by your ears, so yes, you may have to reprogram your presets.

If the original Ultra patches don't transfer to the Axe 2, the only way to avoid writing down manually all the parameters of your favourite patches, (presuming that you would no longer have the Ultra at hand) is to use "Preview" (if you use a Mac) and take a snapshot of the patch in Axe Fx Editor. On a PC, i don't know if it has that function. If anyone has any better suggestion, then I'm all ears.

Last edited:
If the original Ultra patches don't transfer to the Axe 2, the only way to avoid writing down manually all the parameters of your favourite patches, (presuming that you would no longer have the Ultra at hand) is to use "Preview" (if you use a Mac) and take a snapshot of the patch in Axe Fx Editor. On a PC, i don't know if it has that function. If anyone has any better suggestion, then I'm all ears.

You don't need to take screen shots. Just save the banks from the Ultra and then load them in to Axe-Edit to view the settings for any patch. Axe-Edit can work with a live Axe-Fx unit or it can work with bank files on disk.

You don't need to take screen shots. Just save the banks from the Ultra and then load them in to Axe-Edit to view the settings for any patch. Axe-Edit can work with a live Axe-Fx unit or it can work with bank files on disk.

Exactly.

Thanks and appreciated. However, do I understand that the Ultra patches will not load whatsoever into the Axe 2 via Axe Editor?

You can install and run TWO copies of AxeEdit. Configure one for the Axe2, the other for your Std/Ultra config.
Use the 2nd to look at your backup/bank files, and then side-by-side both so it's easy to "copy" parameters over to the Axe2 version.

At first this was a huge disappointment to me - I really had everything totally dialed up in the ultra exactly the way I wanted.

But then I realized, quickly, that the "2" is a totally different machine inside. It's really like taking all your parameters (which is really all a preset is after all) for a tuned engine from a race car, then moving it to the next generation machine - which though appears to be the same - is totally different beast under the hood. Your parameter 'set' just doesn't work for the new engine. Take all your performance settings from one show and try to duplicate them on a different newer machine indeed means you have to reconstruct the framework and dial in; but as noted above, you can use Axe-Edit to great advantage here by using it as a rough guide.

Once you have roughed in the framework, then you just dial up the blocks, attach controllers; and spend some time constructing the details. You'll find that the new user friendly knobs and 'quick start' settings in different effects blocks (ie. tape delay, etc in the delay block) greatly speed up the process.

Yes, it is a process. But this is a totally different machine.

I will say, it is worth the effort and the process is greatly streamlined as you work. Workflow is much more efficient and finding the sweet spots is now much less complicated, IMHO. YMMV.

You can install and run TWO copies of AxeEdit. Configure one for the Axe2, the other for your Std/Ultra config.
Use the 2nd to look at your backup/bank files, and then side-by-side both so it's easy to "copy" parameters over to the Axe2 version.

I just discovered you don't even need to install 2 copies. You can fire up Axe-Edit, set its MIDI IN/OUT to "NONE" set the config to ULTRA, open or import saved Ultra/Std. files, then run another instance actively connected to the Axe-Fx II at the same time. In fact, you can also open ultra presets on the Axe-Edit version connected to the II, which seems to place and connect the blocks-- but all knobs/params are "zeroed". I wouldn't really recommend the latter though, until Cliff or Daimen could comment on what's going on inside when this happens.

I just discovered you don't even need to install 2 copies. You can fire up Axe-Edit, set its MIDI IN/OUT to "NONE" set the config to ULTRA, open or import saved Ultra/Std. files, then run another instance actively connected to the Axe-Fx II at the same time. In fact, you can also open ultra presets on the Axe-Edit version connected to the II, which seems to place and connect the blocks-- but all knobs/params are "zeroed". I wouldn't really recommend the latter though, until Cliff or Daimen could comment on what's going on inside when this happens.

Very informative and useful. Many thanks :)

So, patches aside, what about effects blocks? I suspect some effects blocks have been reworked for AXE FX II, but some may be the same...does that mean I could load a Wah effect from Ultra into Axe-Edit editor and then save into Axe FX II, or not?

So, patches aside, what about effects blocks? I suspect some effects blocks have been reworked for AXE FX II, but some may be the same...does that mean I could load a Wah effect from Ultra into Axe-Edit editor and then save into Axe FX II, or not?
No can do.. they are not compatible that way - .syx files are twice the size and different format.
If you saved a WAH preset (right-click on block, Setting, Save Settings) under the Ultra profile, then under the Axe-II profile in AxeEdit, it would not show. A) because its physically stored in a separate workspace, and B) it's in a different format.
You could have both profiles pointing to the same workspace (not advisable IMHO), but B) would cause the Ultra WAH to not show in the Axe-II Settings, Recall list. Make sense ?

Last edited:
FWIW...my two cents:

Using two instances of Axe-Edit, I'm recreating all of my Ultra patches in anticipation of the II, and it IS that bad. In fact, it is a major pain in the ass that is consuming a tremendous amount of time. Just setting up the grids and routing, setting each block to the proper type, setting delay times, feedback amounts, chorus/phase/flange parameters, reverb parameters, null filters for boost, effects mix levels, cc assignments, pitch shifter parameters, ad infinitum, is taking a very long time. Although copying these parameter values should get them in the ballpark, many will have to be fine tuned. The amp, drive, cab, and eq blocks will have to be built from scratch. I have to sift through all of the new IRs to replace the ones I use in the Ultra that are not included in the II, or capture them from the Ultra.

The "It really is quick to set up a great tone on the II" talk just isn't proving true for me. It goes far beyond setting up a great raw tone. I have a huge number of presets, each recreating the tone and effects of specific songs, using lots of effects and cc control. This is a freaking nightmare. I'm saving the new presets to a bank file that I'm not even sure will load once I get the II. From start to finish, the conversion is going to be a HUGE task. I understand why a protocol translator is not being developed, and I'm not asking for one. I know that I'm putting this work on myself rather than just use a few go-to presets for all of the songs. I just hate to suffer without everyone else knowing about it. :D

Back
Top Bottom