Tone Tweaking for Different Guitars

Jalevinemd

Inspired
I use the FM3 for both home and live playing. I've got roughly 50 songs in my FM3 "playlist." I only bring one guitar to any gig but I have four that I would consider my main guitars. Unfortunately, the woods and overall construction of the four guitars are completely different from one to another. Shy of quadrupling the number of presets to accommodate each guitar, what pedal would you recommend to add to my FM3 rig that would allow me to do a better job of keeping my tone consistent between guitars quickly and on the fly? It's usually a matter of needing maybe a little extra high end, though sometimes I need a touch more gain. Just a simple graphic equalizer? Treble booster?

The only real answer is different presets for different guitars.

There's a gigrig three-input pedal that might suit your use case, but in my experience, modelers don't react to guitar changes on the same preset the way an amp does.

Adding some parameters to the Global Performance page would seem to a good solution. Amp Treble, High Treble, Drive/Gain and Level would be a place to start to quickly make any changes you would want before a gig or in the moment when changing guitars.

Another option would be to use Control Switches, 3 in your case, and attach them to the parameters you need to change to get the tone you want from each guitar. You can use the Custom Label on the footswitches to name them according to the guitar you're using.

Personally, I prefer the different guitars I have and use to sound different in the same preset. Unless your guitars are basically the same, i.e. all Les Pauls or variants, the type of guitar (Strat, Tele, P90's, humbuckers etc...) is part of the tone IMO.

...modelers don't react to guitar changes on the same preset the way an amp does.
This hasn't been my experience with the Axe III or FM3. Each guitars 'voice' is distinct and very evident when using the same preset.

Maybe a drive like the micro boost or FET preamp and channel select assigned to a switch. Gives you 4 options and those drives are low cpu. Not so much for gain but level matching and eq. Or a GEQ block which is low cpu.

I only bring one guitar to any gig but I have four that I would consider my main guitars. Unfortunately, the woods and overall construction of the four guitars are completely different from one to another.

Hear now, you’re saying wood and construction matters!? 🤣 tsk tsk.

Joking. Of course it does. But some disagree. They make videos and stuff to prove it too. And……back to your thread.

Back
Top Bottom