Tourist in Austin

SJB

Inspired
Hi Fractalites (Fractalians?):
I’m gonna be in Austin next weekend with free time for the first time ever. Any recommendations on gear (guitar) shops or live music clubs to visit?
Thanks.
SJB

Antone's Nightclub is legendary (or at least it used to be) - especially for the blues. I have seen some great shows there. Stevie Ray used to play regularly in his early days. It has moved locations several times. It started on 6th, moved to Guadalupe, and is now on 5th. I was lucky to catch SRV there when it was on Guadalupe. I used to be in Austin somewhat regularly for work. 6th and 5th, also known as The Red River Cultural District is where the music was concentrated then. I haven't been since the early 2000s. But that area has always been a restaurant and nightlife hotspot.

The bats are really cool - the numbers are staggering. I had seen them a half dozen times before - but seeing them from a kayak on the river was the best of all. I don't remember the name of the company but there were several companies that offer kayak rentals. There are also tour boat operators that offer bat cruises if you don't want to get wet. Easy to make an amazing evening out of dinner, bats, and music on 5th and 6th. Or at least it used to be!

Reactions: SJB
At first, I thought bats was a typo for bars. :)
They literally darken the sky when they fly out from under the Congress Bridge. That's what makes the perspective from being on the water (close to the bridge) so cool. Close but not too close!! The kayak company warned us not to wait under the bridge (for obvious reasons - batshit is scary shit!). The tour boat operators know how to avoid the "fallout" and provide the best view. So we just paddled around by them.

The current on the river was mellow when I was there - definitely a totally unique experience!

6th street has lots of bars with live music, last time I was there.
Still lots of bars, but pretty much all you're going to get there is cover bands. One slimy booking agent has sewn up pretty much all the gigs down there and she's a cancer on the music scene, so they're low-paying and she just slots in whatever cover bands kiss her ass. Also, 6th on weekends is bonkers with drunk college kids and tourists, so if that's not your thing, I'd avoid it. Antone's is on 5th not far from the armageddon and often has decent stuff.

If you want live decent live music The Saxon Pub has good acts (and there's a music store right next door), as does Continental Club or the Gallery above it on South Congress. Also on South congress is C-Boys which often has great acts. If you can catch Red Young, Sketch Band, David Grissom, Monte Montgomery, Open 2.0 or Dave Scher while in town they're all worth seeing.

non-music-wise having a cocktail at the Driskill's bar is a very Texas experience, the main Library downtown is very cool, and of course a pilgrimage to the SRV statue in Zilker Park is always good.

Have fun!

Skylark Lounge over on Airport is a nice little blues joint. The Broken Spoke on South Lamar is legendary for country music.

About 30 miles south of Austin, Cheatham Street Warehouse in San Marcos is a great joint too with lots of history. SRV, Willie Nelson, George Strait, and tons of others have played there.

Last edited:
Hey all! Thanks for these great suggestions - really appreciate the detail. Turns out we were within walking distance of the The Saxon Pub. Made it down on Tuesday evening, and saw David Grissom. I have always enjoyed him from the Storyville days. Great show, and the door was free (made up for that in tips all the way around). Saw a lot of cool guitars too. Good trip. Thanks for the input!
SJB

Antone's Nightclub is legendary (or at least it used to be) - especially for the blues. I have seen some great shows there. Stevie Ray used to play regularly in his early days. It has moved locations several times. It started on 6th, moved to Guadalupe, and is now on 5th. I was lucky to catch SRV there when it was on Guadalupe. I used to be in Austin somewhat regularly for work. 6th and 5th, also known as The Red River Cultural District is where the music was concentrated then. I haven't been since the early 2000s. But that area has always been a restaurant and nightlife hotspot.

The bats are really cool - the numbers are staggering. I had seen them a half dozen times before - but seeing them from a kayak on the river was the best of all. I don't remember the name of the company but there were several companies that offer kayak rentals. There are also tour boat operators that offer bat cruises if you don't want to get wet. Easy to make an amazing evening out of dinner, bats, and music on 5th and 6th. Or at least it used to be!
love kayaking

Back
Top Bottom