Tone Morphing: StepByStep

clarky

Axe-Master
1: Amp and Cab only
Start with just an amp and cab in the grid.
Leave plenty of space before and after the amp and cab, so consider having the amp in col5 and the cab in col6. Dial in a nice basic dirty / hi-gain tone.

2: “Cleaning” the tone
Assign a modifier to the amp's input-drive where the max setting represents your full-on dirty tone and the min setting is your clean tone.
- Is the tone clean enough?
-- Yes: job done
-- No: assign the same modifier to the input-trim so this also lowers as the XP moves to heel so you can get as clean as you need to be.

Note: play with the shape of the modifier’s curve to get the transitions between clean and dirty to feel right as you move the XP.
As the XP moves from heel to toe do you want the amp to?
- Stay cleaner for longer and all the gain piles in closer to the toe
- Dirty up sooner
- Have the transition between clean and dirty tone to be more linear

Personally I like the first option because it offers more 'expressive control' at the clean end of things. You need to experiment with this part of it to see what works best for you.
my settings [for my 5153Red] here are
For the Input-Drive
min=0.4
max=5
start=0
mid=30
end=100
slope=50
scale=1
offset=0
damping=4
off value=5

For the Input-Trim
min=0.1
max=1
start=0
mid=45
end=100
slope=100
scale=1
offset=0
damping=4
off value=5

Your min and max values will of course be different depending on what amp you choose, how clean you want it to get, how dirty you want it to get, if the amp has boost / bright / saturation switches on / off etc.

The reason I set the damping to 4ms is to make the XP react more quickly to movement. I want minimal lag.

The 'cleaned tone' will most likely now have a few problems. I should be too thin, it loses its feel and body, it is most likely too quiet and it will be too dry
We must address each of these issues one by one.

3: Fix-up the cleaned tone’s EQ and level
After the amp, you need to have a shunt followed by a mixer block.
For this example, place them on row2 on the grid.
In parallel with the shunt, add a PEQ block [row1 on the grid right above the shunt].
In the mixer, assign faders 1 and 2 to your morphing modifier and set them up so that when the XP is at toe, fader 1 is at min and fader 2 is at max, and when the XP is at min, fader1 is at max and fader2 is at min.
When you move the XP from toe to heel and back, you should see the faders moving in opposite directions.
What this does is to use the mixer to cross-fade between the shunt and the PEQ.
This means that we can fix up both the EQ and the level of the cleaned tone
in the PEQ. Just use bands 1 and 5 [1 for the lows, 5 for the highs], and apply large boosts [most likely 8dB or maybe even more].
With the XP at heel, dial in the settings of bands 1 and 5.
For example, mine are set like this
band 1 = 200Hz, Q=0.7, gain=8dB
band 5 = 2500Hz, Q=0.8, gain=8dB
I found that my cleaned tone was too quiet, so I set the level of the PEQ to 3dB
You're essentially killing two birds with one stone here, both the EQ and level of the cleaned tone.

Mixer modifier settings:
Gain1 [which in my case is row1 and controls the PEQ level]
min=0
max=100
start=100
mid=0
end=0
slope=100
scale=1
offset=0
damping=4
off value=5

Gain2 [which in my case is row2 and controls the signal through the shunt]
min=100
max=0
start=100
mid=0
end=0
slope=100
scale=1
offset=0
damping=4
off value=5

notice that my mister gain curves are the same, but have the min and max values reversed
the idea here is that they have an identical behaviour in opposite directions

4: Thickening the tone
You'll now find you've mended the cleaned tone's EQ and level but it's still missing something. It’ll feel a little brittle / wiry / lacking body.
Place a compressor before the amp.
We only want it to kick in as the tone cleans, so assign the mix control to the morphing modifier where XP at toe has the compressor totally dry and XP at heel has the compressor 100% wet.
Personally I preferred the compressor to kick in when the XP is around the mid point so the mix increases as the XP moves down to the heel.
My settings here are
min=0
max=100
start=100
mid=0
end=0
slop=100
scale=1
offset=0
damping=4
off value=5

For personal taste reasons, I liked the 'pedal 1' compressor
sustain = 3.5
emphasis=0
attack=10
release=10

Of course with the XP at heel, you can experiment with the compressor settings unit you find the tone and feel you're looking for.

Now your cleaned tone should be sounding thicker / better and feeling nicer to play.

5: Sweetening
The cleaned tone will be a little dry so we can sweeten it with some reverb.
Add a reverb in parallel with one of the shunts a few blocks after the mixer.
Set up a nice long ambient reverb. We only really want this to kick in once the dirty tone cleans from about the mid-point of the XP and to be strongest at heel.
Assign the Reverb Input-Gain to the morphing modifier and use similar curve settings as those used for the compressor’s mix control.
Experiment with the min and max settings so that you end up with a nice dry dirty tone and a nice reverb drenched cleaned tone.
If however you’re cleaning a soloing tone, you may want to have a moderate reverb when dirty, and make it more soaked when cleaned.

The above is a pretty basic configuration.
There’s much more stuff you can do with this.
Also, if you intend to us this method in a multi-tone / scene controlled preset, there are other things we need to consider.
We can look at that to.

Last edited:
O.K., clarky beat me to it ..., but it's better coming straight from the master ..., instead of getting diluted by one of the pupils !

Plus, he told me this would happen, but I couldn't tear myself away from playing long enough to write it all down!

My wife is pissed, but I'm eternally grateful for ALL the help !

Great timing Clarky!

I was thinking more about this morphing stuff recently and re-read your other threads just last night....then bam! Next morning I see this thread pop up - nice!!
I'll try to have a crack at this during the week. Thanks mate!

Just wrapped up another Quakecon and Ive haven't played guitar in 4 days. Been a while since I've done that. :)
I still need to update to 15.03 but I will follow your steps when I do.
Thanks for sharing your method.

I have thought about approaching something like this. I think it's a great idea but it would also be a lot easier to set up two amp blocks and two different cabs and set up a crossfade before them. This would only be feasilbe if you had relatively basic patches as it would be relatively CPU intensive.

But I do like the idea of morphing. MAybe you should do a video of this. Are you able to share some audio clips of your morphing?

Which amps do you think lend themselves to working best for Morphing (good high gain and relatively usable clean)?

Hey Clarky,

You said,

"In parallel with the shunt, add a PEQ block ."

The PEQ is after the cab, right?

Sent from my iPhone

I have thought about approaching something like this. I think it's a great idea but it would also be a lot easier to set up two amp blocks and two different cabs and set up a crossfade before them. This would only be feasilbe if you had relatively basic patches as it would be relatively CPU intensive.

But I do like the idea of morphing. MAybe you should do a video of this. Are you able to share some audio clips of your morphing?

Which amps do you think lend themselves to working best for Morphing (good high gain and relatively usable clean)?

Here's an older thread from Clarky that has an audio clip with explanations of what's happening - post #32 on this page: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/67508-preset-building-tone-morphing-2.html

Retread entire thread, I love your use of the Reveal feature to allow modifier switching as well as scenes! Opens up possibilities. Was still using your old morph method and using an IA to engage GEQ's for my leads, morphing between 2 amps to get clean and dirty leads.

Sent PM, trying to solve a few issues, but getting there! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Clarky,

Thanks Mate! This is great stuff. Any chance a screen shot of the layout in AxeEdit might come our way. I have to admit, I had a similar question to Bill? ;)

Cheers,

Lee

Clarky,

Thanks Mate! This is great stuff. Any chance a screen shot of the layout in AxeEdit might come our way. I have to admit, I had a similar question to Bill? ;)

Cheers,

Lee

That must be the tricky part to visualize, because that was the area that tripped me up too .... For some reason it "feels" like the PEQ should sit right above the Mixer. But, if you do that the Mixer has nothing to cross-fade ....

It's not clarky's instructions .... He's very specific and clear, but for some reason my brain couldn't register what he put down !

Great tutorial, Clarky.

I wouldn't consider it pretty basic though. ;)
I do agree with Geamala that crossfading between two Amp blocks, where you can control EQ, compression and level within the amp blocks themselves, is a good alternative.

Hi Clarky , really usefull thread !

Actually I have figured something like you describe only morphing in the amp itself ...
I have a patch made with a Fas Mod II cleaning really well ... Maybe not clean , something near breakup on the cleaner side , but it was my choice for that preset and I didn't try something more "extreme"

I ask you because I set the modifier on Drive and Input trim , like you but I figured to use level and master to tigheten the clean tone .
The result is really good .

Did you try something similar before to fall in your more complicated ( surely most effective) way of doing morphing?
I experiment a big delay/ lag when I switch to amp block in editing on AE ( MFC connected ) , the modifiers increases a lot CPU ....But in "play " mode I'm fine , really like the sound .

Maybe putting a lot of modifiers (4 ) in the same block is worst than putting it in different blocks at same time ?

I definitely want to try your method , and I'll do but I'm in search for some more "in-depth" reason of choice .
I'm referring to you because You are an "ancient" magician on this realm !
I really like your work on the forum and your sense of humour and kindness.

Many thanks from Italy !

Great tutorial, Clarky.

I do agree with Geamala that crossfading between two Amp blocks, where you can control EQ, compression and level within the amp blocks themselves, is a good alternative.

I disagree a little with this if is a matter of crossfading volumes between the 2 Amps in a mixer .

Morphing is intended in change the "tone " in little steps .
Actually I have a Really good patch and depending on the position of the ExtCTR I can play Hi-gain to Clean Breakup and every nuance in between .

Crossfading between Higain and Clean have a particular effect but is Really different , You'll never be able to have a blues little crunchy sound ...

It's like the difference having a volume before or after an amp
Before you simul a cleaning guitar volume pot , after a mixer volum fader

You're end having a little more volume on clean over higain or viceversa

Last edited:

Geamala –

I'm not clarky, but this is something he addressed w/ me via P.M. when I first contacted him …. Here's what he said:

There's two ways you can cross fade ….

1. pop both amps into a mixer block, and make the faders move in opposite directions as you 'throw' the Expression Pedal.
2. assign the level control of the two amps to the same modifier, and have them move in opposite directions …, which is exactly the same effect as with the mixer but with less CPU and also saving on grid real estate ….

Personally, I don't like the sound of cross fading …, here's why …, as the expression pedal moves from toe to heel, the dirty tone reduces in volume and the clean tone increases …, ( *note though that the amount of gain on the dirty tone remains the same ) …, so when the expression pedal is at the mid-point, you have two tones sounding simultaneously …. A quiet dirty and a quiet clean …. Thing is, the dirty tone, still having all that gain going on, but softly now, will start to sound a bit "wasp-ish" ….

This is why I prefer to take a dirty tone and actually clean it …, if means that you have a more natural sounding transition from dirty to clean and back, and you have useful tones throughout the throw of the expression pedal.

My english is a little poor but ...
THIS !!! +100

( *note though that the amount of gain on the dirty tone remains the same ) …, so when the expression pedal is at the mid-point, you have two tones sounding simultaneously …. A quiet dirty and a quiet clean …. Thing is, the dirty tone, still having all that gain going on, but softly now, will start to sound a bit "wasp-ish" ….

Clarky,

Cheers,

Lee

this is one a preset from about a year ago..

and this is what is sounds like

this preset is quite a bit more advanced than what I've been describing above..
it's a scene driven multi-function preset with morphing..
also, the riffing tone runs two amps simultaneous [that both morph clean together - not difficult to set up, but does take quite some time to get them to clean up at the same rate.. so it's a fussy / fiddly setup process more than anything else]
that said, the underlying morphing principles within it are essentially the same.. with the principle difference that I've replaced controlling the input-trim with multiple vol blocks.. more on why's and how's regarding all that later I guess...

my latest experimental presets have moved on some more.. I'm not up for posting these yet because there are still a few details that I'm noodling with..
essentially.. trying to get the maximum performance with the smallest CPU hit..
but config wise, they're pretty complex.. but it's all cool.. I'm not in a rush right now.. and so I'm still noodling..
it's a lot of fun..

Great tutorial, Clarky.

thanks matey…

erm.. yes.. the stuff above is essentially the fundamentals of morphing.. so that config is a simple one… lmao..
that said.. once you get your head around that, it's not that bad… and better.. you start getting creative with it..
it's just more of the same really..
which we can all do in here if everyone is up for it…

RD's quote say it all really… I'm so not a fan of cross-fading a dirty with a clean…
it's so un-natural sounding and there are only useable tones at heel and tone.. all the tones where the XP is anything other than heel or toe are just not nice..
when you morph tones though you'll find great tones no matter where you park the XP..

in my main preset, if I select my soloing scene, park the XP about 1/3 from heel, then fire up the phaser via IA5 [which in this scene switches to the Y side for a univibe], it's pure Hendrix…
you'll hear this at about the 3 min mark in the clip above… I can just lose myself in that tone for days...

here's an outline of what's happening with the fundamental morphing setup process…
and this is also the sequence you follow to set it up..

- clean the tone
- fix up what the cleaning breaks
- sweeten the tone with cool fx

Back
Top Bottom